Word and Excel hang "downloading" file from network drive - copy file to be able to open it RRS feed

• Question

• Word or Excel hang trying to open files on a network drive maybe after an untidy close.

Symptoms:  pick the file from a pinned entry on recent list or even direct from File!Open... or by double clicking on the file from file explorer.  Word/Excel show in the middle of the status line a comment "Downloading:filename "   a progress bar, that shows no progress, and a white cross on a red circle to close.  Some minutes later may Excel/Word  say could not open filename.

I have removed any temporary copies of the file prefixed with the ~. However there are no documents shown in any document recovery pane.

If I rename the original file the problem is still there.

I can only clear the problem by working on a copy of the file. It works with either a new name of if the copy is used to replace the original file.

It seems file explorer's "copy" is clearing something within the file that is causing this problem.

I have seen the same issue with both Excel and Word documents in native Office 2010 format.

Is there a better way to clear this issue?

Thanks

Friday, July 4, 2014 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It doesn't hang/crash, does it?

If you could provide the exact error message, it would be preferred to determine the cause.

You can also try the steps below to modify the registry, as mentioned in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ba5114e0-98dd-4b44-a078-373df8899048/word-2007-issue-slow-opening-files?forum=word

Note your 12.0 represents Office 2007, 14.0 is for Office 2010.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry,
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Word

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.14\Shell\Open\Command                

Rename Subkey “Command” to “Old_Command”                

Rename Key “ddeexec” to “Old_ddeexec”

Using FileType Manager change .xls from Word.Sheet.8 to Word.Sheet.14 In the Open Command append “%1” 

.docx In the Open Command append “%1” 

Excel

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Document.14\Shell\Open\Command                

Rename Subkey “Command” to “Old_Command”                

Rename Key “ddeexec” to “Old_ddeexec”

Using FileType Manager change .xls from Excel.Sheet.8 to Excel.Sheet.14 In the Open Command append “%1” 

.xlsx In the Open Command append “%1”

If the issue persists, you can also read this KB below and let me know if it is helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937/en-us

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:39 AM