none
Simple LYNC Test Setup - Will this setup let me call out to the PSTN?

Question

• Hi,

I have successfully setup LYNC on a single server in a test domain, and am able to make Lync client to Lync client (ie PC-PC) calls successfully, along with web/AV conferencing.

My next step is to test the Enterprice voice functionality by being able to place calls out to the PSTN. I have long standing experience with IP PBXs but have never setup OCS before and things are entirely different when it comes to setting this up compared to what I'm used to and I'm struggling.

My Lync Server is a virtual server with a single NIC and I am planning on setting up Lync in the following fashion.

Lync Server > Ingate Siparator SIP G/W (with Int interface on same LAN as Lync Server and WAN interface for ITSP connection) > ITSP SIP Trunk

The ITSP we use will not directly interface with Lync so I am planning on using the Ingate to sit between the ITSP and Lync server and handle the translation. I am very familiar with the Ingate devices and I know the Ingate devices work with OCS R2 (According to Ingate) but wondered if anyone has any experience of setting this up they would share as there is very little documentation from either Ingate or for setting up Lync in such a fashion.

In this scenario do I need to setup the Ingate as a PSTN gateway or because of the way I am planning on deploying it, do I need to configure Lync as if I was using Direct SIP, as I assume the Ingate will appear to the Lync Server as if it were a direct ITSP connection?

Also does the RC version of Lync have all the necessary components for me to complete this test?

Thanks

Paul

Friday, October 08, 2010 9:39 AM

Answers

• Just configure a pstn gateway in your topology builder with your ingate siparator information. Plublish the topology, and then go to the voice routing tab of the Lync Admin console and configure the appropriate routes.

You should be able to complete that just fine.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas Kisner Monday, October 11, 2010 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by pjr2010 Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:03 AM
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:26 PM

All replies

• Just configure a pstn gateway in your topology builder with your ingate siparator information. Plublish the topology, and then go to the voice routing tab of the Lync Admin console and configure the appropriate routes.

You should be able to complete that just fine.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas Kisner Monday, October 11, 2010 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by pjr2010 Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:03 AM
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hi Randy,

I think I'm almost there. I can now see from a packet capture on my gateway that calls are being sent to it but going no further, so I just need to tweak my dial plan and I should be all good.

Thanks

Paul

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:04 AM