none
PowerPoint 2010 and mpeg-2

Question

• Does Powerpoint 2010 running on Windows 7 support embedded mpeg-2 files natively?  From reading some of the MS blogs it seems so, but that does not work for me.  I have a few different computers with Windows 7 and Powerpoint 2010 installed.  Trying to embed (or link) an mpeg-2 video results in an error when I try to embed or link it saying that there is no supported codec for the file.  However, I can play the same file with no problem on the same computer using Windows Media Player.  If I try to embed the file using the Powerpoint developer tools and play it using Media Player, I can get the video to play but there is no sound.  (Also this method is more complex and seems to have some other drawbacks such as not stopping and advancing during playback when an arrow key is pressed.)

Has anyone made this work?  If so, what additional codecs are needed (and why are they needed since Media Player can play the file)?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 has built-in codec to play MPEG-2 files. This issue may occur when there were some problems during the MPEG-2 file’s encoding process, or there are some third-party codecs installed on the computer and make some conflicts.

At this time, I suggest downloading the Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec from the link below and install it:

http://www.free-codecs.com/stinky_mpeg_2_codec_download.htm

Please check again if we can play the embedded MPEG-2 file.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Trust me that this does not work. It crashes PPT 2010 everytime. The only way to play mpeg-2 files (or mp4, or many other types) is to disable the advanced hardware acceleration in the advanced tab of the main menu. Microsoft is well aware of these problems and let's hope that it is addressed when the final version is launched this summer. The other choice is to convert your file to wav, but the quality is inferior in terms of playback.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you need to work around this issue by disabling the hardware acceleration. I have tried and the problem does not occur in Office 2010 RTM version. Hope you enjoy the RTM version.

Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:56 AM
  • This seems to suggest that the release-to-manufacture (rtm) version does not have the problem that I am experiencing with the beta. Is that the case? Thank you.

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I am running the RTM version and the problem does not occur on my side.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I am running the RTM version also.  PPT 2010 will not play MPEG-2 videos unless I install an additional codec such as dscaler.  This is on a brand new instal of Windows 7 Enterprise + Office 2010.  One strange thing that I did notice was that this seems to only happen if I save the PPT file in pptx format.  If I take the same blank presentation and save it in PPT format and then insert the mpeg2 video it will play.

Here is another thread discussing this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/pptpics/thread/c8863057-de46-489b-96f1-43ad7ac16d38/

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:07 AM
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:32 PM