none
Replacing original all in one exchange server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have exchange 2010 all in one without an Edge Server.  The HD is showing signs of failure so i want to move all these services to a new CAS Array and DAG.  I know how to set up the DAGs but was confused about the HT and CAS roles.  Currently the all in one also has lync 2010 integration which i want to move to the new array.  My question is how do i do all of this without interrupting the current setup until im ready to make the switch?  Currently i have port forwarding to my exchange server with 25 and 443 tcp ports pointing to it.  I will be creating a new exchange certificate using my internal enterprise root CA to point to the new outlook.xxxxx.net.  Currently my exchange cert is mail.xxxx.net with sub alternative of autodiscover.xxxx.net and mail.xxxx.net.  I dont want to mess with my current set up until im finished with this setup. i know my new cert should also have autodiscover.xxxx.net but would that mess with my current setup?  Do i install the same cert on the other CAS array member?  I now i have to point to the new RPC but i will wait till the end for that.  For lync integration, do i uninstall on the current all in one exchange server and install the components on both CAS array members? Do i install the HUB transport role on both CAS Array members and point the natted ip to the CAS array(SSL 443) and (SMTP 25) virtual IP?    I know this is a lot but if one of you can assist or point me to a guide i would really appreciate it. 

Thanks

Friday, February 28, 2014 3:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Build up and configure your new Exchange messaging platform for CAS Array, namespaces, certificates, end-point services such as OWA, OAB, autodiscover etc..., DAG.

Once this is done move a test mailbox on the new platform. You need to have the cert installed on all CAS.

ecsword

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:55 PM
  • thanks for the reply.  So by building this my current environment will not be harmed?  My internal namespace is the same as my external namespace.  Also, I will be using the Free HAPRoxy for Load Balancing as i have heard the windows one is not recommended.  For the certificate installation do i use the same certificate on both systems?  What about my current lync setup?

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Building up extra Exchange servers a new DAG, CAS Array within the same forest would not harm your existing configuration. Think of autodiscover and the ADsitescope for it, etc.. If the endpoint service URLs are exactly the same you can utilise the same cert.

WNLB is not recommend in Exchange 2010 but it's just a recommendation. It is fully supported and I  have seen customers implementing it. It's up to you. 

ecsword

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:24 PM
  • thanks for the update. So my router will have to do port forwarding(25 and 443) to the new cas array virtual ip right?
    Friday, February 28, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Your router should do the forwarding to the Internet facing CAS/CAS Array VIP.

ecsword

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:40 PM
  • thanks for all the help.  Any idea regarding Lync integration?
    Friday, February 28, 2014 6:51 PM
  • I'm not a Lync expert myself but UC clients and devices will only use the DNS-based discovery method as I know (unlike Outlook clients which use SCP).

The following links will help.

Prerequisites for Integrating Microsoft Lync Server 2013 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721919.aspx

Understanding and Troubleshooting Microsoft Exchange Server Integration (Microsoft_Lync_Server_2010_Understanding_Exchange_Integration)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=15668

hope these answers your questions.

ecsword

Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:04 PM
  • thanks for  the guides.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any updates? Have the issue been resolved? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If there is any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:45 AM
  • sorry about that.  All my issues have been resolved minus one thing.  So im using Zen Load Balancer on my cas array which also is part of a dag.  From time to time outlook pops up a certificate warning about trust. The message varies from time to time by listing one of my exchange servers and then the other one the next time.  All i do is hit yes to accept and it disappears and outlook works fine.  My exchange certificate is from my internal CA and it only list autodiscover and my mail.xxxxx.net that points to my cas array(external facing) virtual ip.  I was told my certificate does not need to have my internal mail servers name only my external which is why i think i get the certificate warning.  Can you verify or provide some guidance?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:00 PM