none
tdx.sys BSOD

General discussion

• For anyone who is having a BSOD with a tdx.sys file error, uninstall Norton.
    All the research I have found had to do with various antivirus issues.
    Norton Anti-Virus kept turning itself off and having to manually turn it back on.
    Regardless, the tdx.sys BSOD kept happening.
    Once I removed Norton, the BSOD stopped. I have been 4 hours without one and everything seems to be stable.
    I contacted Norton, and they simply tell me that it is not a supported O/S. So much for their help...
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:45 PM

All replies

• I tried the Norton beta for Windows 7 and had a BSOD with a tdx.sys error as well. Also tried Kaspersky and got a BSOD and a kl1.sys error. Is there an anti-virus that works with Windows 7? I hate running the OS without an antivirus.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I've tried Norton, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, Kaspersky's technology preview for Windows 7, AVG plus a few others and every single one eventually resulted in BSOD.  The common factor, is the BSOD seems to occur when I have open Network shares on (to my Netgear ReadyNAS  NV+) ... general web browsing, even online gaming etc runs fine.

The BSOD crash page lists both kl1.sys (for Kaspersky) and tdx.sys for Norton's and others.    Same BSOD with both the x86 and x64 installs of the official Beta.

There's nothing specific I can do to reproduce the crash - have an open Network share with any of those security products installed and it will crash with BSOD (eventually), uninstall the security software and no crashes.

Obviously there's a serious problem here, would love to hear from anyone who's manage to work around this problem, or can offer a solution.  Hopefully the Microsoft folk are aware of this if it's a Windows 7 issue.

Other than that, does anyone know if there somewhere specific Microsoft want's to hear details about "bugs" in Windows 7 Beta?

--
    The Thingy
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Add avast to that list maybe.  On a laptop I have, it would crash every 10 minutes, but on a pc it is stable.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:02 PM
  • The Thingy said:

The common factor, is the BSOD seems to occur when I have open Network shares on (to my Netgear ReadyNAS  NV+) ... general web browsing, even online gaming etc runs fine.

The BSOD crash page lists both kl1.sys (for Kaspersky) and tdx.sys for Norton's and others.    Same BSOD with both the x86 and x64 installs of the official Beta.

I 'm having the same problem sometimes.. When I installed a program from a network location something it resulting into a BSOD. This happed even when I do not a anti-virus programm installed

Castaing said:

I tried the Norton beta for Windows 7 and had a BSOD with a tdx.sys error as well. Also tried Kaspersky and got a BSOD and a kl1.sys error. Is there an anti-virus that works with Windows 7? I hate running the OS without an antivirus.

I'm running ESET NOD 3.0 64 and 32 bit (different machine offcourse). Without any problem so far..

Hope this helps a bit..

Monday, January 12, 2009 10:41 PM
  • I have an HP Media Vault mv2100 series on my network. I kept having the BSOD on both computers that I had installed Windows 7 until I decided to turn the Media Vault off. Since doing that, I haven't had a BSOD with the computers on for several hours. I have no idea why this may be; but I'm having no problem with the rest of network or accessing drives on other machines or accessing the Web.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:12 AM
  • I hope this problem will soon be fixed. When I connect to my network share (QNAP Nas) for music or something else, it is a matter of time when the bsod will join me.

tdx.sys bsod without Norton installed.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:46 PM
  • I am also getting BSODs with TDX.SYS.  I'm using Windows 7 32bit, with Avast Antivirus Home.  The BSODs seems to be somewhat related to accessing my Linkstation Live NAS.  I'll try to disable the NAS to see if that makes a difference.  I've tryed "disabling" Avast however I still get the BSOD.  I'll try to uninstall Avast with my networking off to see if it works.  Hopefully this BSOD issue will be resolved.

It's good to know others are having the same problem, hopefully it will be solved soon.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I tried ESET NOD32. It looks like a fine program; but, when I mapped the drives on the HP Media Vault to the computer, the computer crashed in a matter of minutes while I wasn't using it. There is definitely a compatibility problem between the Media Vault and Windows 7 that wasn't there with Vista. When the Media Vault is not running, the computer does not crash even after being up for over 12 hours. From what I've seen, the tdx.sys error may be the result of other components on the network such as servers.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:42 PM
  • I've been trying out other products - and the only one I've found (so far) that doesn't cause a BSOD with Windows 7 and network shares is ESET Smart Security 4.0 Beta 1 ... so somehow what they are doing is different enough to Kaspersky/Norton and all the others. Whatever the case I'm fairly well convinced there's a serious incompatibility between what Kaspersky (and other vendors are doing) with anti-virus and firewall stuff and windows 7 relating to network shares - possibly specific to certain hardware configurations (with the problems not occurring for me with vista). Not saying it's the 3rd party vendors fault, it might well be a MS issue.

