none
Still lots of SPdistbutedCache entries in the ULS log RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got the Dist. cache account changed from using the farm account to another account and the Newsfeed still shows all entries :-)

The previous post is here

But when I look in the ULS logs i still see the 

"Unable to write SPDistributedCache call usage entry" - Level High in the ULS ...

The SuperUser and SuperReader account is properly configured.   

How do I get rid of this entry?   

And is it even possible to get a "clean" ULS log where everything is going as it should? I know that a healthy farm still reports a lots of errors :) 

This for instance is reported as High level: 

Failed to get document content data. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Cannot complete this function at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSqlClient.GetDocumentContentRow(Int32 rowOrd, Object ospFileStmMgr, SPDocumentBindRequest& dbreq, SPDocumentBindResults& dbres)

Failure when fetching document. 70012

• Edited by JmATK Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:49 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:35 AM

Answers

• ULS is never going to be 'clean'. The SPDistCache errors may not be an issue at all, though you can check out https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219613.aspx#finetune to see if that helps at all.

That High message you're seeing is normal as well.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JmATK Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:08 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Later this year, I believe (I don't control publication, so yeah...).

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JmATK Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:12 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:11 PM
  • That's correct. Just record the current values first.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by JmATK Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:46 PM

All replies

• ULS is never going to be 'clean'. The SPDistCache errors may not be an issue at all, though you can check out https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219613.aspx#finetune to see if that helps at all.

That High message you're seeing is normal as well.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by JmATK Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:08 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Hi Trevor 

Thank you - can you elaborate on the release date of the E-book? (no need for paperback here :-)...  )   
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:10 PM
  • Later this year, I believe (I don't control publication, so yeah...).

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by JmATK Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:12 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hi Trevor 

And I can "undo" the fine tuning just by setting the current parameters back in the script and run the script again ? (reason for asking is because I've seen some strange behaviors from the Farm)

• Edited by JmATK Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:02 AM
  • That's correct. Just record the current values first.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by JmATK Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Hi Trevor 

I've recorded the values - and one I've inserted below .. seems like the (main) change - besides the RequestTimeOut - the "finetune" script does is changing the MaxConnectionsToServer which current is 4 in the farm and the script sets this to 1. 

As I read the below the "recommended" value when there's only 1 WFE server (with 4 cores)  is 4 Maxconnection or is the value 1 the best way to go?

Consider tuning MaxConnectionToServer setting. This setting controls the number of connections 
    from a client to cache servers. (MaxConnectionsToServer * Number of DataCacheFactory Instances *Number of Application
    Processes) is a rough value for the number of connections that will be opened to each of the
    cache servers. So, if you have 2 instances of your web role with 1 cache factory and
    MaxConnectionsToServer set to 3, there will be 3*1*2 = 6 connections opened to each of
    the cache servers. Setting this to number of cores (of the application machine) is a good place to start.
    If you set this too high, a large number of connections can get opened to each of the cache
    servers and can impact throughput.

- are there any pages that describes the "Best practice" values for each of the settings e.g. MaxBufferPoolSize?  

• Edited by JmATK Friday, September 9, 2016 5:05 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2016 4:59 AM