none
WSE2016 Storage Spaces Gone after System restore! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

I had a storage spaces pool comprising 16no drives and 2no ssd journal drives.

I had a failure of the sata card and after days of sorting it, I decided to restore entire system from last week. 

After the restore, which went particularly sooth, my storage space is not showing anywhere.!!!

Please advise what to do? is there a way of restoring storage space configuration via PowerShell?

at the moment am I looking at loss of 20TB of data?

Please help!

Some research and troubleshooting established:

Get-Storagepool

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly
    ------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ----------
    Primordial   OK                Healthy      True         False    

Get-PhysicalDisk 

Reports all disks forming the pool in starting state.

I was considering resetting the disk states, however would loose the pool. 

Is there anything I can do to save the pool?

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, your question is mainly about Storage, so, I had moved your thread to Storage forum and relate product expert may provide you more information.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

1.Please run "get-virtualdisk" and uplaod your result.

2.Why do you restore your system when your SATA card failed, have you contact your storage veendor to seek help? 

3.>>all disks forming the pool in starting state.

In general,  there seems to be something wrong with the disk. Please contact your disk veendor to check the disk state.

4.For now, if you can access these disk, you can backup all the data, and reset the disk, Otherwise, I'm afraid we have no other way to recover the data.

I've noticed that you mentioned your next action plan in this link, As a last resort, we can only try our luck.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/71838973-c06f-49a6-92c7-bbb867ae3db4/storage-pool160not-listed-all-physical-disks-stuck-in-quotstartingquot?forum=winserverfiles

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Hi Daniel

In order to sort out the sata card, I have tried quite a few suggestions (the card is a dell perc I). When I finally got it to work I ended up wit Open Manage Essentials 2.5 (which required plenty of perquisites incl. SQL server etc) and other junk including Storage Spaces Recovery.

I wanted to have my system perfect, as from before the failure and hence the system restore. 

After that (system restore), regardless of what I did, I couldn't get the pool to re-appear.

The sata card was working fine.

I followed the suggestion of Peter from the post you linked and did in place upgrade to WSE2019. That was the only way to have the pool recognised and to access my files. 

Its not something wrong with the disks, its the storage pool. As Peter mentioned, system restore writes something to the disks and the pool "hangs". Disks are in starting mode trying to read some mis-matched info.

I did downgrade from WSE2019 to WSE2016 and again, the pool was gone. Again I think its the restore process.

The only choice was to carry on with crippled WSE2019 (without the essentials experience role). I know that experts would prefer to build their own system, however for me, essentials experience was a god send and filled the gap.

For now, I am sticking with WSE2019 as I replicated some of the most required functions. It is beyond me to set up a http interface to access the files from the browser.

Returning to your suggestions referring me back to the vendor is not really helpful. Not sure what they could suggest apart from formatting the disk.

it would be lovely to go back to WSE2016. To confirm, fresh install of WSE 2016 does not fix the issue.

BTW, I had the disk checked and they are just fine. 

• Edited by zulu777 Friday, October 25, 2019 6:29 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 6:12 PM
  • as my previous response
    Friday, October 25, 2019 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, at present, no more suggestions can be given. Let's listen to the voice of other users.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, October 28, 2019 6:39 AM