I hope someone is listening smile.gif Would love to hear something from Kaspersky/Nortons or indeed MS.   I wouldn't like to think that these vendors getting themselves on the Windows 7 list of recommended security products was just a marketing exercise.  Kaspersky for example - put out their Windows 7 technology preview - which when installed seems to contribute to BSOD just as their "legacy" software does.

--
    The Thingy
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I uninstalled Avast.  I'm now using Windows 32bit beta 7000 with my Linkstation Live NAS.  I have all three of my partitions mapped as drive letters.  I was even able to run Windows Media Player to update my MP3 collection (>100gb) without any TDX.SYS BSOD errors.  Bottom line -- the latest Avast (as of 1/13/2009) is incompatible with Windows 7

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:45 AM
  • I'm getting a BSOD when Norton Internet Security 9 does a system scan. It shows 0x0000008e and the offending file is SYMEVENT.SYS
    Other than that Norton runs okay.

Just adding to the list...

Courtney Harrington
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Another NOD32 user here that was getting BSOD - After seeing this forum, I uninstalled it, and presto! no BSOD.  I do use an NAS and have mapped drives, so I don't know if that is where the vulnerability lies, however I was almost to the point of abandoning the beta for now as I couldn't figure out the cause.  Now, things seem stable. 

NOD32 is an excellent product, and I'm sure they will address and adjust for potential problems.  For now, I need to figure out which other AV program to try out... sounds like they all may have potential BSOD issues at the moment.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Am having some success with "ESET Smart Security 4.0 Beta 1" link follows.  I don't know how it compares to their NOD32 product, but I have had it installed for a few days now with no sign of BSOD.

http://beta.eset.com/

--
    The Thingy

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:30 PM
  • The same results
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Add me to the list.  I have a hardware install of Win7 x64 and soon after the install I began getting BSOD's for tdx.sys.  I did some searching an saw an indication of network driver being at fault.  Update my mobo (Gigabyte AM2 with nForce 430) chipset drivers from the nvidia site - this included the nic driver.  All was good for a day.

Then I installed a printer using the Win7 bundled x64 driver for the Canon ip4300 I have - but which is attached to my d-link NAS.  The same BSOD's began occuring every 6 - 8 minutes.  I can't post fast enough within Win7 so am using a non-beta OS to post this.

Each BSOD states:  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  which additional searching indicates that the driver (or tdx.sys) is trying to address memory in a space higher than it is allowed.

For the record I am using Avast but will try AVG.  Microsoft has a link for 3 vendors which has product to work with Win7.  AVG is one of them but the link to AVG appears broken.

I searched the Avast site but the forum post I read indicated that Avast felt it was an issue not related to them.  I had Avast working well in Vista x86 and used it before in XP x64 without problems.  It's early days yet for this issue so who knows how it will pan out.

Is it a networking issue ?  An AV issue ?

I am hoping that Microsoft is willing to work with all the vendors to provide solutions for the users that allows them to use products of choice.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:58 AM
  • I already said this in another thread, but I think it's not too bad to push this one a bit. I'm having pretty much the same issues with anti-virus software and get the same BSOD telling me about tdx.sys and IRQL...

I hope that they will adress that issue soon because it is a quite critcal one and isn't even restricted to one specific program. It probably takes some time, though, because it's just a beta. Till then I will try my luck without a network share.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:28 PM
  • I'm fully able to access all of my NAS drive partitions without any BSODs.  The TDX.SYS/BSOD issue disappeared when I uninstalled (no disabling) Avast antivirus.   Since then I've been running AVG Antivirus for the last 3-4 days without an issue.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit / 7000 with a Linkstation Live 500gb NAS with 3 mapped partitions.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Had same problem with AVAST antivirus. Problem went away with uninstall. Looking for new antivirus.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:21 AM
  • thumper001 said:

Add me to the list.  I have a hardware install of Win7 x64 and soon after the install I began getting BSOD's for tdx.sys.  I did some searching an saw an indication of network driver being at fault.  Update my mobo (Gigabyte AM2 with nForce 430) chipset drivers from the nvidia site - this included the nic driver.  All was good for a day.

