none
Outlook 2016 prompting for login credentials when opening any email attachments

Question

• Some of our Outlook 2016 users are getting a prompt for login credentials when opening any email attachments. The attachments open with no problem and users can simply close out the prompt without entering anything. Then they can click the Need Password at the bottom right of the screen and it connects again. This only happens when opening an email attachment.

This is happening for several users, including myself. The users did not make any changes. The issue started on 9/26/17. I have tried quick repair, full online repair, install all windows updates, and all office updates. This is happening for all attachments and file types. This even happens when using the attachment preview feature within Outlook.

Monday, October 02, 2017 6:49 PM

All replies

• We are seeing this for one user also.

Here's another report (not us):

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29059312/Outlook-asks-for-username-and-password-when-opening-attachments-using-Office-365-and-Exchange-2016-local.html

• Proposed as answer by Chompster2k Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 03, 2017 12:19 AM
  • Hi T. Cole,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Could you please collect the detailed build number of Outlook on the machines affected by the problem and check if it is the same as the build number (version 1708, Build 8431.2079) mentioned in the link shared by LMagic? 

If this is the case, please try to test on one of the problematic machines by rolling back the update to an earlier version (for example, Build 8326.2107) and see if the issue can be worked around: 

How to revert to an earlier version of Office 2013 or Office 2016 Click-to-Run

Any updates, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi 

At least 2 machines here at the office... 1708, Build 8431.2079.. aplied the revert process and its working fine.

Regards

Eloi Leitão

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Same build on Windows 7 and Windows 10 here. 

Some details. It's creating a SPPI login with their corp email (user@domain.com) with a Session of "Logon Session" in the Credential Manager.  It seems if they have a Microsoft account at O365 and enter the creds, it will work, for a bit (less than a day).  It will prompt again however in about a day. Some of my users do not have an Office 365 account and nothing entered will get it to go away unless we hit cancel.  In addition, this build "looks" to have cleared the previous enterprise creds, so first, off they had to enter a password when opening Outlook. 

The prompts are going to Microsoft servers it would seem (for any Word, Excel attachment preview or opening). 

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Any idea what is causing this and if MS has a bug fix planned for this?
    Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Version 1708, Build 8431.2079

Works after reverting back to earlier version. Please fix the bug in the current version.

• Edited by T. Cole Wednesday, October 04, 2017 7:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Gabriel S Almeida Thursday, October 05, 2017 2:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gabriel S Almeida Thursday, October 05, 2017 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:42 PM
  • Microsoft release yesterday a new update for office Version 1708 (Build 8431.2094)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I`m testing on my clients and it`s working 

Thursday, October 05, 2017 2:33 PM
  • I updated to version 1708 build 8431.2094 this morning and I still get prompted for username and password when I open an attachment.  
    Thursday, October 05, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Sorry, i tested in another computers and doesn`t work, so i need to revert to.

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8326.21

Thursday, October 05, 2017 3:37 PM
  • try swith from cached to online mode.

scientia potentia est
    My blog

Friday, October 06, 2017 1:10 PM
  • As far as we know this is not a known issue.  It seems like the issue started with Monthly Channel (formerly Current Channel) build 16.0.8431.2079 with on premise Exchange.  Or is anyone seeing it with Exchange Online?  Has anyone opened a support case for this issue yet? 

The workaround Gabriel posted is to revert Office to a prior build.  

Open a Command Prompt and run these commands:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8326.2107

More details on reverting in this KB, https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/2770432.
    Available versions of Office to revert are taken from this page, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

Friday, October 06, 2017 4:44 PM
  • Just wanted to confirm.

We have on premise Exchange 2016 and MS Outlook 1708, Build 8431.2079 is prompting us to enter credentials whenever we open any eMail attachment.

Saturday, October 07, 2017 3:12 PM
  • I am running Version 1708 Build 8431.2094 and on-premise Exchange 2010.  I am still experiencing the issue.  I have not opened a support case with MS but will attempt to do so on Monday.  
    • Edited by John_Guerra Saturday, October 07, 2017 8:09 PM
    Saturday, October 07, 2017 4:25 PM
  • I reverted back to Version 1707 Build 8326.2107 and the issue no longer exists.
    Saturday, October 07, 2017 8:09 PM
  • I can also confirm no recent builds fix this issue.  Had to revert as well. 
    Monday, October 09, 2017 2:22 PM
  • go to this link, it is fix for that issues: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-password-prompt-when-opening/873ba6d1-152f-4280-8495-60f4b61f522c?auth=1

• Proposed as answer by Katar83 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:58 PM
    Monday, October 09, 2017 4:27 PM
  • All four of our stations are Win 7.

