locked
Cannot access Sharepoint Services site RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hey everyone,

    I am having a problem accessing my Sharepoint Services site. The problem seems to be that on XP I cannot access the site when typed in "http://servername/" or "http://servername.domain.com", instead to access the site I need to enter http://servername.domain.com/default.aspx, on Vista even this does not work spitting out a "The requested URL could not be retrieved" error or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

    The system has worked in the past with Sharepoint Services 2.0 but since reinstalling the machine with 3.0 it does not seem to be working. Some other information which may help, the machine is Windows 2003 as a domain member. The system is a clean install with Dot net 2 and 3, plus ASP.net 2. IIS and DNS seem to be working. Any ideas would be good!
    Thanks


    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:48 AM

Answers

  • Ive cracked it, the resolution is the URL to which you enter the site.

    You need to firstly have an external Domain to point at the server i.e companyweb.yourdomain.com then go to Sharepoint Administration, Click Operations, Global Configuration, then  "Alternate Access Mappings". Click Edit public URL's, set the "Alternate Access Mapping Collection" to be the Default Sharepoint Site (Usually Servername - 80) then you get 5 sub categories for different access rights. Simply set the "internet" as companyweb.yourdomain.com. Apply the changes and your done.

    Hope you get the same results.

    Cheers,

    Kris

    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:08 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Ive just had the exact same thing, i tried checking the host headers were in place for the domain name. It will redirect you from http://servername to http://servername/default.aspx internally but not externally. Try double checking you have the document format in place in IIS, i.e Documents tab, in the content box : enter default.aspx.

    I have checked as many things as i can think of and no solution as yet..sorry.

    Kris

     

     

    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:27 AM
  • Ive cracked it, the resolution is the URL to which you enter the site.

    You need to firstly have an external Domain to point at the server i.e companyweb.yourdomain.com then go to Sharepoint Administration, Click Operations, Global Configuration, then  "Alternate Access Mappings". Click Edit public URL's, set the "Alternate Access Mapping Collection" to be the Default Sharepoint Site (Usually Servername - 80) then you get 5 sub categories for different access rights. Simply set the "internet" as companyweb.yourdomain.com. Apply the changes and your done.

    Hope you get the same results.

    Cheers,

    Kris

    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Thanks for the responses, I will have a look at them settings. But so far I think things are working well, it just comes down to how we enter the URL and how the DNS server is understanding it. Majority of the time it works.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:27 AM