none
We don't use User Profile(Profile, Social, Sync DB) I don't think, is migrating the Content Databases Neccessary? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All.

We don't use User Profile(Profile, Social, Sync DB) I don't think. Is backing-up and migrating these databases necessary at all when migrating to SharePoint 2013? We are not using Performance Point in SharePoint 2010 either. Is the database in PerformancePoint necessary to migrate?

Mike W

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:26 PM

All replies

• The problem is that if you don't migrate the UPA, you said you created a fresh one, then the settings that point to the MySite won't be there.  So when a user tries to navigate to the mysite they will find that one already exists and the navigation will fail.  Its possible, but you'll have to manually update each user profile to point to the appropriate mysite.  I don't think I would want to do that for 2,000 sites.

If you import the profile database when you create the UPA, migrate the service instead of create a new one.  Then the mysites should still work when you do the content database connect to the mysite web application.

So, i would say Migrate the User Profile Service Databases, Performance Point i would say just built a New one you don't have to migrate but there is no harm in migrating as well.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:46 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. Is it required to make all of these content databases read-only before I back-up the databases and migrate? I tried to make the Managed Metadata and Profile Service read-only, but it says:

Alter failed for Database "Managed Metadata Service_5cd8.............

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch

Mike W

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:55 PM
  • Just follow below article following steps to move Service applications databases. and also if you receive any error in between please send us the full error to have a look.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/move-or-rename-service-application-databases

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Hi, Mike,

I am checking how things are going here. Do you have any further concerns? Please mark the reply as answer if you find it helpful.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 27, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Hi, Mike and all community members,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for helpful information.

Request/Expectation:

OP wants to skip migrating content data base when upgrade the environment to SharePoint 2013. User Profile (Profile, Social, Sync DB) service are not used.

Suggestions:

Refer to Sharath’s reply, the best practice is to import the profile database when creating the UPA, migrate the service instead of creating a new one.  Then the My Sites should still work when you do the content database connect to the My site web application.

Please following steps to move Service applications databases.

Reference Links:

Move or rename service application databases in SharePoint Server

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:06 AM