Then I installed a printer using the Win7 bundled x64 driver for the Canon ip4300 I have - but which is attached to my d-link NAS.  The same BSOD's began occuring every 6 - 8 minutes.  I can't post fast enough within Win7 so am using a non-beta OS to post this.

Each BSOD states:  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  which additional searching indicates that the driver (or tdx.sys) is trying to address memory in a space higher than it is allowed.

For the record I am using Avast but will try AVG.  Microsoft has a link for 3 vendors which has product to work with Win7.  AVG is one of them but the link to AVG appears broken.

I searched the Avast site but the forum post I read indicated that Avast felt it was an issue not related to them.  I had Avast working well in Vista x86 and used it before in XP x64 without problems.  It's early days yet for this issue so who knows how it will pan out.

Is it a networking issue ?  An AV issue ?

I am hoping that Microsoft is willing to work with all the vendors to provide solutions for the users that allows them to use products of choice.

Same problem here, running Symantec AV 10.2 Corporate.  Uninstalling and rebooting resolved the issue.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Norton 360, AVG, Avast, all with the same Problem. Now running NOD32 4 Beta, and not yet experienced a BSOD.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Based on Googling the issue, the cause is "legacy" network drivers. Considering I'm using Avast on my x64 home system for several weeks now, blaming the AV alone won't do. Use the latest Vista or 7 driver for your network adapter, and if that doesn't work, roll back to the default 7 driver. Another thing to watch out for is extras, like Nvidia MediaShield, or alternate firewall programs that come with Norton or a few other AV clients. I also notice on the 32-bit PC that I ran into this issue on, the NVIDIA network driver maps to a very high address range: anyone with 4GB installed (but only sees maybe 3GB) have similar problems or no?

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Hi Guys,

It's strange that you bring this up.  I have installed Windows 7 Beta on my iMac using bootcamp and my Dell Inspiron 9300; both produced the same tdx.sys BSOD with Avast Anti-virus installed.  I believe this has something to do with all anti-virus accessing some resource in the OS and Microsoft's generic manufacturuer network driver's packaged with their installation CD.  Perhaps it may all be linked to their reformed security and network center feature?  Apparently this was an issue in the Windows Vista/Longhorn days.  What do you guys think?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:51 AM
  • AverageITJoe said:

Hi Guys,

It's strange that you bring this up.  I have installed Windows 7 Beta on my iMac using bootcamp and my Dell Inspiron 9300; both produced the same tdx.sys BSOD with Avast Anti-virus installed.  I believe this has something to do with all anti-virus accessing some resource in the OS and Microsoft's generic manufacturuer network driver's packaged with their installation CD.  Perhaps it may all be linked to their reformed security and network center feature?  Apparently this was an issue in the Windows Vista/Longhorn days.  What do you guys think?

I'd say such might be the case, regardless MS needs to definitely weight in on this and get a proper fix out asap. This is more or less a show stopper issue with the whole BSOD when you map a network drive issue. For me it does it whenever I map a samba share over LAN off my Fedora tower. The obvious note here on WinXP MCE (same laptop) I never had such an issue which would definitely indicate this being directly related to something new Win7 has added.

Also using the newest network driver available does not help (Broadcom 440x driver, integrated FE NIC). No AV installed took it out several reboots ago.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:16 AM
  • The Thingy said:

I've tried Norton, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, Kaspersky's technology preview for Windows 7, AVG plus a few others and every single one eventually resulted in BSOD.  The common factor, is the BSOD seems to occur when I have open Network shares on (to my Netgear ReadyNAS  NV+) ... general web browsing, even online gaming etc runs fine.

There's nothing specific I can do to reproduce the crash - have an open Network share with any of those security products installed and it will crash with BSOD (eventually), uninstall the security software and no crashes.

Obviously there's a serious problem here, would love to hear from anyone who's manage to work around this problem, or can offer a solution.  Hopefully the Microsoft folk are aware of this if it's a Windows 7 issue.

Other than that, does anyone know if there somewhere specific Microsoft want's to hear details about "bugs" in Windows 7 Beta?

