none
Deleted RRS feed

Answers

• Hi, load balancer affinity is normally used to overcome the multiple re-authentications and its delay when SharePoint users need to be authenticated for each web front end server that is behind the load balancer.

SharePoint 2013 use claims infrastructure and the new Distributed Cache Service to store login tokens, load balancer affinity is no longer reuiqred for SharePoint 2013 farm because of this dedicated cahe service.

I remember it is documeted in one of MSDN what's new in SharePoint 2013 article.

I hope this is what you looking for.

James

Please mark as Answered if it helped you
    James Tsai | SharePoint Consultant | MCPD,MCTS | www.jamestsai.net

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Jacob, in the same MSDN article that both stackexchange and me referring to - it describes

• More logging makes the troubleshooting of authentication issues easier

SharePoint 2013 has much more logging to help you troubleshoot authentication issues. Examples of enhanced logging support are the following:

• Separate categorized-claims related logs for each authentication mode

• Information about adding and removing FedAuth cookies from the Distributed Cache Service

• Information about the reason why a FedAuth cookie could not be used, such as a cookie expiration or a failure to decrypt

• Information about where authentication requests are redirected

• Information about the failures of user migration in a specific site collection

It sounds to me that SharePoint 2013 has scaled Authentication/Cache Service out, meaning troubleshooting authentication issues is much more easier in 2013. No need for balancer affinity to do this job.

I hope this helps

James

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi, load balancer affinity is normally used to overcome the multiple re-authentications and its delay when SharePoint users need to be authenticated for each web front end server that is behind the load balancer.

SharePoint 2013 use claims infrastructure and the new Distributed Cache Service to store login tokens, load balancer affinity is no longer reuiqred for SharePoint 2013 farm because of this dedicated cahe service.

I remember it is documeted in one of MSDN what's new in SharePoint 2013 article.

I hope this is what you looking for.

James

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Jacob, in the same MSDN article that both stackexchange and me referring to - it describes

• More logging makes the troubleshooting of authentication issues easier

SharePoint 2013 has much more logging to help you troubleshoot authentication issues. Examples of enhanced logging support are the following:

• Separate categorized-claims related logs for each authentication mode

• Information about adding and removing FedAuth cookies from the Distributed Cache Service

• Information about the reason why a FedAuth cookie could not be used, such as a cookie expiration or a failure to decrypt

• Information about where authentication requests are redirected

• Information about the failures of user migration in a specific site collection

It sounds to me that SharePoint 2013 has scaled Authentication/Cache Service out, meaning troubleshooting authentication issues is much more easier in 2013. No need for balancer affinity to do this job.

I hope this helps

James

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:50 PM
  • please read about the new request management feature when you consider load balancing : http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2013rm1.aspx
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Deleted
    Friday, March 8, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Deleted
    Friday, March 8, 2013 3:05 PM