none
Office 2010 "Missing MSVCR90.dll" file

Question

• We just updated our Office 2007 to Office 2010 within the last 2 weeks. Within the last 3 days, a problem opening various Office programs gives us an error message "The program can't start becasue MSVCR90.dll is missing from your computer.Try re-installing the program to fix this problem". I have un-installed/re-installed, ran repairs, removed SP1 (Read on other forums that this helped), re-installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (also saw that the errors caused by this being gone or corrupt). Un-install/re-install works for short periods of time and then the problem surfaces again. The funny thing is that not all programs are affected by this. For example, I have a user who can use Word and Outlook, but the error pops up when trying to use Excel. Another user can use Word and Excel, but gets the message when Outlooks pops up.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try or do? Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:30 PM

Answers

• Well after doing some testing  the final verdict is that some 32-bit OS machines running 32-bit Office do not like some Office updates. If Outlook was giving me problems, I would uninstall all updates associated with Outlook, run a repair, restart and Outlook would then work. Same thing with Excel. It only affects 32bit OS with 32bit Office though. The 64 bit OS running either 32 or 64 bit Office are not affected. I don't know the cause, only a mild solution. Here is the list of updates that I uninstalled to make all my machines work:

KB982726

KB2553091

KB2553096

KB2553353

KB2589320

KB2553439

KB253323

KB2583935

KB2510690 (service pack 1)

If anyone has insight as to why this is the case, I am all ears. Again, this is only SOME 32bit OS/32bit Office installs that give the issue.

• Marked as answer by C_J_GO Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:45 PM
    • Edited by C_J_GO Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, it might be caused by software conflict.

Please verify if the user has installed the “Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime” on their PC.

Uninstall the tool, then repair the Office 2010 again.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. I have checked a couple of the computers that we are having problems with and I have not seen the software you mentioned above explicitly. I have notice a MS Visual C++ 2005 program. Here is a screenshot of the MS programs installed on these machines.

All machines are running Windows 7 Pro/Executive

• Edited by C_J_GO Monday, January 23, 2012 4:04 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:51 PM
  • I was just notified from a user that this issue is sporadic. One time they try to open an Excel file it will not open, and other times it will open. Often times they double click an Excel file, it gives the error, they come back from lunch and the file is open.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I have a client who's Office programs worked with removing all instances of C++ (2005 and 2008), uninstalling Office 2010 and re-installing. Another client I did the exact same process and all programs work except for Outlook which gives me the same error.

Anyone have any other thoughts on things I can try?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I would also like to add that some clients that do run the program, have to re-configure Office every time they restart their computer. This happens every day when they start up for the day. This eventually does everything by itself and Office programs work, but its interesting that this would be happening as well.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the detail.

We recommend that you check for multiple Office installations on your computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start.
      • For Windows 7, click in the Search programs and files box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and then click OK.
    3. Check the list of currently installed programs for multiple installations of the Microsoft Office suite.

If you have more than one installation of a Microsoft Office suite on your computer we recommend that you will have to uninstall the Microsoft Office Starter, Microsoft Office Click-to-Run or Microsoft Office Trial suite and repair the installation of Microsoft Office 2010.

You can use the following Fix it solution to clean up the installation of Office suite:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

If there is only one installation of Microsoft Office 2010 on the computer, please try the method 2 in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528748/

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please inform the result.

Thanks

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:37 AM
  • For 90% of my clients, I found the problem to be Symantec Endpoint Protection must have corrupted a registry file. Uninstalling SEP (we are deploying a new version anyways), then uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2010 resolved the issue (thus far). I do have a client right now that already had SEP removed and still is missing the .dll file. I ran method 2 from the above post, but still no go with the missing .dll. I am uninstalling and going to reinstall Office 2010 right now and will post back the results.
    • Marked as answer by Rex ZhangModerator Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by C_J_GO Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:44 PM
  • The re installation of Office 2010 AFTER the uninstall of SEP has so far been the ticket. I will keep this thread updated with any other information that is relevant to this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Rex ZhangModerator Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by C_J_GO Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Well, I have some bad news. Even after the un-installatin of SEP, and the uninstall/reinstall of Office 2010, we are still running into the MSVCR90.dll file missing.

I have ensured that Office 2010 is the only instance of an Office product and there is no anti-virus currently on these machines as we thought it was blocking an install file.

Anything else to try?

Here is a list of the installed programs:

• Edited by C_J_GO Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I have tried uninstalling every Microsoft item in the list aove with the exception of the .Net framework. The installed program list is getting shorter and still encountering the same issue.

Typically, an un-installation and a re-installation of Office 2010 lasts for about 1-2 days before giving that missing file error. Nothing else is being installed on these machines with the exception of Office updates; which all computers receive them on our network so I am hesitant to think it is a bad update.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Well after doing some testing  the final verdict is that some 32-bit OS machines running 32-bit Office do not like some Office updates. If Outlook was giving me problems, I would uninstall all updates associated with Outlook, run a repair, restart and Outlook would then work. Same thing with Excel. It only affects 32bit OS with 32bit Office though. The 64 bit OS running either 32 or 64 bit Office are not affected. I don't know the cause, only a mild solution. Here is the list of updates that I uninstalled to make all my machines work:

KB982726

KB2553091

KB2553096

KB2553353

KB2589320

KB2553439

KB253323

KB2583935

KB2510690 (service pack 1)

If anyone has insight as to why this is the case, I am all ears. Again, this is only SOME 32bit OS/32bit Office installs that give the issue.

• Marked as answer by C_J_GO Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:45 PM
    • Edited by C_J_GO Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Got a new HP DT Unit, with 64bit WIn 7. Same error. Had to completely remove the Office and re-install from scratch to fix. Works for a while then comes back. Scratchin my head now.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Are you running the 64-bit Office as well or the 32bit? Do not let the updates come through automatically. Install each update one-by-one until the program stops working; then you know what update is causing this.

Friday, June 08, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I have found that there is an update specifically for excel that has caused this issue.  if you go to control panel, programs and features, then view installed updates, you should find only one security update just for excel.  if you remove that update, everything works fine.

hope that helps someone.

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:02 PM
  • doesn't work for me. Have done every step suggested here. Last : uninstall security update for Excel, but at restart I get the same msg : msvcr90.dll  missing.

I can't believe MIcrosoft  CANNOT fix his own generated problems !

Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:56 AM