--
    The Thingy

I'm having the exact same BSOD problem. As soon as i connect to my network drive, its a matter of minutes before it crashes. I have read a lot about antivirus being th cause, and have now uninstalled AVG Free. I will report back, if i still get BSOD or not. So far its playing music from my network drive, with no problem.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I was also experiencing this TDX.sys BSOD and tried all the antivirus software that was recommend by Microsoft.  To no avail, I installed Antivir and have not seen the BSOD since.  I also had a identical laptop (Dell 1525), pulled my hard drive out of the first one that I was getting the BSOD and put it in the second one.  i have not seen anymore errors.  So with that being said, it could also be a memory problem as well.

Dell 1525
    2GB Ram
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Dell 1395 Wireless G Mini Card
    Windows 7 x64 
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:37 PM
  • OK, I do not think this has anything to do with virus software other than its connection to a "storage drive" - when it tries to scan a mapped drive you may have. Its the connection itself to a storage drive causing this - in my experience.

I have narrowed this down to:

1. When I connect to my NAS I can literally wait for the BSOD
    2. When I do NOT connect I lose sleep waiting

Now, this has something to do with unsupported NIC drivers in WIN 7 Beta, possibly the not the "driver" itself but its certification. I have tried EVERYTHING from using the original drivers for my Fujitsu N6210 (almost 4 years old now) to going to each and every hardware manufacturer and downloading the most up-to-date drivers for both XP and Vista and trying all in series starting with XP drivers 1st then testing.

All I have accomplished is the length of time it takes before it blue screens after connecting to my NAS.

At this point I think its hopeless for those of us with older systems that MAY be maxed out in RAM to manage the graphical overhead and our heart felt desire to go "new age OS"... we will just have to wait for RC1 from MS. Usually RC's contain fixes for all those BSOD's sent to MS from suckers like us  :-)

BAILEYpc.com
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:21 PM
  • BAILEYpc said:

OK, I do not think this has anything to do with virus software other than its connection to a "storage drive" - when it tries to scan a mapped drive you may have. Its the connection itself to a storage drive causing this - in my experience.

BAILEYpc.com

Well, ever since i changed from AVG to ESET Smart Security 4 Beta, everything has been fine. No BSOD.

When i had AVG installed, i'd get BSOD within minutes of connecting to my network drive.

And. btw. I never scanned my network drive with AVG.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:26 PM
  • That is a good point... I am running AVG and when this 1st started that was the 1st thing I did - I removed "completely" AVG 8.0 but it still happened.
    BAILEYpc.com
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I'm running AVG now and it has just started. I was using uTorrent to fetch some stuff today and I got two BSOD within a couple of minutes. I unmapped my SAMBA share and it hasn't happened since.

The AVG settings are completely default so it is quite possible it was scanning the SAMBA share when it was mapped.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 6:49 PM
  • COME ON microsoft developers - is there anyone reading this? Hello?? There's something clearly wrong with the TDX.sys file - can you guys push an update?

It can't be legacy drivers?! This is a new MSI board and I'm running MS Certified Signed Drivers.  Same as everyone here : AVG, Norton = all bluescreen.  It didn't happen for the first 2-3 weeks, so did you guys push an update?

Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Yes apparently Microsoft is aware of the problem. Take a look here.  There are other discussions also on the forums with the same theme.  The BSOD with tdx.sys seems to be common when accessing Samba shares and some AV progrms.  Linux / Samba is common on NAS devices as the operating system for these devices.  Here is another link that may help those that fit this situation.

In my case I had installed Avast Home prior to accessing my Samba share on a Linux / Sidux machine.  After about 5 minutes Win7 would crash.  I would not get the BSOD as others have seen, but Win7 would become unresponsive.  The fix for me was following the suggestion of Fred 666 in the second link above.  Fred suggested I change the netbios name (computer name) in the smb.conf file to match the name I use for my workgroup.  In other words the name of the computer and the workgroup are the same. 

Since then I have not had any problems accessing my Samba share and running Avast at the same time.

Good luck
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Yes we are aware of this.

Just so you understand, that file is for legacy drivers - anti-virus and firewall drivers provided by third parties for hooking and checking traffic over networks. That's why the driver's name is named 'NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver'.

The issue here is within an interoperability problem of TDX.SYS, SMB, and anti-virus addons. As soon as I have new info I will be happy to let everyone know. 

Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Thanks - I'm glad you guys are working on this - it's a little scary to be running without antivirus and I can certainly understand stuff like this happens with beta versions. 

