none
Archive and retention policies RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use archive mailboxes for Shared mailboxes with retention policies..and if it is could you point me in the doc direction?
    Friday, June 5, 2015 8:23 PM

Answers

• I was able to create the in place archive of the Shared Mailboxes. I was only ever able to see them in the Outlook client. They would NOT show up in OWA.
    • Marked as answer by Bryan Marks Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:10 PM

All replies

• In Office 365?  Shared mailboxes can't have archives in Office 365 by licensing restriction.  In on-premises, I don't know that there's any way to connect to an archive mailbox associated with a shared mailbox.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, to open shared mailbox, users must be assigned full access permission.

Then Sign In owa, on the Outlook Web App nav bar, click on your name then click Open another mailbox. Type the SMTP address of shared mailbox.

If the shared mailbox is archived, then you can also see the archived mailbox of shared mailbox.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 9:20 AM
  • I was able to create the in place archive of the Shared Mailboxes. I was only ever able to see them in the Outlook client. They would NOT show up in OWA.
    • Marked as answer by Bryan Marks Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:10 PM
  • I can see my Office 365 Online Archive in OWA.  I had to expand "More" under "Folders" for it to show up.

Archive mailboxes are not supported for shared mailboxes in Office 365. 

By definition a shared mailbox has a disabled user account so there's no way to get to an archive mailbox associated with one since you can't log into the primary mailbox.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:52 PM
  • No On-premise.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:14 PM
  • My last point above applies to on-premises.

By definition a shared mailbox has a disabled user account so there's no way to get to an archive mailbox associated with one since you can't log into the primary mailbox.

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:02 PM