none
Cannot install Office 2010, info and error message inside

Question

• I've tried to install both the x86 and x64 versions and neither of them will install.  I had Office 2007 installed and removed it like the 2010 installer asked.  And now when I try to install it, I get the following error:

"Setup cannot find office.en-us\officemui.msi.  Browse to a valid installation source, and then click OK."

I point it to the proper location and it says it's an invalid location.

I am trying to install it on a Windows 7 system.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that the problem persists.

I searched our database and found a similar issue which is resolved by the following KB article. Please also try the suggestions here to see if the problem can be resolved.

The 2007 Office suite Setup program will not restart after an initial installation is interrupted

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927153

Note: The steps are for Office 2007. They are similar as the steps for Office 2010.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If the problem persists, I would like to confirm whether this Office product is a retail product or a volume license product which is release by pre-cache? Also, what’s the version of your operating system?

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:12 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:00 AM

All replies

• Here is a thread that talks about this problem in general, see if it helps

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread112224.html

and you may want to post into this area:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I did check out that first link before I posted here.  All the Google searches I did showed stuff for older versions and stuff that didn't work anyway.  And that second link is for Windows XP.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

You can go to the installation source, and open the office.en-us folder, check if the file officemui.msi is there. If it is not there, try to copy it from another place.

If the file is there, I suggest trying to completely remove the Office programs from the computer, and then install Office 2010 again.

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate12" to "OfficeUpdate12OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed reply Sally, but it's still not working.  I get the same error message.

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that the problem persists.

I searched our database and found a similar issue which is resolved by the following KB article. Please also try the suggestions here to see if the problem can be resolved.

The 2007 Office suite Setup program will not restart after an initial installation is interrupted

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927153

Note: The steps are for Office 2007. They are similar as the steps for Office 2010.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If the problem persists, I would like to confirm whether this Office product is a retail product or a volume license product which is release by pre-cache? Also, what’s the version of your operating system?

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:12 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Sorry, I didn't get an email notification that you replied.  I'm still having this problem.

In fact, I just setup a brand new, fresh install of Windows 7 and it is also having these errors.  There has to be something in the .iso you guys are providing for us.  This is a 100% clean install and is getting these errors.  Someone needs to fix this.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:14 PM
  • bump I too have been plagued with this issue. I am trying to install the academic version of Office 2010 on XP sp3. I download a 1G file,.exe. Launching this file resulted in a lot of action followed by an error message about something with not having the correct language installed (huh?) Google search revealed that the exe has to have the files extracted. You have to so this with the command line of the exe. Using Winzip or whatever, while looking correct, doesn't work, you get a totally different error, something about a dll somewhere. So using the /extract command line switch, I put everything on a USB drive in the /office subfolder off the root. I run setup and it goes a little while and then comes up with the missing file thing, this one being /powerpoint.en-us/pptlr.cab. Nothing I do can make this succeed. All the files are indeed there, no problem at all. I take this entire /office folder contents and copy them to /office on the hard drive of XP. Run the setup from there and this time it trips up at /office.en-us/officemui.msi. Again, nothing I do can get it to accept the file. I found a search result that said to copy the /office.en-us folder and contents to the desktop, run setup and when the error comes up point to the desktop. I do this and it works, it starts installing. But then shortly it comes back up again and pointing to the desktop is once again futile. Nothing works again, no matter what I do. Some sleuthing shows that the files in the /office folder are being copied to various locations in the /msocache folder on the hard drive. For some reason the file in question is missing from the msocache folder, all the other files of that subfolder are there. Using filemon, I can see where the installer is reading the file from the /office subfolder mess, and successfully copying into the /msocache subfolder. But then it inexplicably deletes it. Whether this deletion is happening after an error detection or if it is a bug, I have no idea. I update msiexec to 4.5, ran window installer cleanup (this is a clean install - nothing to cleanup), nothing worked at all. Out of frustration, I went back to the USB drive, ran setup, and it went through to completion! Well, mostly, it crashed XP while doing updates, but it appears that office is now running. I have no idea why the USB started working on the install. There are definitely some serious issues on this. My searching has shown that it has been happening since at least office 2007. It may not be widespread, but there are definitely issues. Thanks. [edit] sorry for lack of line breaks - It was formatted all nicely as I typed.
    • Edited by carpboy2 Sunday, January 01, 2012 10:30 PM
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 10:28 PM