If it helps, this machine had networked drives mapped from a Mandriva Linux box which is running SAMBA.  I guess the working theory is that any mapped SMB shares (even if they aren't being accessed) + antivirus causes a problem with tdx.sys
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Yes, Samba has to be in play as well (even if not accessing files, simply having an active connection to a share). It's an interop issue between all three - Windows, AV, and Samba.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Ok so here is what I have done to remedy this issue for my new Sony VAIO AW-230J Laptop...

1. I installed the Vista drivers from Sony for my NIC cards both LAN and Wireless and I did let Windows 7 manage all other drivers

AND (most importantly!)

2. In AVG I added my network location (IE: \\server\location) exceptions under - 'Exceptions > Resident Shield-Directory Excludes'

#2 solved the issue for me! Not sure if #1 did anything.
    Based on my previous WIN7 install investigations I had a plan for testing so yes I did connect to my network drive and left it connected all night last night WITHOUT AVG and received NO BSOD. It only took a minute once I installed AVG and connected to the NAS drive to Blue Screen so I knew what the cause was and employed the investigated suggestions from all my Google Searches.

NOTE:
    I ONLY excluded this location because I am synchronizing backups from my local second drive which is already being virus scanned or else I would have a REAL issue here. Redundancy is best!
    BAILEYpc.com
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:02 PM
  • I got also the dang blue screen once in a while due to that TDX.SYS file, removed Avast! Antivirus 4.8 and the crash is gone for the moment, so for some reason that file has to do something with antiviruses and/or security applications indeed. Earlier today I installed Kaspersky 8.0 and got the same blue screen after a while. That TDX.SYS is at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and by looking at its info it says it's a "TDI Translation Driver", whatever that is. - I also get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL every time on the blue screen as Dubhain. Sooner or later someone has to come to fix this issue, because seems like alot of people are being affected by it.

At another forum I read on the web tonight a guy said after he replaced his computer's network driver on his laptop the issue stopped, another guy said the same, so somehow whatever that "TDI Translation Driver" might have something to do with networking, I have no idea. Somewhere else an Alwill rep (people that make Avast! Antivirus) said that by looking at the memory dumps people are sending them, seems that the culprit is in that TDX.SYS file itself and nothing else.

I hope this info of all of us help someone out there to fix this thing.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:28 AM
  • You may be right - I too did some searching and found more and more ppl updating their NIC drivers and the issue going away. In my last post I stated I too updated my NIC drivers before adding the exception to AVG and not sure if the drivers or the exception was the fix; well I figured it out.

For me it was BOTH.

I rolled my driver back and left the exception in AVG - BSOD!
    I then reinstalled the new driver and removed the exception - BSOD!

When I did both I am running fine and currently running a scheduled backup to my NAS as I type. Possibly each virus program treats the TDI different? don't know but I do know this is a Windows 7 BUG I am sure will be fixed in RC1.

Good luck everyone!

PS
    Nice image Foxito.
    BAILEYpc.com
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:29 PM
  • BAILEYpc said:

You may be right - I too did some searching and found more and more ppl updating their NIC drivers and the issue going away. In my last post I stated I too updated my NIC drivers before adding the exception to AVG and not sure if the drivers or the exception was the fix; well I figured it out.

For me it was BOTH.

I rolled my driver back and left the exception in AVG - BSOD!
    I then reinstalled the new driver and removed the exception - BSOD!

When I did both I am running fine and currently running a scheduled backup to my NAS as I type. Possibly each virus program treats the TDI different? don't know but I do know this is a Windows 7 BUG I am sure will be fixed in RC1.

Good luck everyone!

PS
    Nice image Foxito.

BAILEYpc.com

Since my message last night, I uninstalled the second or third antivirus I tried (including those recommended by MS), I was having the same blue screen again. Today I come to the PC without any antivirus at all. - Same thing, the blue screen caused by TDX.SYS still there, every 10 mins so, erratically by doing almost anything I was still having the same blue screen.  This time seemed to be while I was reading my e-mail and clicked on a link, Internet Explorer 8.0 Beta pop-up, there I am reading something.....out of the blue....puafh! there you go blue screen again, bye bye, time to reboot.

So obviously at least in my case the cause of that BSOD is not any antivirus, but something else. Then I remembered someone said that he started to suspect of Internet Explorer 8.0 Beta and instead installed Firefox and since then he didn't have any more issue with the TDX.SYS blue screen. - This time I went to the default applications of Windows 7 and set it so it will not use Internet Explorer, then installed Firefox 3.05.....and here I am with it so far so good nothing has crashed nor gone blue screen bye bye (yet...hehe).

