none
The ReFS volume can not be recognized even though all the HDDs are recognizing the parity configuration storage space

Question

• The title is as follows.

A few years ago, I created a parity drive on Windows Server 2012. The configuration is as follows.

HDD: SATA 3 TB x 4, file system: ReFS v 1, recoverability: parity, number of columns: 4

I tried to connect this parity drive to the Windows 10 Enterprise Edition Insider Preview version and copy the data to a new HDD.

However, I missed the entire parity drive in the middle of copying. (Now I should suspend processing at this point in doubt, I was confidently overconfidence of ReFS 's recoverability)

After rebooting, the drive became visible again, so I updated the driver of the SATA I / F card that I have connected and started copying again. But again the drive came out of sight. And when I restarted the PC, I got into a strange situation.

I can mount the drive, but I can not see the file system. It became recognized as "RAW" file system. Supplemental note: I have used version v1 without raising the version of ReFS.

I thought it was funny and I connected the drive to the machine at Window Server 2012 again, but the result was the same. The drive appears, but when you access it the following message will be displayed.

"Z: \ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

I attempted to rescue the file with ReclaiMe or R-Studio, but it seemed that some files were corrupted. I do not know if this comes from the imperfections of these software, or it really got broken.

Since ReFS is not a premise that it is damaged, chkdsk does not exist, so I think that it can not be set to the previous mount state.

As a question, is there a way to mount this parity drive again so that it can be successfully accessed from the Explorer?

The HealthStatus of Get-PhysicalDisk of the HDD belonging to the parity drive is all Healty.

ReclaiMe can make VHDX file, but even mounts of 8 TB VHDX files mounted as RAW drive. It was impossible to repair the created VHDX with VHDTool.exe.

Perhaps it seems to be a problem with the I / F card, but maybe it is a bug against ReFS v1 in Windows 10. (It may be wet clothing)

Please let me know if you have any additional information to provide.

As an interesting behavior, I attempted mounting after removing four HDDs one by one and connecting three HDDs, the following two different behaviors have taken place.

1. Can mount but ReFS volume is not visible from Explorer

2. Can not mount. A red error mark appears instead of a warning in Server Manager

When I right-click Virtual Disks in Server Manager, "Repair Virtual Disk" appears. Even though all HDDs are connected and all are in Healthy state. Should I try "Repair Virtual Disk"?

I also found the following log in the Event log.

Drive hosting data for virtual disk {e7c3c7f8-e323-11e2-93f0-001fd095158f} have failed or are missing. As a result, no copy of data is available at offset [Slab 0x0 Column 1 Copy 0 State 4 Reason 1] [Slab 0x0 Column 2 Copy 0 State 2 Reason 1].

If I have no choice but to recover from the backup, I will not be able to trust ReFS's parity drive, but if it can be confirmed that two or more drives are corrupt it may be inevitable.

• Edited by watercolor Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:48 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:39 AM

All replies