none
Skype for Business not able to share screen when in call with Skype user RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user (Windows 7 machine) that when they are in Call with a Regular skype user ( regular user is on Windows 7 ) is not able to share there screen out.

If they end the call, then call the same contact back with regular skype they can then share the screen no problem.

Why are they not able to share the screen with regular skype users?  Is this a setting I need to allow on the Admin Level in O365?

Anyone else run into this issue?

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Desktop Sharing between Skype (consumer) and Lync/Skype for Business is not currently available.

Your clients could use a browser and connect to a Lync/Skype meeting using the Web App to share their screen: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Scheduling-a-Lync-Meeting-969bba48-03d7-442f-a230-158bba621a5e

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.
    Blog
    Lync Validator - Used to assist in the validation and documentation of Lync Server 2013.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Do we have a release date for this?  Seems a little strange this is not available.

The consumer can share desktop with consumer, Business can share desktop with business, but they can not share together .....

Who bright Idea was that?

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you, the share function between SFB client and Skype client is useful.

You can feedback by click the smile button on the top of the main window of SFB client, and hope the function will come soon.

Best Regards,
    Eason Huang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:12 AM
  • Skype for business is useless if it is not as good as nomral Skype to start with...

• Edited by StevenGVA Monday, August 10, 2015 9:14 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2015 9:13 AM
  • Why do we pay for Skype for business if we just have to download free Skype also to share desktops with our customers? We naturally assumed we'd be able to communicate between the two when purchasing our Skype licenses but will certainly stop buying them if we are paying for a more limited version of the product than is available for free.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:25 PM
  • Sharing the desktop with normal skype users (consumer skype version) is a MUST.

Expecially in small businesses you deal often with other small enterprises who use consumer version of skype. 

I understand that the "business" version is meant to preserve some exclusive features (such as collaborative editing of documents) but limiting the "de facto" standard use of skype is nonsense and counter-productive to the adoption of Skype for business.

Allowing multiparty calls with users of basic skype SW and sharing of screen are mandatory features. If not, very few users will migrate to the business version.

Saturday, May 7, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Is this ever going to be a thing? Not being able to share screens with regular Skype users is a pretty big thing!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Same here. I want to know. We are about to sign up for Office365 E3 plan. And we will have clients on the outside using Skype, not Skype for Business. After a lot of time and money to get E3 implemented, are we going to have to use WebEx or some other third party to make this work and share our Desktop with external clients??

I get that we would be paid customers and our clients might not be. Then make it a one way street and make us the only side that can share while the client cannot share with us. At least to get things started. Yeah as of now, it would be silly that we would have to conduct that meeting through the free Skype client just to get business done while not using the shiny Skype for Business client that we paid for. That we paid for. That we paid for. Did I say that we paid for?

Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:43 PM
  • We've been using Skype for Business for years and frankly I am baffled by this discussion. People who are outside your organization can join the meeting using the web client (S4B Web App), and my understanding is that tool has  had the ability to share screens for a long, long time. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-and-present-content-from-Skype-Meetings-App-Skype-for-Business-Web-App-234b0c06-a88d-4707-904c-4fd6c571fc01#ID0EAABAAA=Skype_for_Business_Web_App It is not necessary for users who are not a part of your organization to use a personal Skype account to join the meeting, so maybe that's part of the confusion here. Skype (personal) and Skype for Business are two different platforms, despite the similar sounding names. S4B is based on Office Communicator aka Lync, and Skype is well...  Skype that MS acquired several years ago. There is some connectivity in IM and voice features between the two SIP systems, but that's always been a loose connection and subject to problems. Trying to over-leverage Skype personal contacts in Skype for Business should be avoided, IMHO. Just send your attendees a web link to the meeting and tell them to use the web app if they don't have Office 365 installed on their computer and you should be good to go.
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:05 PM
  • So what if people outside your organisation want to initiate the discussion with screen sharing? One way initiation is not true collaboration.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 11:01 AM
  • That's exactly what we are currently experiencing and it's a shame from Microsoft to create such silos between Skype Enterprise and free Skype. It is non sense and very upsetting!
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:19 PM
  • Just wanted to share we had the same issue today i.e. while we have the E3 (Skype for Business) and the other party had personal Skype and we could not do the desktop sharing. Hope Microsoft will fix this soon.

Thanks,

Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:25 PM
  • 3 Years on the still the same problem can't share contacts between Skype for Business and Skype... Screen sharing is still a dream.

Please fix this microsoft.... 
    Sunday, January 14, 2018 10:27 AM
  • That used to work, but this week its stopped working using that method to!??! States I Need to log in or request to be presenter.. tried everything no joy... there's no option to change me from guest to presenter... the other person can share etc.. but not the guest
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:56 AM
  • Septermber 5, 2018.

Still cannot share screens between normal Skype & SfB.  I am a software developer with paid for Skype.  I use it with many clients - but not one who spent the money to buy SfB.  Do you have any idea how important screen sharing is to me?  No - I do not want to have to go to some web site - I want to be able to click Call, Share Screens the way I do with every other Skype user.

Microsoft has done nothing but devolve Skype since they bought it.  No - I'm not an MS hater, I use many MS products.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:59 PM