What in the world is a "TDI Translation driver" ? Whatever that is, that's what that TDX.SYS is and for someone that's a programmer (I'm not) shouldn't be too hard to determine what's going on with that file.

Yeah you're right, good luck everyone, because we are gonna need it ! - I feel almost about to give up and go back to my beloved Windows XP or even Windows Vista (which I don't like too much really), but rather I'll stay tuned to see if someone finds the solution to the darned TDX.SYS issue.

Another issue I had for a day or two was that all out of the blue one morning I turned the PC on, and my Desktop was all gone. Instead I had to every time manually type "explorer.exe" on Task Manager to get the Desktop back, then I decided to restore back to the moment I installed first time (was 3-4 days ago, no biggie) and there it was the Desktop back again. I have no idea what caused the Desktop to not load everytime Windows 7 booted, but I've had this problem before even on Windows Vista.

Regards, lets hope they fix the TDX.SYS dilemma on next version of Windows 7, for the time being using Firefox I've haven't had any crash as yet, but definetely seems like the problem is not related to antivirus applications, because as I said above I have none installed now and was still getting the same BSOD crash.

PS: Thank you, that's the American Bald Eagle saying "Jihad this".

Monday, February 9, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Unns said:

I'm fully able to access all of my NAS drive partitions without any BSODs.  The TDX.SYS/BSOD issue disappeared when I uninstalled (no disabling) Avast antivirus.   Since then I've been running AVG Antivirus for the last 3-4 days without an issue.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit / 7000 with a Linkstation Live 500gb NAS with 3 mapped partitions.

Same thing for me using Norton or  Kaspersky betas. BSOD every 2-3 minutes. 
    Using Qnap and winserver shares with no problem util Antivus is installed.
    After I remove antivirus it's rock stable again.

/Frode

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:54 PM
  • You can add me to the list of people having this problem...I have AVG installed i get the same error when trying to access network shares on my linux server...If i uninstall AVG everything is fine but any antivirus software so far causes BSOD involving tdx.sys i really hope this gets resolved soon
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi there,

Well seems that I found my solution to my TDX.SYS blue screen crashes.
    The other day after being tired of rebooting over and over, I decided instead try an earlier version Build 6801 that I had around here since a few months ago, reformatted everything from scratch, installed Build 6801...spend the whole day without a single crash. So whatever the problem is, seems like to me the TDX.SYS on Build 7000 was the culprit of at least my crashes, don't know if this would help others. After that, next day I came across to get Build 7022 (which I'm using now), and no problem, no crash, not a single hassle anymore. I guess I could have maybe just taken the file TDX.SYS from Build 6801 and put it on the installed Build 7000, but oh well, you never know until you try..too late now. One thing for sure is that on Build 6801 I didn't have a single crash all day, while on Build 7000 darn file TDX.SYS was crashing my entire Windows 7 so often as to desperate anyone and pull your hair until you scream...hahaha.

It took me a while to figure how to come back here, I'll bookmark this page..

I hope info this helps someone out there.

Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:43 AM
  • I'm back, seems like three days later, to confirm that I have definetely found out that at least in my case, the BSOD crash on TXD.SYS is definetely due to an antivirus issue. - I reinstalled from scratch two nights ago, did not install any antivirus, spend the whole day and next day without a single blue screen crash, then I installed Kaspersky Antivirus 8.0, actually the one right from the link of the recommended antiviruses from within Windows 7...as soon as I installed it, bang!...ten minutes later I started to have crashes again. This time seemed to reported that KL1.SYS was the culprit. But it is not Kaspersky only, I actually had this BSOD crashes with Avast!, Kaspersky, AVG, Norton, you name it, all of them gave me blue screen crashes before.

After last crash last night, first thing I did was a complete restore back to the first moment I installed Windows 7 last time, and started from there, every time installing a piece of software at a time, and rebooting everytime I installed something, tryinig to troubleshoot what exactly caused my blue screen crashes. A friend of mine said he is not having any problem using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, which I had tried before too and had blue screen crashes anyway. This time I went to download it directly from the Kaspersky Labs website, installed it, and since then it has been like 10 hours or more been using the PC without any single crash.

I do too have a NAS box like the some guys here, haven't tried yet accesing the NAS box after installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, cross my fingers and hope I don't start seen blue screen crashes again, because I am so fed of them that I dream in BLUE by now......hahahahahaha! :>)

The whole point, yes, it seems like definetely the blue screen crashes have alot to do with antivirus software, as well as obviously network access as others already reported having BSOD screens while accesing their NAS boxes. - I'll try mine in a bit and if I see the darn blue screen again, I'll come to report it.

