none
Decommission Exchange 2013 Server From An O365 Hybrid RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Exchange 2013 Server which is configured in a Hybrid with O365 for the purposes of a migration.  All the mailboxes have been moved and I am looking to decommission the onsite server.  I still want to continue to use Azure AD Sync via my domain controller.  I know that Microsoft recommend that you keep the hybrid from a management point of view and I know all the arguments for, but we have many customers using Azure AD Sync without a hybrid and we do not want to have this one site be an anomaly.

I am going to describe what I have done and plan to do, let me know if you think I will hit any issues:

Completed

I have confirmed that all the mailboxes have been migrated to the cloud.

There are no public folders.

I have changed the MX records to point to O365 directly.

I have changed the autodiscover record to point to autodiscover.outlook.com

I have run the following commands to clear the autodiscover info from my Exchange 2013 server:

Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity "zcm-sbs" -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri $NULL

Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity "zcm-sbs" -AutoDiscoverServiceExternalUri $NULL

As far as the clients are concerned I believe that everything is now done in the cloud.

My Plan

I intend to reconfigure the Azure AD Connect and untick the Exchange Hybrid optional feature and let it sync.

I will then delete the mail stores etc and uninstall exchange 2013 from my in house server.

I will delete the migration endpoint from O365.

I will then delete the connectors from O365 that were being used to route mail internally.

Question

Does anybody foresee any issues I might hit?

Is there anything else you think I should tidy up?

This is the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

Generally, the process you list is ok, here are some additional points you need pay attention to:

When directory synchronization is enabled for a tenant and a user is synchronized from on-premises, most of the attributes cannot be managed from Exchange Online and must be managed from on-premises.

In most cases, we recommend that you leave at least one Exchange on-premises Server for mailbox management unless you are getting rid of the on-premises messaging and identity management dependencies all together.

Here are some helpful articles for your reference:

How and when to decommission your on-premises Exchange servers in a hybrid deployment

Decommissioning your Exchange 2010 servers in a Hybrid Deployment

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Hi Tony,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:09 AM
  • Hello Kelvin,

Not well.  I don't think my order was correct.  My first step was "reconfigure the Azure AD Connect and untick the Exchange Hybrid optional feature and let it sync".  This essentially broke my internal mail server.  I could no longer access the ECP, I assume because it was trying to connect the Office 365 TAB.  I also could no longer access exchange powershell.

I tried uninstalling the Hybrid Configuration Wizard but this did not resolve my issue.  I have opted to shut down the server and use ADSI-Edit to remove all traces of the exchange server from my domain and tidy up O365 to remove any traces of the hybrid. 

I don't foresee having to do this for any other clients so I will never know if moving my first step to the end would have worked.

Cheers,

Tony

This is the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Since you have removed all traces of the on -premise Exchange server through  ADSI-Edit, In my point of view, you just could manage mailboxes through Exchange Online.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi Tony,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:40 AM