none
incoming email does not work? RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262947.aspx to configure incoming emails in a basic scenario.

Checked both incoming and outgoing email services are running on sharepoint farm; also SMTP (outgoing is working) and sharepoint foundation web app service are also running.

then configure the document library to enable incoming email.

The only spot I am not sure is the step #6: In the Incoming E-Mail Server Display Address section, in the E-mail server display address box, type a display name for the email server, for example, mail.fabrikam.com.

what I should play? I tried my exchange server, sharepoint server name?

if this does not matter, what should I do?

the error from outlook is: The recipient e-mail system can't process this message now. Please try resending the message later

thanks,

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:13 PM

Answers

• Yeah I just went and looked at settings, the server display name is the domain named used for the e-mail groups, usually the smtp server name.domain.org but it can be whatever you make your domain name. I use the server name with fully qualified dns to make it easier, the tricky part is getting your exchange server to route to it using a connector and what not.
    • Marked as answer by Guangming Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 7:37 PM

All replies

• How did you configure your setup? When I setup incoming I install SMTP service on the front end web servers and have my exchange server forward to that smtp service and have SharePoint scan the directories local.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Make sure your drop folder has been given the proper security on the folder security so your app pool can access the folder to retrieve the messages. Also make sure messages are coming into the drop folder, when you send a test to any e-mail message configured to go there you should see an .eml file in the drop folder. SharePoint scans this folder, picks up the .eml file, looks at the to: address and then moves it to the appropriate document library. If no match found it removes it.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 6:52 PM
  • figured it out: email server should be set as the one when configuring SMTP server.

thanks

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Yeah I just went and looked at settings, the server display name is the domain named used for the e-mail groups, usually the smtp server name.domain.org but it can be whatever you make your domain name. I use the server name with fully qualified dns to make it easier, the tricky part is getting your exchange server to route to it using a connector and what not.
    • Marked as answer by Guangming Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 7:37 PM
  • The document makes you feel you can put any name there. A little bit more indicating smtp server name will be more helpful. This is probably true for someone like me not knowing too much on this side.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:57 PM