Happy Valentine's Day, or what's left of it.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:05 AM
  • If you get BSOD with reference to K]1.sys - it is Kaspersky.  If it is tdx.sys - it is most likely your NAS. 

I have had this with my DLink 323 when it is connected to the network, but not when it is off.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I had the BSOD problem with most AV software when accessing my Maxtor Shared Drive.  Once I installed Avira AntiVir Personal, I haven't gotton a BSOD going on 2 weeks now.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Ned or someone from microsoft:

What is the rough estimate on ETA on the fix with the TDX.sys issue

1. will it be fixed and a patch provided for Build 7000 users?
    2. or will we have to reinstall the OS with the RC whenver that is released?
    3. Approximate ETA: months or weeks? or final release only?

Thanks.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I'm happy to report NOD32 4 beta is working for me also. I tried symantec endpoint protection v11, avast and AVG with no success. I installed NOD32 4.0.226.0 and have not seen a BSOD since. In my case, the BSOD would come up when AV was installed and I had a mapped drive to my QNAP NAS. Disconnecting the network drive or uninstall the AV would make the BSOD go away. I've been running well over 12 hours now with NOD32 and the drive mapped without issue. Typically, i'd get the BSOD within 10 minutes. Running Windows 7 build 7022 btw.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Same issue for me ...
    Windows 7 (7022) with Avast ... and when I access to my NAS : QNAP 109 Pro ... Bluescreen

I tried to modify the smb.conf ... same blue screen
    excluded the NAS for AVast ... Same blue screen

I've the same issue with cable or with wireless

any clue about an hotfix from Microsoft?
    did someone identify a samba version issue?

Help ...
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Since went with Avast Av, I have not had any Blue Screens (D-Link DNS 323 on network) - close to a week so far.  it is odd that different AV programs and NAS devices work Ok on some installations and not others.

If only MS would get TDX.sys fixed and released as an update to the current Beta build.....
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:34 PM
  • It's not a problem with TDX.SYS, he's the victim. We're working on getting the fix out, stay tuned.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Ned, does that mean yet another shim that solves a problem with faulty 3rd party filter drivers? I hope this is a temporary fix and that they get their code fixed before RTM.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:40 AM
  • I spoke too soon on the no BSOD's.  After a reboot (it was left on for days), the BSOD started up soon after each reboot.  I turned the DLink 323 off, and they stopped.  I turned the 323 back on, and no BSOD again. 

It may be that it has a problem with it being on when you boot up, but not if you turn it on latter.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:16 PM
  • I read this on the AVAST forum :  "The bug is fixed in W7 builds 7032 and up"

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41688.new;topicseen#new

Somebody of Microsoft can confirm this??

Monday, February 23, 2009 5:23 PM
  • That would be really great if they do get it fixed but when are we gonna be able to download the new build of it?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 11:43 PM
  • After some testing, I've found my Lenovo T61p laptop with an intel NIC only works with Avira Antivir. On my desktop with a realtek NIC, the only program that works is NOD32 4 beta. Any other variation on both systems results in a BSOD referencing TDX.SYS. The issue only occurs when I have a mapped drive to my QNAP 209 Pro II NAS.

Microsft did release an application compatibility update today but I've yet to test it. The details of the update are unavailable on the MS site right now for some reason.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8EED142A-D21E-4ED3-9B0B-D597CA950A6E&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:40 PM
  • It seems like it isn't the update we're waiting for :( I also installed the other 4 updates from Windows Update.
    I'm running Windows7, AVG Free with Lacie Network Space (NAS).
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Fixed released, come and get it folks:

Error message when you use applications that are based on legacy Transport Driver Interface (TDI) filter drivers on a computer that is running Windows 7 Beta or Windows Server 2008 R2: "STOP 0x000000D1 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967891
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:36 AM
  • WOW! I think the fix works well! Normally I get the BSOD after 10 minutes I clicked my NAS but, with the fix installed, I'm working now 30 minutes with no BSOD so far. Later today I'll do a longer test...

Thanks Ned for your coorporation and the direct link.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:59 AM
  • How long does it usually take until MS sends such a patch? - I am waiting for more than six hours now and didn't receive anything. Spams have been checked....
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:14 PM
  • I've been running all day now, 8 hours straight with no BSOD's after installing this fix. I'm using NOD32 3.0. This is great!

