none
SharePoint List RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

<o:p>Can anyone help with the following:</o:p>

I have a basic SharePoint List that acts as a staff directory. I created the list and all the items, but as a staff member I am also in the list. When a user searches the list it filters to the correct staff member however, if someone searches for my name it shows all users. <o:p></o:p>

Is this because I created the list items? And therefore my name is associated with everyone via the created by or modified field? If this is the case is there any way around this.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Many thanks<o:p></o:p>

Kieran<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:53 PM

All replies

• how exactly users perform search? Do they use standard Sharepoint search and KQL? If yes try to use more specific query against field name which contains user name, e.g.:

Author:"John Smith"

See Keyword Query Language (KQL) syntax reference for details.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:19 PM
  • Hi Kieran,

By default, the “Created By” and “Modified By” are mapped to the “ows_Created_0x0020_By” and “ows_Modified_0x0020_By” crawled properties. 

To exclude “Created By” and “Modified By” from list search results, you can try to open the “ows_Created_x0020_By” crawled property and “ows_Modified_0x0020_By” created property (Central Administration > Manage service applications  > Search Service application > Search schema > Crawled properties), then uncheck the box “Include in full-text index”. Reset the index and do a full crawl. After the crawl is finished, “Created By” and “Modified By” columns are unsearchable. But users still can search them using managed properties (<managed property>:<value>).

Read the following article about what makes a SharePoint column searchable:

http://www.techmikael.com/2014/07/what-makes-sharepoint-column-searchable.html

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Great, thank for this information.

Friday, March 9, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad that information help you.

Please mark it as the answer if the issue is resolved. It will help others who meet the same issue in this forum.

Thanks,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Hi Kieran,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Please mark it as the answer if the issue is helpful to help others who meet the same issue in this forum.

Thanks,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:48 AM