SSD Raid 0 or No Raid for Home Lab RRS feed

• Question

• Putting together a home lab which hope to run 15 or so virtual machines from.

Specs: 5820k 6 core processor

64gb ddr4

4 x 500gb SSD

I wouldn't use raid 0 in production but as its a home lab for testing, resiliency isn't important as worst case I can just create it again. I would rather get max performance with minimal cost.

Would I be better having no raid - 1 ssd for OS, and then 4 - 5 virtual machines on each SSD? or would I be better creating a raid 0 with the 4 500GB and using for host and VMs?

It appears trim is supported in raid 0 with the x99 motherboards and suppose always have the option of limiting storage iops for a particular VM is consuming too much?

Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:50 AM

Answers

• Personally I definitely wouldn't go down the RAID-0 route for this, not unless you really need a single large volume to store your VM's rather than splitting them across the disks.

Since you're talking about having multiple VM's running on there, if you plan things well then realistically (especially considering the spec you've listed) you're going to have more than one VM running at a time, and can split them across the SSD's to balance the Disk IO requirements, therefore negating more if not all of the performance benefit you would have seen from having RAID-0.

In addition, yes it's only a lab environment and you can re-build it, but that's still a lot of additional hassle. Having them as separate volumes lets you split that risk, so if one dies you've only lost a quarter of your data.

I'd go with keeping them as separate volumes, put the host OS only on the boot disk (and perhaps use the rest of the space for things like ISOs etc) and then split the VMs across the remaining three.

• Proposed as answer by Rfd41 Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by James Blaze Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:05 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:12 PM