none
SharePoint Retention Policy question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my question has to do with retention policies and items where the data defining the retention policy changes.

I have a list that has a "Review By" date column.  The retention policy runs a workflow according to this date and continues to recur every 35 months.  My question is what happens when the retention policy starts and then the "Review By" date changes because somebody reviewed the item?  Does the recurrence policy "start over" when an item is changed?  Does the recurrence policy go off when the original policy was run?  I am trying to use the retention policy to notify people when documents need reviewed.  We will rarely delete a document, so after it is reviewed i need to restart the policy.  I think I could create a copy of the item and delete the original so it starts when the copy is created, but I would rather not if there is an easier way.  I hope this is enough info and is not too confusing.  Thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi mnielson169,

Thanks for your post.

When you create the retention policy based on the “Review By” column. then the policy will be run based on the column. If you change the field value in the column, the policy will be run based on the value.

There is an “Expiration policy” timer job, which will check which document should run the policy.

More information about the policy.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee557358.aspx

• Marked as answer by mnielson85 Monday, October 3, 2011 1:38 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:18 AM