When I try the suggested fix in Peter's link Outlook does not open at all.

John, do you still plan to open a case? If not, I will.

Thanks >> Joe

Monday, October 09, 2017 4:40 PM
  • I'm not going to have time to open a case with MS today.  If you are able to, I'd appreciate it.
    Monday, October 09, 2017 5:09 PM
  • I have submitted:

Support Request Number - 117100916464954

Will keep everyone posted.

Monday, October 09, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Spoke to an MS engineer. Nothing new that has not already been addressed in this thread, other than it is a known issue and the product team is working on it.

The only immediate solution is to roll back, just remember to disable updates or the problem will come back.

He indicated that Outlook is trying to "connect to an old Office 365 server", which would explain why entering credentials does not work.  I did not belabor the point or pursue a technical discussion.  It is just another reminder that no data is safe these days.

The engineer did not have a timeline for a fix.

Since we are a small group and gluttons for punishment we plan to live with the problem for now to see if an update is forthcoming in the near-term.

We'll post as soon as we have any further information.

Monday, October 09, 2017 10:31 PM
  • How did you roll back?

This seems to do nothing for me.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Does anyone know if there is a particular update(s) we can block / unauthorised on our WSUS server?

• Edited by phil552 Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Nomisdk,

In Outlook click File, Office Account and note what Channel you are on.  To make the command work you need to use a version that was released to that Channel.  See the links at the bottom that has the available versions.

If you are on Semi-annual/FRDC you could try this

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8201.2158

or

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8201.2171

For Monthly/Current Channel this is what was previously mentioned as working:

More details on reverting in this KB, https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/2770432.

Available versions of Office to revert are taken from this page, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 3:12 PM
  • I have a support case opened up with O365 regarding this issue - Case # 6510416

We have about 15 users with this issue. O365 accounts, On-Premise Exchange 2010. 

We tested a couple roll backs and while the prompts went away, apps like Excel and Word would not open documents any longer and would flat out crash. 

Waiting on a phone call from O365 now so they can verify it's doing it.

This was the other Microsoft Thread with info, but now of course it's showing it can't be reached.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-password-prompt-when-opening/873ba6d1-152f-4280-8495-60f4b61f522c

Thanks guys for stoking the fire on this one. It may be one of the more annoying things we've had happen lately.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:21 PM
  • Spent about two hours with a Tier 3 MS engineer this evening. He called us and asked if he could generate some diagnostic logs in Outlook and using Fiddler.

Clearly a lot of people affected.  They are trying to get a fix out by the end of the week but no promises.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:05 AM
  • I too have the issue with 1 client, If Outlook is trying to connect to a retired O365 server then can I block the IP of that server in my router??  A week is a long time to wait for this fix MS!!
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:05 PM
  • You can not just block the IP I don't think.  Not reaching the server (O365) is the same as prompting and denying when it's a Log on Session in Cred Manager.  

FYI folks, you just submitted all your passwords to an O365 server.  Change them all and put on your tin foils hats!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Same issue here - one client (happened to be the manager) is having this issue for the last few days - Exchange 2010 + Outlook 2016. Called MS and they asked me to open a paid ticket (~500$) to help them fix their bug!

They told me the I am the firs complaining with this issue so I wasted few hours reformatting the managers surface  with no success. Downgrading as suggested here fixes it for now.

• Edited by iavoo Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Hi all,

From the initial support cases the Escalation Engineer found that Outlook is prompting because REST calls fail for Focused Inbox.  After checking with the Outlook Team we have a bug being fixed that should address the issue.  In case any of you are using Insider builds the fix is currently flighted to 50% of users on Insider Slow which is currently on build 16.0.8528.2126.  

If the fix goes forward with no other issues and the schedule does not change the fix is currently targeted to release early next week to Current/Monthly Channel in major build 16.0.8528.xxxx.  There are some blocking bugs for that release so it might slip some but I will update as we get closer. 

This page lists the released builds in case you need this for reference later, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:49 PM
  • HI Gabriel, i updated to build 8528.2139 and I am still have the problem on my surface pro.  Is there another update coming up to fix this issue?  It is very distracting.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Hi all,

The issue has been documented in the following official article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230

Issue #2: [WORKAROUND] Outlook 2016 prompts for credentials when opening attachments

We may check the page above for the latest status of this problem and other known issues. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:15 AM
  • Yuki, is there a timeframe on when this issue will be resolved?  It is effecting all of our firms machines.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Some of our Outlook 2016 users are getting a prompt for login credentials when opening any email attachments. The attachments open with no problem and users can simply close out the prompt without entering anything. Then they can click the Need Password at the bottom right of the screen and it connects again. This only happens when opening an email attachment.

