none
MOSS 2007: Application pools getting stopped of Web applications: error 503

Question

• Hi,

I have MOSS 2007 farm with 3 servers with 10 web applications. I am facing issue on one server where application pools getting stopped for all Web applications. I tried to start application pools but when opening sites then pools getting stopped immediate and getting 503 error for sites.

Not getting any specific error in event viewer.

One thing I observed, when I try below command to get application pools account and password:

appcmd.exe list apppool <<app_pool_name>> /text:*

on affected server getting service account name only but password is blank and on working server both service account and password are showing.

Please suggest how to resolve the issue.

Saturday, March 16, 2019 6:07 AM

Answers

• I found that someone have removed machine keys from the folder and moved to another backup folder.

I just copied those keys back to the working folder now application pool got the password and working fine. 

Friday, May 31, 2019 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Prakash,

Generally, this issue occurs when the Application Pool in IIS is configured to run under some custom account and this account either doesn't exist or the password has been changed.

Go to advanced properties of the Application Pool in IIS for the check, which account it uses. 

Click the stopped application pool -> click advanced settings ->Identity ->click the user to retype the user ->Application Pool Identity dialog ->click set -> manually type the user name and password. Then restart the server.

Thanks Ravikant Chaturvedi

Saturday, March 16, 2019 6:51 AM
  • I found that someone have removed machine keys from the folder and moved to another backup folder.

I just copied those keys back to the working folder now application pool got the password and working fine. 

Friday, May 31, 2019 9:36 AM