none
Cannot move users from OCS 2007 R2 to Lync 2013: OBJECT NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

so we are currently in the process of migrating our current OCS 2007 R2 environment (yes it's old I know) to Lync 2013.

We implemented a Standard Edition Front End Server and ran the Merge Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Topology on the Topology Builder. 

Now I am able to see the legacy users on my Lync control panel. I tried migrating one test users from OCS to Lync and I got the error: 

Move-CsLegacyUser : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

With the force option it migrates the users without problems, however this is not an option since we want to migrate the users' contacts. 

I already found this blog online explaining a work around this issue:

http://www.wavecoreit.com/blog/serverconfig/move-cslegacyuser-object-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object/

Is there like a more actual fix/solution from Microsoft about this issue? This used to be easy, now it just got complicated because of something Microsoft broke with the interoperability.

Thank you.

Regards.

Eduardo R.

Eduardo Rojas

Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

can you check on the user object in AD that enable inheritance is on under security-advanced ?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent is checked.

Eduardo Rojas

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:20 AM
  • Hi Eduardo,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanks for your concern, however, I could not find any documents about this issue, so try to update OCS 2007R2 and Lync server 2013 to the latest, and manually clean up Active Directory OCS properties of legacy users. Please reser to the following link, it is Lync 2010 but similar to Lync server 2013:

https://valygreavu.com/2011/03/03/lync-server-2010-move-legacy-users-troubleshooting/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 8:57 AM