none
Possible to import from PST to a Public Folder mailbox? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if it's possible to import a PST containing exported contents from a Public Folder (mail items) into an Exchange 2016 Public Folder mailbox.

As some background info, we are currently on Exchange 2010 and would like to migrate to Exchange 2016.  A couple of years ago we acquired a company that had a large amount of Public Folder data (they were using it as sort of a mail archive for projects and to assist users in keeping their mailboxes under quota).  So I have hundreds of public folders that I've migrated from their old Exchange 2007 server to the tune of over 400GB.

In order to (hopefully) have an easier time runing the PFMigration scripts I was wondering if I could just export these public folders to PST and remove them from the server (or at least exclude them from the migration scripts) and manually import them from PST as needed afterward. Unfortunately when I've searched to see if this was possible I'm only seeing articles regarding Exchange 2013 and my understanding is the Exchange 2016 Public Folder mailbox feature is either new or at least fundamentally different than in 2013. Thanks.

Monday, June 19, 2017 12:14 PM

All replies

• Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, June 19, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Exchange 2016 Public Folder mailbox feature is the same as Exchange 2013.

And you should import PST to public folders, not Public Folder Mailbox.

I believe the PST files are exported from outlook, so you need to import PST files with the same way -- import them to public folders in Exchange 2016 via outlook. Though it's possible (I test it and it works fine), but it's not recommended. 

Try coexistence of Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016, then use the recommended methods in the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn912663(v=exchg.160).aspx

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:33 AM