This is happening for several users, including myself. The users did not make any changes. The issue started on 9/26/17. I have tried quick repair, full online repair, install all windows updates, and all office updates. This is happening for all attachments and file types. This even happens when using the attachment preview feature within Outlook.

Hi All;

I fixed this issue “Outlook 2016 prompting for login credentials when opening any email attachment!

I hope this can help you guys too.  English is not my native language but I am trying to share! 

Here are the steps:

1.       Close your outlook

2.       Control Panel > Credential Manager

3.       Windows Credentials

4.       Located Generic Cerdentials: ***Note enter your email address that you use for Microsoft account!

Edit the user name and password of your outlook.office.com (Microsoft account)***

-          Internet or network address: outlook.office.com

User Name:  ch@******.com (enter your Microsoft account email, not your outlook from your local exchange.

Password: your Microsoft account password.

-          MicrosfotOffice16_Data:SSPL:ch@*****.com

• Edited by ChuongHuynh Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:39 AM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 11:54 PM
  • This did not work for me.

Please stop re-posting this as a solution!

If your solution worked for people, they would have Proposed it as an answer.

• Proposed as answer by Ron1esq Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ron1esq Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:51 AM
  • I went to insider build and now am on build 8613.1000. It looks like it has stopped the problem!!

Hooray!  You need to keep updating to get to that number.

• Proposed as answer by Ron1esq Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:45 AM
  • Sorry, I am didn't know that posted so many times!  Thank you for let me know.  This solution worked for all my 2016 version users.  If need I am willing to remote to take a look for you.  Have a great day!
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:25 AM
  • Sorry, I am didn't know that posted so many times!  Thank you for let me know.  This solution worked for all my 2016 version users.  If need I am willing to remote to take a look for you.  Have a great day!

Your supplied resolution is bogus for users that utilize on premesis Exchange and don't use Microsoft accounts. I pay a lot of money and put in a lot of time to keep our information secure and not going to the cloud. I have a strong feeling Microsoft is screwing this stuff up on purpose in order to try and push people to their cloud services and it's complete bullcrap that they are allowed to due this, didn't they get in trouble once before for monopolizing?

Microsoft breaks their software and don't implement a resolution swiftly, we're here 3 weeks into this and still no resolution! The work around is to go back in update levels? Well that isn't a resolution, for one it'll break my PCI DSS compliancy to go back 30 days past patch dates, but it also breaks the software as I get crashes with my office programs due to problems with the Upload Center, which again is something I don't want to use but Microsoft is forcing it..

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Yes, I agree with you!!!!!  We are waiting too long for them to release the fix for us. Have a great day!
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Hi, have we any idea on when the update is getting released?
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:25 PM
  • Have you looked into your company's autodiscover settings, external DNS configs, SPF settings?

I have seen several issues with Outlook 2016 where it prompts for strange authentication and fails, this sounds very similar and may be related to external autodiscover.xml issues.  

and the culprit is usually from the company's website autodiscover.xml file along with bad external DNS configurations.

run MXlookup, dnslookup, spf record lookup & a dns check at mxtoolbox.com & run the Microsoft Office Outlook Connectivity Tests for autodiscover at  https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ 

make any corrections and see if issue goes away

Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:05 PM
  • I have the same problem with dozens of Users we upgraded to Outlook 2016 - Microsoft is literally ignoring my demand for fix (trying to sell hosted every time I call) - have to assume my CEO is correct - time to find new Vendor for various products/services...
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:56 PM
  • hello

i found this, it work for me

my on-premise environment with Exchange2016 CU4 and Outlook Professional Plus 2016 Version 1709 Build 8528.2139 Klick- und Los (German Version in my case) i was able to workaround this issue by adding a new record in the hosts-file.

127.0.0.1    outlook.office.com

After adding this entry the password prompt was gone. I think this will cause problems if you are using office365. If not, it may be a global workaround to setup a new subdomain "outlook.office.com" in your dns. (Needs more testing)

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hi all,

Here is the latest status.  The fix has been enabled to Office Insiders and specifically to Monthly Channel (Targeted).  This used to be Insider Slow.  I posted an image of what it looks like below.  The fix is also in Monthly Channel but is not turned on there yet.  The Outlook Team is making sure it is a good fix before turning it on for production.  If you need to test and validate the fix in the meantime please switch to Monthly Channel (Targeted).  Also, if you switch you may find Focused Inbox becomes available.  If you don't want Focsed Inbox you can turn it off, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Configure-Focused-Inbox-for-everyone-in-your-organization-613a845c-4b71-41de-b331-acdcf5b6625d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

If you get a chance to test Monthly Channel (Targeted) and find any issues please let me know.  I'll post back when I know the fix will be turned on for Monthly Channel.  

