none
Publishing Approval workflow not starting when client Office application checks in a Major version RRS feed

• Question

• We are running SP Server 2013 and have a site collection with a document center site on it.

On a document library I setup a Publishing Approval workflow (which doesn't seem to have a SP2013 template but a 2010 template, not sure why) and checked this option "<label for="onetidSetAsDefault">Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item.</label>" which in turn disables "creating / changing an item will start this workflow" options.

Also I checked "Update the approval status after the workflow is completed (use this workflow to control content approval)."

I set versioning to create major and minor versions, to require content approval for submitted items and to require documents to be checked out before they can edited. 

So after that I did a couple tests as follows:

1. Check out document from Ribbon in browser
    2. Edit in Web App or client Word, Excel.
    3. Save item, exit
    4. Check in item from Ribbon in browser, at this point the dialog asks me to check in a minor or a major version or overwrite current minor version.
    5. I pick major version and another dialog asks me to start workflow. 
    6. I click Start and the workflow creates the tasks and sends out the emails.
    7. The tasks are approved and the document gets published.

Now If I try this, but instead at step 4. use the Check in button built in on the client Word or Excel, I never get prompted to Start Workflow, and also a workflow is never started even though I am submitting a major version. 

Why the workflow is not started for a check in on a major version from a client application?

Update.

the reason we have OOTB SP2010 workflow templates is the out of the box workflows that ship with SharePoint 2013 are still SharePoint 2010-based workflows. Since SharePoint 2013 uses the Workflow Manager service, you must use SharePoint Designer to create 2013-based workflows. The out of the box approval workflow for 2013 is the same one that was used in 2010.

• Edited by alec.ac Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies