none
Auto-fill a text field in a SharePoint list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working in a sharepoint  list where I have a column configured to single line text. This line field is used to complete a list with customer names.

Is there a way that when One starts typing the customer name, it will display or autofill options that match what the user is typing, if the customer already been create before.

This is different than a field lookup. As far as I understand, a field lookup will not allow you to add new data, but only use the existing information from the field is being looked at.

Thank you

Monday, November 16, 2015 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your requirement, I suggest you use Managed Metadata column in this list.

Users can select values from a specific term set of managed terms and apply them to content if you add Managed Metadata column to list. You can create a new term set with customer names, and map Managed Metadata column to the new term set.

Introduction to managed metadata in SharePoint Server 2010 for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-managed-metadata-in-SharePoint-Server-2010-b324aebd-67ab-45a8-933d-ceedb2d909ea

In the link above, it also contains how to configure managed metadata, you can follow the steps.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria XiaModerator Monday, December 7, 2015 3:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lrbkm Monday, December 7, 2015 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:57 AM

All replies