I got the mail from MS right after I filled in my mail address.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Puffke said:

How long does it usually take until MS sends such a patch? - I am waiting for more than six hours now and didn't receive anything. Spams have been checked....

Within minutes typically. I had mine sent to my gmail account and had it in less than a minute.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Avast works great here: System is overclocked Quad @ 3.2/*Gb Memory running 64 bit.  Been very stable for over one month.  Only App I've found that yields BSOD is 3D FutureMark which is not surprising.  I'm running Adobe products and Office Enterprise OK.

A few of the MSC functions are operational.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Ned,

Strong work to you and the microsoft team.  Installing patch now and will proceed to install AVG.  I see MS pushed out several updates too - COOL!

One other issue I discovered: IE8 and Spybot's Browser protection seem to have some type of issue.  IE8 became unbearably slow after applying Spybot's browswer protection.  It resolved as soon as I uninstalled it.

Windows 7 ROCKS!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:01 AM
  • I applied the patch and my T61p works great! I've tested Avast and Symantec v11 and they both work fine now with a mapped drive to my QNAP NAS. No more BSOD's :D Thanks!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Yihaa! - It probably was a problem of gmx-Email-Service. My next request was sent to my work address and I received it within seconds.

Installed it at home, started to run an Antivirus Scan of my mapped NAS-Drive immediately, synchronized local with network drives, updated the WMP-Media-Library over night.

And all worked fine. No BSOD or other - even minor - problems! - Would buy Windows7 already today instead of Vista...!

Regards
    P
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Unns said:

I am also getting BSODs with TDX.SYS.  I'm using Windows 7 32bit, with Avast Antivirus Home.  The BSODs seems to be somewhat related to accessing my Linkstation Live NAS.  I'll try to disable the NAS to see if that makes a difference.  I've tryed "disabling" Avast however I still get the BSOD.  I'll try to uninstall Avast with my networking off to see if it works.  Hopefully this BSOD issue will be resolved.

It's good to know others are having the same problem, hopefully it will be solved soon.

I have same setup - except with a DLink 323 NAS. 

I have found that if the NAS is on when I boot up W7 - I get BSOD is a few minutes.

BUT - if I turn on the NAS AFTER I have booted up W7 - no problems !

PS - just did the hotfix.  Booted up with NAS on - no BSOD so far (20 minutes...).
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:35 PM
  • the hotfix don't works on 7022 ... maybe it's normal ...

so we need change between this or ie8 RC1

Friday, February 27, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Got a problem running the fix I keep on getting the same error message: "Data of this type is not supported" Even when following the instruction for the manual install under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307 . Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Kaspersky was fine up until build 7077 and now 7100. Both result in BSOD. Going to try NOD32
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Get Avast! it works great, I have windows 7 ultimate rc 64-bit, everything works perfect. They even offer a free edition that has all of the key features. http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Maybe You can try Avg Free 9.0 Or Avg Internet Security Suite 9.0 because it works for Windows 7.

Trend Micro Security Pro Also works for Windows 7.

I hope my suggestion will work for ya!

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:30 AM
  • The Thingy said:

I've tried Norton, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, Kaspersky's technology preview for Windows 7, AVG plus a few others and every single one eventually resulted in BSOD.  The common factor, is the BSOD seems to occur when I have open Network shares on (to my Netgear ReadyNAS  NV+) ... general web browsing, even online gaming etc runs fine.

--
    The Thingy

hi to all...this is my first ever post in a forum so im pretty new to all this so please be patient.....

my old commie died on me so i bought "the one from ALDI". its the medion 8855 and im pretty pleased with it up to now, anyway it came with windows 7 32 bit preinstalled, and along with all the other stuff it had BULLGUARD internet security v8.5 installed (i have since upgraded to v9.0), which is on a 90 day trial, and is fully functional. I was a nod 32 user on my old setup (brill) but have decided to give this bullguard suite a try, and ive gotta say its been ok and i havent had 1 bsod in 2 months (touching plenty of wood) I have disabled windows firewall and also disabled windows defender ...If anyone isnt sorted yet its worth a try, and you can find the free trial anywhere. it may be worth giving it a go until Microsoft sort out their many problems. the only slight problem im having at the mo is with utorrent, but thats another story... cheers

Saturday, June 5, 2010 1:12 PM