none
SharePoint Retention Policy Recurrence RRS feed

• Question

• We are attempting to set up a Retention Policy for documents in SharePoint 2010.  However I don't think that it is meant to be used the way we are wanting.

What we would like to do is: when a document has not been modified for a year, start a workflow to send an email to have that document reviewed, re-published and approved.  This part seems to be straight forward.  The problem is when it comes time to for this to happen again.  The Recurrence policy on the rentention policy setup form only has the option to start in a certain number of days, months, or years after the first event occured.  We want it always to be 1 year after the last modified date.

We are only able to work with SharePoint Designer and any modifications that can be made via our sharepoint site.  We do not work with custom coding.  If it is not possible to do this without custom code, please say so.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:20 PM

Answers

• The description on the retention policy dialog sounds to me like it does just what you want  - repeat the action of the event - I would read this as using the same criteria i.e monitoring the modfied date and waiting the appropriate retention period before starting the workflow.  I am interested to know if you have tested this with a smaller retention period of say 1 day and seen whether it does what you want or simply repeats the workflow initiation 1 day after the original workflow is started.

If the recurrence simply repeats the workflow initiation then set it to 1 day and in the workflow add a condition  to compare current date to the modified date and either do nothing or carry out the actions you want

David Severn

• Marked as answer by mnielson0507 Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:29 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• The description on the retention policy dialog sounds to me like it does just what you want  - repeat the action of the event - I would read this as using the same criteria i.e monitoring the modfied date and waiting the appropriate retention period before starting the workflow.  I am interested to know if you have tested this with a smaller retention period of say 1 day and seen whether it does what you want or simply repeats the workflow initiation 1 day after the original workflow is started.

If the recurrence simply repeats the workflow initiation then set it to 1 day and in the workflow add a condition  to compare current date to the modified date and either do nothing or carry out the actions you want

David Severn

• Marked as answer by mnielson0507 Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:29 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I will try the condition to compare current date to modified date.  The definition of Recurrence in SharePoint states that the retention stage  event is only triggered once, then recurrence policy will trigger the action(start workflow) only, not run the entire retention stage again.  Thanks again for the solution to my problem.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:43 PM