• Proposed as answer by toffeemilkshake Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:36 PM
  • We too are having the same issue.  I have two computers out of about 20.  These two however are on MS Professional 2106, whereas the others are not.  And they are on this build: 1709:8528.2139.

I will attempt to roll them back and advise if it works.

Thanks for all the great info!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:31 PM
  • I have just switched from Monthly Channel to Monthly Channel (Targeted) to determine if the fix does resolve the password prompt when opening attachments.

Office has updated from 1709 8528.2139 to 1710 8625.2064, and I can confirm that this has indeed fixed the password prompt.

Ideally, I don't want to change my 25 users to the Targeted channel, so the sooner the update including the fix can be released to Monthly Channel the better.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:08 AM
  • I had the same issue with few users here, I can confirm that running ms office click to run in compatibility mode with windows 7 fixed the problem! 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-password-prompt-when-opening/873ba6d1-152f-4280-8495-60f4b61f522c?auth=1

• Proposed as answer by Katar83 Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Katar83 Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Katar83 Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:57 PM
  • I have the same issue with a couple of pc's, we have our own onsite exchange and kept noticing this address in the credential manager "office.outlook.com". For some reason it keeps trying to get credentials from that address.

To get around it, I just added a host entry for that address to point to the localhost, so far so good. band aid fix but at least my client isn't bugging me about it anymore.

Cheers

Friday, October 27, 2017 8:29 AM
  • I had the same issue with few users here, I can confirm that running ms office click to run in compatibility mode with windows 7 fixed the problem! 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-password-prompt-when-opening/873ba6d1-152f-4280-8495-60f4b61f522c?auth=1

This does not fix it for us.
    Friday, October 27, 2017 12:53 PM
  • I have just switched from Monthly Channel to Monthly Channel (Targeted) to determine if the fix does resolve the password prompt when opening attachments.

Office has updated from 1709 8528.2139 to 1710 8625.2064, and I can confirm that this has indeed fixed the password prompt.

Ideally, I don't want to change my 25 users to the Targeted channel, so the sooner the update including the fix can be released to Monthly Channel the better.

This does not fix it for us, it temporarily works for the same day(I't prompts for credentials once and if you close the box it goes away) but then next reboot and opening of office it ask's for credentials again..
    Friday, October 27, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hi all,

Just want to update that the root cause of the issue has been addressed with a flighting change from the service.  With that change implemented you do not need to use the revert to older build workaround anymore.  Thanks to Joe and others that helped test the changes locally before turning them on in the service.  

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:21 PM
  • What is a "flighting change"

I still have users with the issue - we are confirming version #s at this time.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi all,

Just want to update that the root cause of the issue has been addressed with a flighting change from the service.  With that change implemented you do not need to use the revert to older build workaround anymore.  Thanks to Joe and others that helped test the changes locally before turning them on in the service.  

Please explain what a "flighting change" is and any requirements for us to get access to it.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Another blog confirmed that they are seeing this fixed in Office version 1710.  Will the update come out this Tuesday for those of us using MSI installs of Office 2016 instead of O365/C2R?
    Sunday, November 05, 2017 8:24 PM
  • While this is fixed in the latest update, there's a new bug that has sprung up... So far haven't been able to find anything else on it... Spent FOREVER troubleshooting thinking it was my issue. I even migrated from Exchange 2013 to 2016 to see if it fixed it (LOL, nope)...

After deploying the latest update, the password prompt is fixed, however the system tray icon gets stuck on the "send and receive icon", and the connection status gets stuck on "saving synchronization log".

Posted about it here (with pics): https://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=1309

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:10 AM
  • That stuck systray icon is happening on my Office 2016 MSI install after yesterday's updates as well, so I'm hopeful that means that the credential-prompt-fixing changes from O365 1710 did in fact get rolled into the updates for the MSI installs.
    • Edited by ac513 Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:31 PM
  • That stuck systray icon is happening on my Office 2016 MSI install after yesterday's updates as well, so I'm hopeful that means that the credential-prompt-fixing changes from O365 1710 did in fact get rolled into the updates for the MSI installs.
    I'm just hoping all this stuff gets fixed up soon, and permanently... 
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:22 PM