none
Strange issue with a shared mailbox and a distribution group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I hope I can explain this as best as I can, because this is quite a strange problem.
    We are running a newly migrated exchange 2016 from 2010.
    We have a shared mailbox that several people in the organization have full access and send as permissions. 
    We have a distribution group that we forward emails when then come in to this shared mailbox, these people are external users.

Now comes the confusing part, when a user sends an email AS this shared mailbox, that email will appear in the SENT folder of every person that is in the distribution group. So essentially everybody that is part of the distribution group will get every email that comes in the inbox of the shared mailbox, as they should, but also any email that is sent as this mailbox will appear in their sent items, all of these people are external users which is important to note. 

Any idea how is this even possible or how to fix it?

• Edited by DamVu Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dam,

I understand that inbound messages inthe shared mailbox will forward to a DG, which consisting mail contacts/mail users. The issue is that the outbound messages from the shared mailbox are also delivered to the Sent Items fold of the external users' mailboxes.

1.What method you used to let the inbound messages in the shared mailbox be forwarded to the DG?

2.If you disable the emails forward to the DG, does the issue exist?

It's suggested that you could create a new shared mailbox and a new user mailbox for test. Assign the user mailbox full access and send as permissions of the shared mailbox. Then set up a inbox rule that forwarding messages in the shared mailbox to the distribution group. Repeat the steps that user mailbox sends a message as the shared mailbox, observe if the issue reproduces or not.

If the issue disappears, you could undo the users permission of the shared mailbox, and repeat the steps above.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:25 AM
  • That's because of the new functionality to automatically save messages sent as/on behalf of mailboxes. Combined with forwarding, it can cause the copy of the sent message to end up in everyone's folder. More details here: https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/1947/messagecopy-settings-and-forwarding

In your scenario, you can simple toggle the MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled flag.

• Marked as answer by DamVu Monday, May 6, 2019 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Hi DamVu,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Sunday, May 5, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Michev's link was very good in order to understand what and why this is happening, we tried to implement a work around by going to OWA and setting a rule to forward all emails to the distribution group but that only forwards to internal users. So looks like there is not much that can be done here, since we need the sent emails to be in the sent folder of the shared mailbox. 
    Monday, May 6, 2019 5:29 PM