none
Outlook 2010 Folder Reconciliation

Question

• User with Outlook 2010 who works 90% of the time out of the office, via Outlook Anywhere. Over the last month the changes in their outlook (ost) are not getting back to Exchange 2007. 

They can get emails in their inbox, but if they move or delete those emails, the change does not get back to exchange. When they were in the office on the LAN connected to exchange I could not duplicate the problem. Everything worked fine. 

I logged on to a local machine with their mailbox and can see emails that they have deleted (outside the office via outlook anywhere) still sitting in their inbox. Connectivity is fine, checked the status and forced outlook to reconnect. No issues. they can receive and send without any problems. Just when the move/delete the change does not get back to exchange. 

Any help would be great. I really dont want to recreate the ost - because there is actually a large discrepancy now between the changes they have made remotely (delete and moves) that have not been reflected in exchange. 

Thanks - SJMP

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• Just to follow up - the user created a Contact and Calendar entry in their outlook anywhere profile. It did replicate back to the server. 
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:44 PM

All replies

• Also - the Outlook Profile on his laptop is set up with 1 exchange mailbox (the account I am troubleshooting) and 3 pop3 accounts. I am wondering if this might have something to do with it. The pop3 accounts all have their own inbox. Since there is just one account connecting to exchange i dont think it would interfere. But thought this worth mentioning. 
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for posting this.

So that I understand what your seeing better, let me ask the following for confirmation.

1. When an item is deleted or moved to another folder while in Outlook Anywhere, this change is not synced to the Outlook 2010 OST file. -Correct?

- This issue only occurs when the item is deleted\moved in Outlook Anywhere.

- If an affected user creates a new Contact in their Contacts folder from Outlook Anywhere, does this sync to the OST?

2. If the user deleted\moves an item while in Outlook Anywhere, does the item still show in Deleted Items or Moved when the user logs off and back in through Outlook Anywhere?

- What Exchange version is the user's Mailbox on?

3. If you create a new Outlook 2010 profile and configure it for Online mode, do the items show up in Deleted Items or in the folder the item was moved into?

4. From the user's Outlook 2010 Cached Exchange Mode profile:

- Are you able to get the folder to update by running an F9?

- Are you showing anything in Sync Issues | Local Failures?  --Local Failures will show items that failed to sync down from Exchange. 

- Are you able to do anything that will update the Mailbox folders to reflect what items were deleted or moved in Outlook Anywhere?

5. How many Outlook Anywhere users are experiencing the issue? Does a new OST resolve the issue? ---Is that a permanent fix, or temporary?

Hope that gets you started!

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hello Jahawk

Let me answer these for you. 

1. When the user make a move/delete in their OST via Outlook Anwhere (outside of the LAN) the change does not get resolved back to exchange. So... if I log in to the users profile and open their mailbox in non-cached mode the moved/deleted items are still located in the inbox. 

When you say sync to OST i need to clarify - while they are logged on to outlook remotely and using their local OST. So the sync issue is getting those move/deletes back to exchange - this is not happening. The user is making the changes in outlook on their local machine, outlook is connected to Exchange 2007 via Outlook Anywhere configuration. There are not Local issues on their outlook anywhere - when they move/delete an items it remains moved/deleted in their local cached .ost. 

I did try f9 and it did not have any effect. 

Online mode - does not reflect the changes. No Sync Issues or Local Failures. What else can I do to " will update the Mailbox folders to reflect what items were deleted or moved in Outlook Anywhere?"

This is the only user exp the issue. I assumethe issue will be resolved by recreating the .ost. I am trying to identify the cause to fix it. If we re-create the .ost all of their moves/deletes will be lost since the changes are not getting back to exchange. so the new .ost will not reflect this, this is why I am trying to figure out the issue before replacing the .ost

Thanks,

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Just to follow up - the user created a Contact and Calendar entry in their outlook anywhere profile. It did replicate back to the server. 
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Does anyone have any suggestions. Would be greatly appreciated. 

How can I run a debug on the sync to see why changes (email move/delete) is not getting back to Exchange?

