none
In cloud Mailboxes in Hybrid Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• We are in a hybrid deployment with mailboxes on exchange 2013 as well as Office 365, Can an In-cloud (Office 365) mailbox which does not have any reference object (Mail Enabled User/ Remote Mailbox) on Exchange server work normally?

I tried testing it but the emails gets bounced back saying the mailbox doesn't exist, I can send emails from the In-Cloud mailbox obviously because Office365 is sending the emails directly out, but in case of inboud email, the email is coming from Exchange Server which is unable to find the reference object. I have set both the domains as "Internal Relay".

Is it compulsory to create a remote mailbox or a mail enabled user on Exchange Server for the In cloud account as well?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:01 AM

Answers

• Yes, if you want full interoperability between the two environments, you need to have representation of all the objects within the unified GAL. You can either create a user object for the cloud mailboxes and soft/hard match it to the ExO mailbox (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641663) or simply create any type of object and configure its targetaddress attribute to point to the corresponding ExO alias.
    • Marked as answer by Maaz-Siddiqui Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:41 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:40 AM

All replies

• Yes, if you want full interoperability between the two environments, you need to have representation of all the objects within the unified GAL. You can either create a user object for the cloud mailboxes and soft/hard match it to the ExO mailbox (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641663) or simply create any type of object and configure its targetaddress attribute to point to the corresponding ExO alias.
    • Marked as answer by Maaz-Siddiqui Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:41 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Hi Vasil,

Are you sure it won't work even if the domains are set as "Internal Relay"?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:40 AM