none
Can't do ping from remote host to my server RRS feed

• Question

• I have the File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In) rule enabled and the firewall is on and is not working, always returns "timeout request" when try to do ping from any remote host

I tried turning off the firewall just for testing this and also is not working, my server has internet connection and it's working fine, I tried enabling and disabling the rule many times and still not success

I restore the firewall settings and enabled the require rules again and still nothing

Some idea or hint about what could be the problem?

Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:18 PM

All replies

• Might try tracert to see where the connection is dropped.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:15 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in this forum.

Based on my knowledge, “timeout request” means that although ICMP Echo Request was sent to the destination IP, the ICMP Echo Reply did not return for the timeout elapsed. It can not be determined whether ICMP Echo Request is packet loss in the middle of the router or ICMP Echo Reply is packet loss. This can be due to many different causes.

I agree with Dave, and you also can try Pathping to confirm where packet loss is occurring.

You may refer to the following link for details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-2000-server/cc940095(v=technet.10)

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:53 AM
  • I have the File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In) rule enabled and the firewall is on and is not working, always returns "timeout request" when try to do ping from any remote host

I tried turning off the firewall just for testing this and also is not working, my server has internet connection and it's working fine, I tried enabling and disabling the rule many times and still not success

I restore the firewall settings and enabled the require rules again and still nothing

Some idea or hint about what could be the problem?

Remote host?

What you mean by remote host, a system on other side of the world? 

Or a system that is not part your local network and is separated by a router?

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:56 AM