none
SharePoint 3 Central Administration cannot be accessed remotely RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have installed sharepoint 3 role in windows server 2008, then i made this server a domain controller uhm i guess the best way was to do it viceversa, anyway i have no problems accessing the website and central administration locally using http://ServerName: Port however when i try to access them with another computer (member of the domain) using the same url i can access the website (port 80) but when i try to access central administration (using Port) i get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error without prompting for credentials, what am i doing wrong? thanx

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:50 AM

Answers

• Windows Server 2008 has not yet been released.

Beta products are only supported in newsgroups and forums for the Beta product. (RC level is still a beta).

In a normal Windows Server 2003 environment, the standard WSS 3.0 when installed using Basic Installation and thus using the embedded SQL Server 2005 Express database system (Windows Internal Database) does not support remote connections.

I would guess that this might apply to the version that you get with Windows Server 2008 as well. But you will have to ask in a beta newsgroup/forum for Windows Server 2008. Not here.

Mike Walsh

Sunday, October 21, 2007 12:35 PM

All replies

• Windows Server 2008 has not yet been released.

Beta products are only supported in newsgroups and forums for the Beta product. (RC level is still a beta).

In a normal Windows Server 2003 environment, the standard WSS 3.0 when installed using Basic Installation and thus using the embedded SQL Server 2005 Express database system (Windows Internal Database) does not support remote connections.

I would guess that this might apply to the version that you get with Windows Server 2008 as well. But you will have to ask in a beta newsgroup/forum for Windows Server 2008. Not here.

Mike Walsh

Sunday, October 21, 2007 12:35 PM
  • thanx, so i cant however, can i mmm move the database to sql server 2005? after installing sql server 2005 with sharepoint installed?

Sunday, October 21, 2007 5:38 PM