none
duplicate mailbox in two db RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have two exchange in DAG with 3 db. I move users fom one db to another. I list db users mailbox a find users mailbox moved yesterday is in both db, size and item count is different and active is from now db.
    • Edited by mdvorak72 Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hello, I have two exchange in DAG with 3 db. I move users fom one db to another. I list db users mailbox a find users mailbox moved yesterday is in both db, size and item count is different and active is from now db.

When mailboxes are moved, the original mailbox is soft-deleted on the origin database. This is by design

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(v=exchg.150).aspx

• When a mailbox is moved to a different mailbox database, Exchange doesn't fully delete the mailbox from the source mailbox database when the move is complete. Instead, the mailbox in the source mailbox database is switched to a soft-deleted state. Like disabled mailboxes, soft-deleted mailboxes are retained in the source database either until the deleted mailbox retention period expires or until the Remove-StoreMailbox cmdlet is used to purge the mailbox.

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Marked as answer by David Wang_ Monday, July 11, 2016 5:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

Can the migrated user connect to Outlook or OWA normally?

As above mentioned,the original mailbox is soft-deleted on the origin database. 

Please run the following command to identify soft-deleted mailboxes in your organization. Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-MailboxStatistics | Where { $_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted" } | ft DisplayName,Database,DisconnectDate

I suggest you also have a look at the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9a2e883b-8c0f-4a7b-a1fe-f215d501231e/duplicate-mailboxes-on-exchange-server?forum=exchange2010  

Regards,                                                                           

David

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Akampa Friday, July 8, 2016 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Monday, July 11, 2016 9:05 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:19 AM

All replies

When mailboxes are moved, the original mailbox is soft-deleted on the origin database. This is by design

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(v=exchg.150).aspx

• When a mailbox is moved to a different mailbox database, Exchange doesn't fully delete the mailbox from the source mailbox database when the move is complete. Instead, the mailbox in the source mailbox database is switched to a soft-deleted state. Like disabled mailboxes, soft-deleted mailboxes are retained in the source database either until the deleted mailbox retention period expires or until the Remove-StoreMailbox cmdlet is used to purge the mailbox.

• Marked as answer by David Wang_ Monday, July 11, 2016 5:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:25 PM
  • what is the OP's actual question? he doesnt seem to ask one
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Ok, my ideda was optimalization one big db to more smaler db for beter replication DAG on dedicated place... Now I have more big db and must wait a time for deleted soft-deleted state.. I hope so for shrink size db after retention period.. Maybe is not a problem becouse replication copy only changes.. It is right?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:11 PM
  • Ok, my ideda was optimalization one big db to more smaler db for beter replication DAG on dedicated place... Now I have more big db and must wait a time for deleted soft-deleted state.. I hope so for shrink size db after retention period.. Maybe is not a problem becouse replication copy only changes.. It is right?

The database will not shrink on disk. If you moved all the mailboxes from it and do not need it, you can simply delete it. 

You can purge soft-deleted mailboxes otherwise or wait till the deleted mailbox retention time expires.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:13 PM
  • replication is really log shipping. So whatever makes log on original will ship the transaction log to the copy.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

Can the migrated user connect to Outlook or OWA normally?

As above mentioned,the original mailbox is soft-deleted on the origin database. 

Please run the following command to identify soft-deleted mailboxes in your organization. Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-MailboxStatistics | Where { $_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted" } | ft DisplayName,Database,DisconnectDate

I suggest you also have a look at the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9a2e883b-8c0f-4a7b-a1fe-f215d501231e/duplicate-mailboxes-on-exchange-server?forum=exchange2010  

Regards,                                                                           

David

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Akampa Friday, July 8, 2016 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Monday, July 11, 2016 9:05 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Yes, migrated user connect to Outlook or OWA normally.

After few days realy soft deleted mailbox vanished.

Thanx for help

Monday, July 11, 2016 9:04 AM