Thanks - SJMP

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi SJMP,

To capture synchronization with an Outlook Anywhere profile, you could run a Network Monitor capture and\or an RPC trace from Outlook. You may be able to analyze a netmon cap (or wireshark) trace yourself, but you'd need to open a support incident with our Exchange Client Connectivity team for the RPC traces. --We'd need to gather the etl files and then convert them to a read-able format.

But, other things that you can do first would be:

1. While working in Outlook Anywhere (outside of LAN), confirm that new mail is arriving in Inbox. --If new mail is not arriving, first thing to check is anything that is in the way between the CAS and the Outlook Anywhere client.

2. Confirm additions to Calendar and Contacts made in Outlook Anywhere are syncing to Mailbox.

3. Confirm deletions in Calendar and Contacts made in Outlook Anywhere are syncing to Mailbox.

4. Confirm steps user makes when moving emails to other folders. --Is this manually, or by rule?

5. Confirm steps user makes when deleting the emails. --Is this manually, or by rule?

6. What COM Add-ins and Exchange Client Extensions is the affected user running with Outlook 2010?

- As a test, launch Outlook 2010 in safe mode into the Outlook Anywhere profile. --Start | Run | Type on the Open: line (without quotes) "Outlook.exe /safe" and click OK\Enter.

- In safe mode, no COM Add-ins or Exchange Client Extensions will be loaded\enabled. Move and delete mail items, then see if the changes were synced to the Mailbox server.

- If that works, perhaps a COM Add-in\Extension is munging the mail items to where they won't sync to the server? --But, I would expect it to be reflected in the Sync Issues > Local Failures folder the items not able to be synced.

If a COM Add-in\Extension is creating this behavior, then a new OST will be temporary fix. A permanent fix would be to disable the offending DLL from loading with Outlook, so that no new mail items are affected. --After you've pinpointed the COM Add-in\Exchange Client Extension, you should check with the vendor to obtain any newer versions\updates that are designed for Outlook 2010.

- After disabling the COM Add-in\Exchange Client Extension, existing items in current OST would likely not be corrected and would still not sync. You'd want to create a new OST for the profile.

I hope that gives you something that leads to a solution.

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:35 PM
  • SJMP,

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?  I am experiencing the exact same issue with Outlook 2010 on my W7 Pro 64 laptop - if I move or delete then the changes are not replicated, but I can do anything else normally and changes are sync'd back to Exchange (2007 on SBS 2008).  All of my other clients (Outlook 2007 on a couple of other PCs, iPhone, WinMo 6.5 phone, Android phone, OWA) are working properly.  I do have one difference - it does not matter if I am on LAN or outside network - the same thing happens.  My next step is to try recreating the OST file - I will let you know if there is any difference.

Thanks in advance - Kevin

Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hi Kevin and SJMP,

Is it only mail items that you're seeing the sync issue with? If you move\delete a Contact, does that sync up to the Mailbox? Is this affecting new items? Existing items? Both?

If you have a rule set up to move arriving mail to a sub-folder, does this sync to Mailbox? --I would think that should help confirm if this is affecting new mail items you are receiving currently.

Can you reproduce the behavior while running Outlook in safe mode?

And, thanks for testing with a new OST. I think that will fix you, but will it be a permanent fix. --If you're only seeing the issue with pre-exiting items in the OST, then a new OST will likely be a perm solution. If the issue is affecting new items, then I would say not. Then, it boil down to what types of items are affected and what could be modifying the items to where it never gets touched during a sync.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Hi Kevin, SJMP, Jahawk,

I also experience this issue with 2 (out of 300) users. They use Outlook 2010 in Cached Mode (on W7 x64) - Exchange 2010 (on W2k8 R2).

LAN or WAN(VPN), there's no difference. The changes made in Outlook are not 'synced back' to Exchange.

When I open OWA, I can see the differences.

I tried recreating the OST file, but this does not solve this problem. After a few days, same thing...

This is also (as with SJMP) not appreciated by the user, as she handles a lot of mail and sort them into a lot of folders.

Isn't there a way to 'push' the OST to the mailbox?

grtz,

Peter
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:08 PM