none
Outlook Application Error

Question

• Good evening.

I have a client running Outlook, as part of Office 2010, connecting to a server running SBS 2003. Outlook suddenly started crashing when email was being sent. The only thing that makes it work again is deleting and recreating the Outlook User Profile, but after half a dozen sent emails, the crashing begins again.

This only happens on one PC, running Windows 7 Pro. All the other office PCs are working fine.

Office 2010 was uninstalled and reinstalled twice. Caching for Exchange on Outlook was turned off. All add-ins (except the Exchange connector) were disabled. The Outlook User Profile was deleted and recreated three times. Any updates to Office 2010 were months ago. None of these actions resolved the issue.

From the Event Log:

--------------------------------

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          8/02/2013 2:07:18 p.m.

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Office4.<domain>.local

Description:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.4760.1000, time stamp: 0x4ba8fefd

Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 14.0.5123.5000, time stamp: 0x4c646c1f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003c0fd4

Faulting process id: 0xd8c

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce05989a2d74e6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\wwlib.dll

Report Id: e1917ca6-718b-11e2-bde0-3cd92b767388

and then:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          8/02/2013 2:07:41 p.m.

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Office4.<domain>.local

Description:

Fault bucket 2060472764, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: OUTLOOK.EXE

P2: 14.0.4760.1000

P3: 4ba8fefd

P4: wwlib.dll

P5: 14.0.5123.5000

P6: 4c646c1f

P7: c0000005

P8: 003c0fd4

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\22325037.cvr

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\LoadedBodyStream-22325037-0.out

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\CVR67FC.tmp.cvr

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA7AA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OUTLOOK.EXE_704efd4db55146549be8356e57ccfe8d2cbfab20_0b2100c2

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: e1917ca6-718b-11e2-bde0-3cd92b767388

Report Status: 0

--------------------------------

Publisher 2007 from the previous version of Office is still installed, but that was removed too and made no difference.

Any insights as to what has gone wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Grant P.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the opinion, Tony. However, it didn't pan out.

I logged onto another PC with the same software (Win 7, Office 2010) as the user in question, and the email was sending perfectly. That suggested the problem was with the PC.

However, I performed a clean startup - even uninstalling the antivirus software - on the PC, and the problem was still there. Suggesting the server.

One thing of note - if the user removed the signature from email messages, then Outlook was sending fine.

Puzzling, no?

The problem is moot now - while the answer might have proved interesting, this was a production machine in an office environment, and my client needed it working. I backed up the user's email, removed her from the server, purged the mailbox from Exchange, then recreated the user ID and imported her email back. All is working well, with a signature in Outlook.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• In my opinion, this issue might be none business of Office application, but user's profile or his mailbox.

Try to access his mailbox through another machine and test whether message cannot send out without crash. If the issue happen again, we need to move his mailbox to anther data store on server to fix the issue.

If not, go back the problematic PC, perform a Win 7 clean boot as the following link, and then disable all of security programs (included mail scanner module), create a new Outlook profile for further testing.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for the opinion, Tony. However, it didn't pan out.

I logged onto another PC with the same software (Win 7, Office 2010) as the user in question, and the email was sending perfectly. That suggested the problem was with the PC.

However, I performed a clean startup - even uninstalling the antivirus software - on the PC, and the problem was still there. Suggesting the server.

One thing of note - if the user removed the signature from email messages, then Outlook was sending fine.

Puzzling, no?

The problem is moot now - while the answer might have proved interesting, this was a production machine in an office environment, and my client needed it working. I backed up the user's email, removed her from the server, purged the mailbox from Exchange, then recreated the user ID and imported her email back. All is working well, with a signature in Outlook.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:12 AM