none
Windows SharePoint Services (WSS 3.0) - SQL Server Express - Question

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know about using SQL Server 2005 Express with WSS 3.0.

I would like to know about storage limitation when using the SQL Express version.

I read about a 4GB limit.  So if I upload pictures and documents, thats all of the space I will have to use.

Any information would be great.

Thanks,

Mike
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:37 PM

Answers

• I started off by thinking that both answers your received are wrong BUT it very much depends if they are reading your question word for word or trying to interpret it and if so how. I.e. it might be the words you used which caused the problem for them.

Let's see the whole set of options for SQL Server 2005 and WSS 3.0.

1. WSS 3.0 installed with the Basic Installation or with the Advanced Installation followed by the Single Server option.

The SQL Server 2005 version installed is officially called the "Windows Internal Database". It is an embedded version of SQL Server 2005 Express.

That version - and only that version - of SQL Server 2005 Express does NOT have any limit (4GB or other) in the size of the database.

It is only installed in a single server version of WSS 3.0 and can not store any other databases than WSS 3.0 database and other "windows components" databases.

2. WSS 3.0 installed using the Advanced Installation followed by the Complete/Full option.

Here no database system is installed and you get the chance to select which database system WSS 3.0 will use.

a) Typically this is used with full SQL Server 2005 - NO limit in database size.

In this case the database system can be installed on another server than WSS 3.0 or on the same server.

b) Very rarely it could be used with a copy of the standard SQL Server 2005 Express - 4GB max size of database.

In that case the database system can be installed on another server than WSS 3.0 or on the same server.

The only advantages of having this on the same server is that you could use it for other non-WSS databases alongside the WSS databases which you can't with the Windows Internal Database version. This advantage doesn't outweight the 4GB limit.

So you are left with the ability to have the database system on a second server. Typically if you need the extra power that gives over a single server solution you will also need databases that are greater than 4GB.

So I think you were talking all along about the Windows Internal Database version of SQL Server 2005 Express and then as above there is NO limit in the database size.

Mike Walsh

and before one of the other gentlemen complains that there is a limit,  let me confirm that there IS a 4GB limit if you install *MOSS* using the Basic Installation.

But there is no such limit with WSS 3.0 and that is what you asked about.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    You will have few limitations with SQL Express:
  • Lack of enterprise features support
  • Limited to one CPU
  • One GB memory limit for the buffer pool
  • Databases have a 4 GB maximum size
  •  

You can review this document for additional info. 
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345154.aspx

Regards

Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I am currently investigating an upgrade from SQL Server Express to the full version.

Content databases are maxed out at 4GBs. You can keep adding additional databases but to different site collections.

For example, your site

http://internet, is held on a content database called WSS_Content_Internet.

You use different databases to store 1) MySite (if you're on MOSS) 2) Search Indexes.

If you have reached a 4GB limit, you can add a content database to the above site collection called WSS_Content_Internet2. You'll need to amend some settings in SQL to set the database max.

BUT, you will need to create a site collection using Central Administration, so it's almost like an extenstion of your original site:

http://internet/ site / name of your new collection.

By doing this, it will not take master pages from your main site, it's a brand new collection but with its own database.

I have to say it's a little bit of a nightmare if you've got a growing Intranet/Internet!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I started off by thinking that both answers your received are wrong BUT it very much depends if they are reading your question word for word or trying to interpret it and if so how. I.e. it might be the words you used which caused the problem for them.

Let's see the whole set of options for SQL Server 2005 and WSS 3.0.

1. WSS 3.0 installed with the Basic Installation or with the Advanced Installation followed by the Single Server option.

The SQL Server 2005 version installed is officially called the "Windows Internal Database". It is an embedded version of SQL Server 2005 Express.

That version - and only that version - of SQL Server 2005 Express does NOT have any limit (4GB or other) in the size of the database.

It is only installed in a single server version of WSS 3.0 and can not store any other databases than WSS 3.0 database and other "windows components" databases.

2. WSS 3.0 installed using the Advanced Installation followed by the Complete/Full option.

Here no database system is installed and you get the chance to select which database system WSS 3.0 will use.

a) Typically this is used with full SQL Server 2005 - NO limit in database size.

In this case the database system can be installed on another server than WSS 3.0 or on the same server.

b) Very rarely it could be used with a copy of the standard SQL Server 2005 Express - 4GB max size of database.

In that case the database system can be installed on another server than WSS 3.0 or on the same server.

The only advantages of having this on the same server is that you could use it for other non-WSS databases alongside the WSS databases which you can't with the Windows Internal Database version. This advantage doesn't outweight the 4GB limit.

So you are left with the ability to have the database system on a second server. Typically if you need the extra power that gives over a single server solution you will also need databases that are greater than 4GB.

So I think you were talking all along about the Windows Internal Database version of SQL Server 2005 Express and then as above there is NO limit in the database size.

Mike Walsh

and before one of the other gentlemen complains that there is a limit,  let me confirm that there IS a 4GB limit if you install *MOSS* using the Basic Installation.

But there is no such limit with WSS 3.0 and that is what you asked about.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:33 PM