none
What is ZF612707.CAB and why do I need it for Outlook 2003?

Question

• I've been trying to run Outlook 2003's detect and repair tool under Windows XP, but it always hangs on the following error:

"Installation Error: File not Found

A required installation file ZF612707.CAB could not be found"

I have the original Office 2003 disk in the drive, but apparently there's no ZF612707.CAB to be found on it. I've tried searching for it manually on the disk as well.

I've tried running Microsoft's Local Installation Source Tool, but unfortunately I get the same error:

"Can't find file: ZF612707.CAB"

There's no reference to ZF612707.CAB to be found in Microsoft's Knowledge Base. Can someone help?

Thanks

Walt

Sunday, June 6, 2010 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my experience, this issue is most likely caused by some of the registry keys for Office corrupted or missing. To resolve the issue, we need to remove and reinstall Office with the help of Windows Installer Clean up Utility.

Remove and reinstall Office 2003
    ======================
    You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data prior to removing Office if you use Outlook. You don't have to back up files for other Office applications such as Word, Excel as they are independent files on your hard drive.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Note: this article also applies to Outlook 2003.

Note: If you don't use Outlook for your emails, just skip this step and move on.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/m
    sicuu2.exe>

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2003 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries or other Office stand alone products such as FrontPage, Visio, OneNote, etc in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate11" to "OfficeUpdate11 OLD"

9. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

10. Empty the %Temp% folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don’t influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer and install Office 2003.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:54 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my experience, this issue is most likely caused by some of the registry keys for Office corrupted or missing. To resolve the issue, we need to remove and reinstall Office with the help of Windows Installer Clean up Utility.

Remove and reinstall Office 2003
    ======================
    You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data prior to removing Office if you use Outlook. You don't have to back up files for other Office applications such as Word, Excel as they are independent files on your hard drive.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Note: this article also applies to Outlook 2003.

Note: If you don't use Outlook for your emails, just skip this step and move on.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/m
    sicuu2.exe>

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2003 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries or other Office stand alone products such as FrontPage, Visio, OneNote, etc in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate11" to "OfficeUpdate11 OLD"

9. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

10. Empty the %Temp% folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don’t influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer and install Office 2003.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:54 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Thank you for all the info, Sally. I use Outlook for both e-mail and calendar appointments, so backing that up will be of prime importance. I REALLY appreciate you your help!

Walt

Monday, June 7, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Hi Walt,

Please take your time to back up the data and try the suggestions. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:33 AM