Meeting Reminder Disappears on Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I set up a meeting in Outlook, the reminder is set to five minutes by default. I send out the meeting request, people respond, and all is good.

BUT -- if I re-schedule the meeting or try to send out an update with new information, the reminder switches to "None", and my update gets sent out without a reminder (since I don't always remember to double-check it...).

This also happens to some of my co-workers.  I've hunted around online but I can't find a solution.

My problem is pretty much the same as what's described here, but no solution is posted:  https://groups.google.com/

I'm using Outlook 2007 (SP2) on Windows XP Professional, with an Exchange account.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks!

• Edited by bbrooke Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Brooke,

I have tested in my lab, if we update the meeting , the reminder will not into None automatically. Unless you have dismissed the reminder for the meeting ,

And only this scene, the reminder will become None automatically.

So , if we have dismissed it, we can change “None” to the time we want on the reminder and regain our remind.  

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:09 AM
  • OK, thanks.  I realize I can reset the reminder manually when I re-schedule or make an update (if I remember to do that); but, I don't understand why the reminder gets reset to "None" in the first place when I update or re-schedule an appointment, since my default reminder in Tools-->Options is five minutes.

Oh well.  I guess I'll live with it!  Thanks anyway.

-- Brooke

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check how long the reminder time be configured ?

1.Click on “Tools”

2.Click on “Options”

3.Look on the “Preferences” tab, in the “Calendar” section (second from the   

top)

4.Select your preferred reminder time from the drop down box.

Click ok

By default, it will remind you per 15 minute.

If it is not an issue about time. You can try to type outlook /cleanreminders or outlook /resetfolders to fix it .

More information for your reference.

Outlook Calendar and Task reminders do not appear as expected

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286166

Wendy Liu

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks, but that's not the issue.  My default reminder (in Tools-->Options) is five minutes, and that works as intended when I create a new meeting.

The problem crops up when I try to re-schedule or update an existing meeting.  In that case, the dialog comes up with the reminder as "None" rather than staying at my default setting (five minutes).  If I forget to double-check that, then the update goes out to other attendees without a reminder...

Why does the reminder get turned off when I'm updating or rescheduling a meeting?

-- Brooke

• Edited by bbrooke Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Hi Brooke,

I have tested in my lab, if we update the meeting , the reminder will not into None automatically. Unless you have dismissed the reminder for the meeting ,

And only this scene, the reminder will become None automatically.

So , if we have dismissed it, we can change “None” to the time we want on the reminder and regain our remind.  

Wendy Liu

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:09 AM
  • OK, thanks.  I realize I can reset the reminder manually when I re-schedule or make an update (if I remember to do that); but, I don't understand why the reminder gets reset to "None" in the first place when I update or re-schedule an appointment, since my default reminder in Tools-->Options is five minutes.

Oh well.  I guess I'll live with it!  Thanks anyway.

-- Brooke

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi ,

If you dismissed the meeting before update or re-schedule. The reminder value will change to “None” automatically .

If you don’t dismiss it, and it becomes “None”, you can try to fix it use outlook /cleanreminders and outlook /resetfolders .

Outlook Calendar and Task reminders do not appear as expected:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286166

Wendy Liu

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi wendy_liu,

I have the same issue as bbrooke. I did not dismiss the reminder because the meeting is always rescheduled much before the reminder goes off (default 15 minutes, but I usually change meeting time a day in advance). Also when you tested in your lab, did you actually do a meeting between you and another party? Because I find if it's just sometime in my own calendar (no one else invited) and I reset that, the reminder default stays. It is only when other people are invited and I update the meeting time, the reminder resets itself to "None" instead of my pre-set 15 minutes. This issue is happening to everyone in my office that I've spoken with.

Regards,

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hello Wendy Liu,

I have the same problem.  My default reminder is set to 5 minutes.

The problem occurs when I have a recurring meeting, one of the attendees (or the host) proposes a new time, and I accept.

If I open only the rescheduled appointment, I cannot change the reminder (i.e. it is inactive).  I must re set it for the entire series.

Thank you for your prompt response!

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Bumping this as I would love a macro/workaround/rule/etc. to handle this same issue.

To rephrase to the issue (and I apologize to the previous askers if I miss some nuance of your question/problem):

- A meeting's reminder goes off and is dismissed

- The meeting gets rescheduled (for whatever reason and by whomever)

- I accept (if it's not my meeting)

- The meeting now has a new scheduled time. At this point I'd love to have a macro that kicked off automatically, and checked the Reminder. If Reminder = "None" then set it to my default (i'll settle for a hard coded value if getting the personal default setting is a pain)

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Monday, July 21, 2014 8:03 PM
  • I am having the same problem. Anyone got any update or fix for this please?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Obviously the Technet support person wasn't understanding.  I also see this issue - anytime I alter an existing meeting entry the reminder disappears.
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:28 AM
  • bump.  same issue on Outlook 2016.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:30 PM
  • This painful Outlook defect has existed for years through multiple versions, and is long overdue for correction.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Bump as I also have this issue with meeting reminders.

Missing an important meeting is bad and we depend on this technology to work as expected.

To recap what I see:

1.  I have a recurring meeting set up with a reminder for 15 minute.

2. The customer asked to push the meeting to the same time the following week, so I open the meeting (just this occurrence), change the date to the next week and send the update.

3. No one joined the meeting because the reminder was set to NONE.

I need this behavior fixed as this causes a lot of issues when having to reschedule a meeting because the technology is not working properly.

Can we get an update and escalate this issue?

Best regards,

Winston

Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:14 PM