none
An exception of type System.MemberAccessException was thrown. while executing PSConfig Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have done installation of updates & patches on SharePoint 2013 WFE server, afterwards while executing PSConfig wizard. I encountered with the below error at Task number 2

An exception of type System.MemberAccessException was thrown.  

Additional exception information: Cannot create an instance of System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2
    [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUrlZone,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T]] because Type.ContainsGenericParameters is true.

Configuration database version: 15.0.4787.1000
    Steps taken

1) Clear cache config files

2) Run PS-Config from UI- failed

3) run PS-Config from PowerShell with below command

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures 

below updates has been installed in the WFE server

Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 (KB3085582)  
    Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server (KB3085567) 
    Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server (KB3085568) 
    Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2920730) 

Please provide any solution for the same.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Pankaj Bangde

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:07 PM

Answers

• Please indicate in which log file you saw the above error message.  Please also check these ULS log files:

• Upgrade
    • Upgrade error
    • PSCDIagnostics
    • [servername]

at the times that you saw the error.  Use ULSViewer to help you rapidly review ULS logs.

Other troubleshooting checks:

1. Identify that account that is the SharePoint Setup User Administrator account (e.g., spAdmin)
    2. Verify that it is member of server Administrator group on all farm servers
    3. Verify that it mapped as dbowner role for all farm databases - particularly the farm configuration database
    4. Verify that it has securityadmin and dbcreator roles on the farm SQL Server instance.  Try elevating this to sysadmin.
    5. Membership in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group.
    6. Membership in the IIS_WPG role.

References

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:24 PM

All replies

• Did you execute command in elevated shell.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

Yes, I have ran through elevated Shell

Pankaj Bangde

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:56 AM
  • Pankaj

I need to ask some basic troubleshooting questions:

• Did you launch the shell as Administrator
    • Which account did you use to login to the machine and run the command
    • have you used this account before to install updates
    • What account did you use to perform the installation of SharePoint 2013 to this machine
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

• Yes, I have launched shell as administrator as well as with Service account
    • For login to machine I have used my account and to run PowerShell I used Service Account
    • Yes, For other servers too I have used this service account, and it was successfully completed on (Other WFE, APP1& APP2 servers
    • it was my colleague account for SharePoint installation with Admin privilege.

To find more details/resolution on this issue I have performed reboot of the server clear cache config files  tried PSConfig Wizards from UI as well as from PowerShell.. Same Issue occurred

I got the below additional information as below in ULS log.

---------------------------------------

Message  Correlation
    INFO No context object 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    ERROR SPManager.Initialize failed. 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    INFO No context object 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    ERROR Exception: Cannot create an instance of System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUrlZone,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T]] because Type.ContainsGenericParameters is true. 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    ERROR 
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.CheckCanCreateInstance(Type declaringType, Boolean isVarArg)    
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAutoSerializingObject.InvokeEmptyConstructor(Type type)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAutoSerializingObject.DeserializeBasicObject(XmlElement xmlValue, Boolean isMerge, Boolean bResolveMissingTypes)   
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAutoSerializingObject.SetStateXml(XmlNodeList childNodes, Boolean isMerge, Boolean bResolveMissingTypes)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAutoSerializingObject.SetStateXml(XmlDocument value, Boolean bResolveMissingTypes)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Initialize(ISPPersistedStoreProvider persistedStoreProvider, Guid id, Guid parentId, String name, SPObjectStatus status, Int64 version, XmlDocument state)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(Guid id, Guid parentId, Guid type, String name, SPObjectStatus status, Byte[] versionBuffer, String xml)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.FetchObject(Guid id)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(Guid id, Boolean checkInMemoryCache, Boolean checkFileSystemCache)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.ISPPersistedStoreProvider.GetParent(SPPersistedObject persistedObject)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Validate()    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.BaseUpdate()    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.ResolveObjectAndClassVersions(SPLog log)    
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.BootStrap(Guid sessionId, SPUpgradeOperationFlags flags) 

Pankaj Bangde

Friday, February 5, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Please indicate in which log file you saw the above error message.  Please also check these ULS log files:

• Upgrade
    • Upgrade error
    • PSCDIagnostics
    • [servername]

at the times that you saw the error.  Use ULSViewer to help you rapidly review ULS logs.

Other troubleshooting checks:

1. Identify that account that is the SharePoint Setup User Administrator account (e.g., spAdmin)
    2. Verify that it is member of server Administrator group on all farm servers
    3. Verify that it mapped as dbowner role for all farm databases - particularly the farm configuration database
    4. Verify that it has securityadmin and dbcreator roles on the farm SQL Server instance.  Try elevating this to sysadmin.
    5. Membership in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group.
    6. Membership in the IIS_WPG role.

References

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Pankaj

Please be sure to check that the farm service account is mapped as dbowner for all farm databases.  Sometimes, when performing monthly upgrades, I have found that this and other service accounts lose their mapping; and the loss of this mapping can be one cause of the error that you see.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:07 PM
  • Hi Pankaj,

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

I'm facing the same issue and have tried many things but just one server keeps failing.

Regards,

Charan

Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:27 PM
  • I have a same problem. Search this thread I answered there: sharepoint-2016-upgrade-mayjune-2018-fails

Monday, May 27, 2019 10:31 AM