none
How do I install 32 bit Outlook on my 64 bit Windows Machine? RRS feed

• Question

• My installer puts in 64 bit office (Outlook in particular) when i uninstall/reinstall.  How can I install Outloock 32 bit?  I need it to work with Intella http://vound-software.com/resources which only supports a 32 bit export for PSTs ath the moment.  

Is there any functional advantage in Office 64 or is it mainly for future expansion?  Right now I just need to install Outlook 10/32-bit (86x) as my default email browser so I can create and filter PSTs.

Thanks,

Curt

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• Processors that are 64-bit are becoming the standard for systems that range from servers to desktop computers. The 64-bit systems can use more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems. This lets users work with much larger data sets than they could previously, and to analyze and solve large computational problems. Microsoft Office 2010 introduces native 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office products to take advantage of this larger capacity. For example, this additional capacity is needed only by those Microsoft Excel users who require Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB). The 32-bit version of Office 2010 provides the same functionality and is also compatible with 32-bit add-ins. Therefore, the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is installed by default.

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you install 32-bit (x86) Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

• If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they can install the 64-bit (x64) edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.

The Office 2010 installation DVD contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2010 with two architecture-specific folders: one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Each of the architecture folders contains a Setup.exe file for the specific platform. There is also a Setup.exe file at the root folder. This is referred to as the platform chooser. The following figure shows the folder structure.

64-bit Office 2010 client DVD

The following figure shows how Setup determines whether to install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2010 when Setup is run from the root of the media source (DVD) that contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2010.

Office 2010 Setup chooser

Thus, if you already have 64-bit version of Office application installed, we should remove it from the system and reinstall the 32-bit version instead.

See how uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:34 AM