none
WSUS Role W2K8

Question

• Hi Guy's,

We have issues on one of our Downstream servers and I need to uninstall-reinstall the WSUS Role on a W2008 R2 box.

Can someone let me know what experiences they have had in completing this task and what I should be looking out for.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Guy's,

We have issues on one of our Downstream servers and I need to uninstall-reinstall the WSUS Role on a W2008 R2 box.

Can someone let me know what experiences they have had in completing this task and what I should be looking out for.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Why do you need to? What's the problems you're experiencing?

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:46 PM
  • Hi Adam,

We have a few BITS Binary files which for some reason appear to be different versions for the Operating System W2008 R2, (Compared to the five downstream W2008 R2 BITS Binary files). Also, this particular downstream server has given us a lot of GPO Problems. For example we have throttled down BITS during high peak times but the bandwidth is still consumed over the throttled down (99999) threshold, which is causing awful networking issues.

We have been advised to uninstall and reinstall the WSUS services Role.

Any information on how to achieve this would be very useful.

Regards.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:28 AM
  • In that case, I don't think a re-install will fix it, but you can always try as it's a dowstream server and it will just get all of it's approvals from the upstream so it's easy.

I assume it's using the Windows Internal Database?

1. Remove WSUS Role and the WID Role
    2. Remove the WSUS Content folder and it's root folder (normally C:\WSUS with C:\WSUS\WsusContent)
    3. Remove the C:\Windows\WID folder
    4. Make sure .NET 4.7 is not installed on the system - if it is, remove it for the install of WSUS - you can re-install it afterwards if you want to.
    5. Reboot
    6. Re-install WSUS/WID
    7. Run the Post Install and set it up as a replica downstream server.
    8. Once the server is fully synced with the upstream server, use my script to optimize WSUS and clean it, and keep it working for you, rather than against you.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Oh yea, and then use the following guide by Mike400 to configure the limiting of bandwidth during the day.

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/133819-use-gpo-to-limit-wsus-downloads-during-the-day

Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:36 AM
  • Hi Andy,

thanks for the reply.

We (Our Company) are already using your script and find it very good.

One question - would it be better to leave the WID, and IIS setup as is during the uninstall and reconnect them when I do the re-install. Just thinking it might be a lot easier than deleting both?

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

By the way - I am thinking of carrying out the WMI filtering before I uninstall the Role. I might even upgrade to W2013 as we have some W2013 and W2008 as part of the WSUS estate and I wanted to consolidate by upgrading all W2008 R2 boxes to W2013.

Thanks and Regards.

T

Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Hello, 

In my point of view, it would be better uninstall WID and IIS during uninstall, as you may encounter issue when reinstall WSUS without uninstalling them. And it is very quick to uninstall all of them. 

What is your needs for WMI filtering? As far as I know, there is no relation for uninstall and WMI filtering. 

As you have Windows 2012 server, it is better to install WSUS role on Windows 2012 server, so that you can push updates to Windows 10 clients. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply Yan.

It is going to be a separate project to upgrade the w2008 R2 boxes to W2012 which will be sometime in the new year. For now my priority is to sort out the BITS binaries anomilies and progress with a plan to sort out the upgrade strategy.

If I uninstall the WID and IIS does that mean that all the updates we have at present (on the server) will also be deleted as part of the uninstall of the WID. I guess it would be just a matter of reconnecting to the upstream server to get the updates applied again locally to the server?

Regards.

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Remove the SUSDB database completely, either manually, or by wiping out the WID Folder entirely. Attaching back a database that is pooched will only re-surface issues if anything was wrong with the WID database. Considering it's a downstream server, It's too easy to just wipe, install and let it sync everything from the upstream. Nothing else you have to do as it's a replica.

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks very much for the information, however, we don't have an issue (that I know of) with the Database or IIS. The issue is with BITS and I wondered whether it is necessary to remove the WID and IIS during the removal of the role?

Like you say its a downstream server and if the WID was deleted it would mean that I would have to download all the updates again?

Or is there another way around this other than deleting the WID?

Regards.

Peter.

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:15 PM
  • You can try. I've heard of people having success for reinstalling reusing the existing database, but be prepared for it not to work and have to re-download everything (from the upstream server).

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the information I will bear that in mind.

Also, do you know how we could get BITS reinstalled as it seems there are version issues on this downstream server.

Regards.

Peter.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the information I will bear that in mind.

Also, do you know how we could get BITS reinstalled as it seems there are version issues on this downstream server.

Regards.

Peter.

No idea on the BITS side of things. I've never had a problem, so I've never investigated that.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Ok no worries and thanks for the reply.

Speak soon.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:33 PM