none
Exchange 2013 & system logs => Disk getting full RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a "funny" issue with the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging" in my lab. It is growing out of proportion (about 4-5 Gigs after a really short time).

The data collector from Perfmon (ExchangeDiagnosticsDailyPerformanceLog & ExchangeDiagnosticsPerformanceLog) is the the main culprit and nothing seems to clean those data (nothing in Data Manager, ...).

What would the best way to cleanup this folder? I am thinking about:

gci "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging" -Directory | gci -File -Recurse | ? LastWriteTime -gt (Get-Date).AddDays(-14) | Remove-Item

But it might be a little too extreme

What's the good practice about those logs? How would you take care of those?

Thanks

• Edited by FuN_KeY Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:44 PM
    Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

I configured the Data Manager, but it is not working as expected. If I restart the server, the configuration of the Data Manager resets itself and the data are not purged anymore.

Then, for the logs, I am using a scheduled task for the cleanup (a little less extreme as it only target logs):

gci 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging','C:\inetpub\logs' -Directory | gci -Include '*.log','*.blg' -Recurse | ? LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-14) | Remove-Item

I do hope it will be OK that way

• Edited by FuN_KeY Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, December 28, 2012 2:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi FuN_KeY,

Please try to disable the tasks in the Task Scheduler.

Similar post, please see:

Exchange 2013 Performance Monitor Data Collector Sets

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/7ebf4e2e-dd6e-47da-92b7-141708f52cf2

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you for your answer. It might be a solution, but I'd rather keep the logs for a defined time frame (2 weeks, 3 months, ...) and then whipe those.

Having the data is useful, I just want to make sure the disk won't fill itself endlessly.

Monday, December 24, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi FuN KeY,

Please try to set the Data Manager/Folder Action as the Technet document said:

Manage Data in Windows Performance Monitor

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765998.aspx

Frank Wang

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Hi Frank,

I configured the Data Manager, but it is not working as expected. If I restart the server, the configuration of the Data Manager resets itself and the data are not purged anymore.

Then, for the logs, I am using a scheduled task for the cleanup (a little less extreme as it only target logs):

gci 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging','C:\inetpub\logs' -Directory | gci -Include '*.log','*.blg' -Recurse | ? LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-14) | Remove-Item

• Edited by FuN_KeY Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, December 28, 2012 2:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Having the exact same issue, seems to be another broke / misconfigured thing in EX2013...

It boggles the mind as to why they would enable all this by default.

• Edited by Troy12n Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:41 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Hi FuN KeY,

Please try to set the Data Manager/Folder Action as the Technet document said:

Manage Data in Windows Performance Monitor

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765998.aspx

Frank Wang

This is NOT working as it should.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I had a drive fill up and dismount a database because of this over the weekend...

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hi Frank,

This is 2013, we shouldnt have to be doing stuff like this and restarting the transport service every few hours to keep Exchange running. What on earth is going on here?
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:05 PM
  • As a workaround that actually seems to work, I employed the Junction utility from SysInternals.

I stopped the Exchange Diagnostics service and the data collector sets, then created junctions to replace the default logging folders to folders on a separate volume that had more free space.  So far it's working perfectly and my C:\ drive free space has stopped dropping like a rock.

Somehow, using Microsoft's own technology to circumvent its own shortsitedness is supremely gratifying.

Monday, July 15, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Hi Frank,

your command is wrong. the right way is: gci ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging’,’C:\inetpub\logs’ -Recurse -Include ‘*.log’,‘*.blg’ | ? LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-14) | Remove-Item
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:51 PM