none
Issue with Indexing in Windows confusing C disk with D disk - need to change SID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently got a Samsung SSD disk an I use the data migration tool to move my Windows 8 from my Hard Disk to my SSD.

After the migration, I replaced the hard drive with my SSD and installed the hard drive as a second disk, which I configured as the drive for my documents, swap file, temporary storage, etc.

However I noticed eventually that the search was not working as expected. In particular, search is not returning the items under my start menu as it should. Any other search location I try to add from my new C drive does not seem to work as expected.

Under search options, I can see that any location added from partition C was listed as D (unavailable). As the screenshot below demonstrates:

Indexing is trying to look for Inetpub found in C: drive on the D: drive instead.

I did some digging and I found out in the registry the way the search locations are configured in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb266540(v=vs.85).aspx

<protocol>://<store or SID>\<path>\[item]
    or
    <protocol>://<store or SID>/<path>/[item]

I looked into my registry and I realised that the SID both my C drive and D drive are the same. For example consider these two locations I manually added to my indexing and how they get listed under the registry:

C:\inetpub is listed as --> file:///C:\[1bebad92-646b-4cdd-8aca-32e68c79ac9e]\inetpub\
    D:\Utils is listed as --> file:///C:\[1bebad92-646b-4cdd-8aca-32e68c79ac9e]\Utils\

As you can see, both partitions are listed as having the same SID. This only happens with my C and D drives. Any other disk I attach an configure indexing for gets a different SID.

I was wondering how can I modify my D drive to make sure that it gets a different SID. I tried using DISKPART uniqueid command on my Disk 1 (the one with the D drive) and restarted the search service but that is not it.

I'm at a loss here. could someone please advise?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    P.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:45 AM

Answers

• I looked all around for a way to change the partition SID but I could not find anything. So in the end what I had to do is backup (copy) the contents of the D partition, delete that partition (not format), then create it again. Now when adding the disk to the index, I noticed it works as expected. I verified the registry and partition D now has a different SID.

A bit disappointed that I could not find a way to change the SID of partition D without deleting the partition altogether.

If anyone knows how to do it, please be so kind to let me know :)

Regards,
    P.

• Edited by pmdci Monday, August 18, 2014 7:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LSModerator Monday, August 18, 2014 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by pmdci Monday, August 18, 2014 12:53 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:58 AM

All replies

• I looked all around for a way to change the partition SID but I could not find anything. So in the end what I had to do is backup (copy) the contents of the D partition, delete that partition (not format), then create it again. Now when adding the disk to the index, I noticed it works as expected. I verified the registry and partition D now has a different SID.

A bit disappointed that I could not find a way to change the SID of partition D without deleting the partition altogether.

If anyone knows how to do it, please be so kind to let me know :)

Regards,
    P.

• Edited by pmdci Monday, August 18, 2014 7:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LSModerator Monday, August 18, 2014 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by pmdci Monday, August 18, 2014 12:53 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update and sharing.

Could you please have a share with the tool you used to migrate the data?

For the SID mentioned, from the MSDN article, it says The <site or SID> segment represents either a content store or a user security identifier if the search root is meant to be specific to the user. So I assume this special SID is assiociated with the user settings, which might be migrated along with the migrate process.

And it seems the reformatting of the D: drive here fixed the conflicts of the user specific settings.

Besides, if some more information regarding the SID mentioned, I will update here.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 18, 2014 12:17 PM
  • The tool used to migrate the data was the Samsung SSD Data Migration Software which can be found here.

The SID does not seem to be associated with the user. I logged-in with different users and the SID of each partition is the same for every user.

I forgot to mention where in the Registry you can find these keys. You can find them here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex

It is worth mentioning that the SIDs referenced by the Indexing are not the same as the SIDs we obtain when we run mountvol.exe on the command prompt.

Also, I got an new SID not by formatting the partition, but by deleting it and creating it again.

Regards,
    P.

Monday, August 18, 2014 12:53 PM