none
Access 2010 - Wizards not working after installing SP1

Question

• Hi Folks,

After upgrading my Office 2010 64 bit to SP1, I've started Access and now I receive a series of errors related to the Wizards, making the software useless.

Here is what's happening (testing done in new files \ new db's):

Case 1 - Trying to insert a button in a form, while the "Use control wizards" option is activated

ERROR1: The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports. You should back up your database before attempting to open the database and delete the VBA project. To create a backup copy, click Cancel and then make a backup copy of your database. To open the database and delete the VBA project without creating a backup copy, click OK

if I click ok I get

ERROR 2: The code contains a syntax error, or a <DB_NAME> function you need is not available. If the syntax is correct, check the Control Wizards subkey or the Libraries key in the <DB_NAME> section of the windows registry to verify that the entries you need are listed and available. If the entries are correct, either you must correct the <DB_NAME> Utility Add-In, or the file acWzlib or this wizard has been disabled. To reenable this wizard, run <DB_NAME> or Microsoft Office Setup again to reinstall <DB_NAME>. Before you reinstall <DB_NAME>, delete the windows registry keys for the <DB_NAME> Utility Add-in and acWzlib.

Case 2 - Trying to insert a picture as button background (using the properties tab)

ERROR: "Microsoft Access can't start the wizard, builder or add-in"

What I did so far:

a) Checked the Wizard file (seemed ok - read \ edit permitted for all users)

b) Checked registry wizard entry (again - seems ok - no errors or bogus)

Right now I'm pretty desperate as I can't really use a lot of features. For the moment reinstall is not an option as I'm against a tight deadline. I would really appreciate any help \ support \ advice that can make this thing work.

P.S. - I forgot to mention that Access worked flawlessly before applying this SP1 - I'm really disappointed on how things turned out...

Cheers,

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

• Confirmed that this is applicable only for the 64bit version. After uninstalling the 64bit and installing the 32bit edition with SP1, I got no error and the wizards worked smoothly.

My take on this problem:

Fact 1: SP1 doesn't update the wizards (creation date remains the same after applying the SP)

Fact 2: The wizards are ACCDE files, compiled in the pre-SP1 Access

Fact 3:  Microsoft has advised in this KB that Access 64 SP1 won't open MDE, ACCDE or ADE files that were compiled pre-SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533794)

Hypothesis: When the user triggers a wizard, Access 64bit identifies it as a pre-SP1 compiled ACCDE file and refuses to execute it.

I don't have a problem not using the Form Wizards but I had a huge issue trying to insert a picture as a button background. It seems that the process is controlled by a wizard...

Based on my experience, I would suggest to remove the SP to avoid this issue until a hotfix \ patch is available.

BR,

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, July 04, 2011 4:59 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to post the behavior you are experiencing in regards to this SP1 wizard issue.  Microsoft is aware of the issue and it is currently being investigated.  If you are running into this issue, you can go through the steps in the following KB article to resolve it:

2581301 - Acc2010: You receive an error in Microsoft Access using the built-in wizards after installing Microsoft Office 2010 SP1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2581301

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem:-(

After upgrading my Office 2010 64 bit to SP1;

- I cannot import Excel files into an Access database

-> this results in the message:

->

ERROR1: The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports. You should back up your database before attempting to open the database and delete the VBA project. To create a backup copy, click Cancel and then make a backup copy of your database. To open the database and delete the VBA project without creating a backup copy, click OK

if I click ok I get

->

MS Access can´t find the wizard. Ect...

I have tried to add the wizard from the installation DVD but here it is marked as allready being installed! So no luck here.

Next step: Uninstall SP1 - I guess...!

-> Choose to uninstall Office 2010 SP1

->> Came up with an error after uninstalling!?

->> NOW the IMPORT Wizard works again!!!

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:05 AM
  • It seems to be related to the 64 bit version only. I've got the 32 bit version of Access 2010 with SP1 and I couldn't reproduce the problem. So if you have the chance to use the 32 bit version instead ...

Microsoft doesn't recommend the 64 bit version due to compatibility reasons: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:40 AM
  • I need to run the 64bit Office version due to large data amounts and driver issues in the hydraulic model software I use in my work.

So for now I will have to do without the SP1.

It looks like Access 2010 64bit is working normally after uninstalling SP1!

Friday, July 01, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Confirmed that this is applicable only for the 64bit version. After uninstalling the 64bit and installing the 32bit edition with SP1, I got no error and the wizards worked smoothly.

My take on this problem:

Fact 1: SP1 doesn't update the wizards (creation date remains the same after applying the SP)

Fact 3:  Microsoft has advised in this KB that Access 64 SP1 won't open MDE, ACCDE or ADE files that were compiled pre-SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533794)

Hypothesis: When the user triggers a wizard, Access 64bit identifies it as a pre-SP1 compiled ACCDE file and refuses to execute it.

I don't have a problem not using the Form Wizards but I had a huge issue trying to insert a picture as a button background. It seems that the process is controlled by a wizard...

Based on my experience, I would suggest to remove the SP to avoid this issue until a hotfix \ patch is available.

BR,

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, July 04, 2011 4:59 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Thanks, visingo, for discoverying this. It has saved a lot of waste of time here.  After SP1, Linked Table Manager stopped working.  Now everything is back to normal after uninstalling SP1.

Hong
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:41 AM

My take on this problem:

Exactly, therefore you can do the following :

1- Make sure Microsoft Access and Microsoft Visual Basic are closed.

2- Go to : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ACCWIZ.

3- Delete all the *.ACCDE files which are ACWZLIB.ACCDE; ACWZMAIN.ACCDE; ACWZTOOL.ACCDE

4- Running Microsoft Access again will create new files with SP1 compatibility.

Enjoy.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to post the behavior you are experiencing in regards to this SP1 wizard issue.  Microsoft is aware of the issue and it is currently being investigated.  If you are running into this issue, you can go through the steps in the following KB article to resolve it:

2581301 - Acc2010: You receive an error in Microsoft Access using the built-in wizards after installing Microsoft Office 2010 SP1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2581301

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:20 PM
  •  

I solved this issue on my x64 system by replacing

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7\VBE7.DLL

with the old (pre-sp1) version of the file.

Hope this helps.

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Fact 1: SP1 doesn't update the wizards (creation date remains the same after applying the SP

The creation dates of the files are not the same between RTM and SP1.

We have found on numerous test machines that the modified dates of the ACCWZMAIN.ACCDE and other related files on the RTM version of Office 2010 64-bit are 25/02/2010 11:06. The dates of the files with SP1 installed are 27/10/2010 23:23.

Following the KB provided by Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581301) did not work. We found that by reinstalling SP1 on machines, the files were then updated to the correct version and did not error when creating wizards etc.

Craig.

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

We are getting a different combo box error.  When we try to use the wizard to creat a combo box, we are getting this error: "You can only run one instance of the combo box wizard at a time"

We have Access 2010 64 bit with SP1 installed and we have chaged the file names as you suggested in the above mentioned article.  The form and report wizards work, but not the combo box wizards. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Chris.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:05 AM
  • I'm getting the same problem in 32bit
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Here is the link to resolve MS Access wizard issue in windows:       

http://answers-free.blogspot.in/2014/02/error-running-wizard-or-importing.html

Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:56 PM