Large Mail.que database in Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• General discussion

• [Background]

Since Exchange 2013 is released, some user may come across the following situations:

• The space of disk C is used up.
    • The transport service stops processing messages.
    • The Mailbox server is crash.

In this case, the issue can be resolved with checking with the mail.que file which is in the following path on the Mailbox server:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Queue

[Symptom]

The Mail.que file on all Exchange 2013 servers grows very large and it’s even over 20 GB.

[Cause]

It’s a by design behavior.

Different from the previous Exchange server, Safety Net which has the same function with the Transport dumpster in Exchange 2013 takes up the volume of the mail.que file and it’s the feature which is responsible for the large size of the mail.que in Exchange 2013.  And here is a reference about the feature Safety Net in Exchange 2013:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657495(v=exchg.150).aspx

[Workarounds]

1. Allocate large space for the Exchange 2013 installation or increase the volume for Exchange 2013.

These articles will also provide further detail of size calculating:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/14/released-exchange-2013-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/06/ask-the-perf-guy-sizing-exchange-2013-deployments.aspx

(See section: “Transport storage requirements”)

2. Moved queue database to another drive by using Move-DatabasePath

3. Reduce the SafetyNetHoldTime and MessageExpirationTimeouton values to one day (default values are 2 days). And these commands can be in use:

Set-TransportConfig SafetyNetHoldTime 1.00:00:00

Get-TransportService | Set-TransportService -MessageExpirationTimeout 1.00:00:00

Please click to vote if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 15, 2014 5:48 AM

All replies

• Thanks for confirmation,been strugling With this since dawn of Exchange 2013.

So far we have tried to rename the Queue folder so it creates New,but issue comes back within a week.Now its over 10GB in size.

Read somewhere that low memory might cause the mail.que database to grow,is it true?

Will try to set safetynet Down to 1 day and see if it helps :)

And by the way the command should be Set-TransportConfig -SafetyNetHoldTime 1.00:00:00

(you forgot - infront of safetynetholdtime)

Thanks!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Edited by Off2work Monday, September 15, 2014 7:25 AM Edit
    Monday, September 15, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks a lot for you wonderful post  and i have been searching answer for this query for a long time .

I just wanted to clarify one of my query. Will exchange server automatically rename the mail.que database to new database when  the size of the original queue database reaches to a certain level.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, September 15, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Hi,

as far as i know Exchange doesnt do it automatically.We had to rename the Queue folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\ to Queue.old,then restart Exchange transport service.New Queue folder will be created and the old one can be deleted.

Another thing to mention is that C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp folder keeps growing,we also have to delete those file manually.

We have a bat file that delete files in certain folder that are older than two days,but this command doesnt work for temp folder:

forfiles.exe /p "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp" /s /m *.* /d -21 /c "cmd /c del @file"

Reason is because those files doesnt have any extension.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Edited by Off2work Monday, September 15, 2014 6:27 PM edit
    Monday, September 15, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Hi , 

Thanks for your immediate response.

If i am not mistaken temp folder in the following location "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp" is filled up the malware protection in exchange 2013 .If we turn off the malware protection we can avoid logs filling up the temp folder in exchange 2013 and this is also an well known issue in exchahge 2013 .

In one of the article ,I have read mail.que will automatically get renamed .So i just wanted to clarify that .Anyhow thanks for clearing my doubt .

Referred article : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/8fe755e5-bbac-470a-8031-727f6d4d64c0/temp-and-mailque-growing-very-large?forum=exchangesvradmin

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

as far as i know Exchange doesnt do it automatically.We had to rename the Queue folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\ to Queue.old,then restart Exchange transport service.New Queue folder will be created and the old one can be deleted.

Another thing to mention is that C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp folder keeps growing,we also have to delete those file manually.

We have a bat file that delete files in certain folder that are older than two days,but this command doesnt work for temp folder:

forfiles.exe /p "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp" /s /m *.* /d -21 /c "cmd /c del @file"

Reason is because those files doesnt have any extension.

What version of Exchange 2013 are you on? The Temp files issue is no longer a problem with the latest CUs.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Hi Andy,

thanks for headsup,we are still on CU3,since there have been issue with every CU updates released since.So we have been waiting and waiting.Heard CU6 also have some issues,so still waiting....

Do you have article with a fix for the temp file growing?

thanks

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:56 PM
  • [Background]

Since Exchange 2013 is released, some user may come across the following situations:

• The space of disk C is used up.
    • The transport service stops processing messages.
    • The Mailbox server is crash.

In this case, the issue can be resolved with checking with the mail.que file which is in the following path on the Mailbox server:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Queue

[Symptom]

The Mail.que file on all Exchange 2013 servers grows very large and it’s even over 20 GB.

[Cause]

It’s a by design behavior.

Different from the previous Exchange server, Safety Net which has the same function with the Transport dumpster in Exchange 2013 takes up the volume of the mail.que file and it’s the feature which is responsible for the large size of the mail.que in Exchange 2013.  And here is a reference about the feature Safety Net in Exchange 2013:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657495(v=exchg.150).aspx

[Workarounds]

1. Allocate large space for the Exchange 2013 installation or increase the volume for Exchange 2013.

These articles will also provide further detail of size calculating:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/14/released-exchange-2013-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/06/ask-the-perf-guy-sizing-exchange-2013-deployments.aspx

(See section: “Transport storage requirements”)

2. Moved queue database to another drive by using Move-DatabasePath

3. Reduce the SafetyNetHoldTime and MessageExpirationTimeouton values to one day (default values are 2 days). And these commands can be in use:

Set-TransportConfig SafetyNetHoldTime 1.00:00:00

Get-TransportService | Set-TransportService -MessageExpirationTimeout 1.00:00:00

Please click to vote if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

You cant move the queue database with move-databasepath. You have to follow this method:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125177(v=exchg.150).aspx

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Hi Andy ,

Thanks for your response .

We have been using exchange 2013 CU4 and yet to be updated to cu6. we had an temp folder in exchange which is filling up with logs , so to avoid that on that time we have disabled the Antimalware protection in exchange 2013 CU4.

I had got the above solution when i was searching for that query in internet.

After doing that we didn't see any huge logs generation on that folder .Anyhow if it is resolved in exchange cu5 or cu6 definitely myself and my customers will feel happy.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Hi Andy,

thanks for headsup,we are still on CU3,since there have been issue with every CU updates released since.So we have been waiting and waiting.Heard CU6 also have some issues,so still waiting....

Do you have article with a fix for the temp file growing?

thanks

Im not aware of any public article, no. But it is fixed. 

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Hi ,

Please have a look in to the below mentioned article .

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/c14861ab-cc0f-4c01-ad50-5427ae3ced23/exchange-2013-transportrolesdatatemp-filling-up-disk

Especially the reply from danny . From that we have got some idea .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:13 PM