none
August 2015 CU - List attachments give "File names can't contain the following characters:" message

Question

• After installing the August 2015 CU's, all sites in all web applications in the farm running on the SharePoint 2013 user interface have the following issue:

Any type of list with attachments allowed > Add or edit list item > Add attachment (in ribbon) > Successfully browse and select any file to attach > Click OK to add the attachment to the list item

A pop up stating “File names can’t contain the following characters:  & “ ? < > # {} % ~ ?/\.” is displayed.

These same steps work correctly in the same farm for sites using the SharePoint 2010 interface - this only seems to affect 2013 sites.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Adrienne,

Have you run SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on each SharePoint server in the farm after installing August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013?

If no, please run Products Configuration Wizard first and then check if the issue still occurs.

If yes, I recommend to check the detailed error message in ULS log for further research.
    For SharePoint 2013, by default, ULS log is at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS.

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, Victoria.

I have indeed run psconfig on each of the servers, and attempted to investigate the logs.  Any suggestions for particular errors to look for in the logs?  As any SharePoint admin knows - there is an abundance of information in the ULS logs, but is often like looking for a needle in a haystack.  :)

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:19 PM
  • I can duplicate this. Looks like a problem with the Aug CU.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Opened PSS case #115081813053167.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Trevor!
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Workaround is available here:

http://thesharepointfarm.com/2015/08/august-2015-cu-error-file-names-cant-contain-the-following-characters/

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:56 PM
  • FYI it has been confirmed to be a bug, and I've updated the blog post with the current official workaround from Microsoft.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Has any of the SharePoint server updates for September released address this or will the cumulative update ultimately fix this issue?
    • Edited by Brad1326 Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:13 PM
  • It is not fixed in September 2015.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Well that certainly puts a damper on things, another workaround is to use Firefox to access the list as well.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2015 7:55 PM
  • Has the official cumulative update for September been released?  I have been following the blog below and it looks as though these are just fixes and not a CU.  We were planning on releasing SP2013 at the end of the month, now im being backed into a corner where I may need to redo the install and apply only up until the July CU if users can't live with the workaround.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/09/08/september-2015-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-is-available-for-download.aspx

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:02 PM
  • There is no uber CU for Sept 2015, but instead a series of patches. Go to http://sharepointupdates.com/Patches and search for "4753" to see them.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:05 PM
  • Has the official cumulative update for September been released?  I have been following the blog below and it looks as though these are just fixes and not a CU.  We were planning on releasing SP2013 at the end of the month, now im being backed into a corner where I may need to redo the install and apply only up until the July CU if users can't live with the workaround.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/09/08/september-2015-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-is-available-for-download.aspx

The September patches are CUs in that they are the culmination of all of the fixes for individual components in SharePoint. Just like most months are. Unlike most other months they are not packaged as an "Uber" patch. An Uber patch contains the latest fixes for every component in SharePoint, whether or not something was fixed between the August CU and the September CU.

The content of the patches and feature enhancements are the same. I have a list of all the patches at http://www.toddklindt.com/sp2013builds and a wiki with notes on the September 2015 CU at http://www.toddklindt.com/SP2013Sep2015cu

tk

SharePoint MVP My blog My SharePoint 2010 Admin book: Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Hi Todd,

Thank you for this and I have come across your site in my adventures!  I was really hoping these updates would have addressed this issue, but I guess we will have to live with it for another month.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Hi guys,

I've written a script which implements the the workaround, it can be found here Fix-SP2013Aug2015Regression.ps1

Cheers,
    Ivan

Softlanding.ca
    AutoSPInstallerGUI

Monday, September 14, 2015 7:09 PM
  • You should implement a backup process in that script. Files that are modified will not be updated when a fix is released.

Trevor Seward

Monday, September 14, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Both files are backed up see comment "# Backup File".

Thanks,

Ivan 

http://softlanding.ca

http://AutoSPInstaller.com

• Edited by Ivan Josipovic Monday, September 14, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sukhwinder_ Friday, September 18, 2015 10:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sukhwinder_ Friday, September 18, 2015 10:25 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi Adrienne,

Just to clarify that this issue is not due to August 2015 CU but because of one SharePoint Security Patch i.e., kb3085501. We are facing the same issue on our environment where as we are not on August 2015 CU. But we have only couple of SharePoint Security Updates applied including KB3085501.

Friday, September 18, 2015 10:31 AM
  • Hi Adrienne,

Just to clarify that this issue is not due to August 2015 CU but because of one SharePoint Security Patch i.e., kb3085501. We are facing the same issue on our environment where as we are not on August 2015 CU. But we have only couple of SharePoint Security Updates applied including KB3085501.

Friday, September 18, 2015 10:33 AM
  • Thank you, we had this issue, fix not tested yet but looks sound. We did not apply the August CU yet.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:27 PM
  • we did not apply the august CU either, but do sp security updates, and are also seeing this. Just confirmation - thanks for posting!
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:32 PM
  • The CUs contain the security fixes, so this isn't much of a surprise.

Trevor Seward

Friday, September 18, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Nothing released to fix it.  We had to call Microsoft support and get a workaround from them.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Confirmed here too. KB3085501 is the culprit.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Just fyi, in my DEV farm I just jumped from the May 2015 CU to the September 2015 CU for SP2015 (with no other updates between) and am now seeing this problem. Confirmed that I do not have kb3085501 installed.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Yes, the issue carried over from the Aug patches to Sept.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 10:26 PM
  • You should implement a backup process in that script. Files that are modified will not be updated when a fix is released.

Does that mean if i run the script, i have to remeber to revert the _bak files before i do any other updates? That is not ideal.

thanks for the script though. We had this issue with chrome. My firefox works fine to upload files still.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Reported as one of the fixed issues in the October 2015 CU.

"You cannot attach any files to list items in a SharePoint Server 2013 site. The operation fails, and you receive with a message that states that the path contains invalid characters."

tk

SharePoint MVP My blog My SharePoint 2010 Admin book: Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration

• Proposed as answer by C. T. Haun Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Yep, validated it was fixed in Oct.

Trevor Seward

• Proposed as answer by C. T. Haun Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:41 AM
  • The October 2015 CU for SP2015 seems to have fixed the "can't attach to a list item" problem for me.  I think it is worth noting that the September 2015 CU seems to have introduced it into my test environment.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:05 PM
  • I'm far from implementing whole Oct '15 CU just to fix this. Do you know which individual patch from Oct '15 CU solve this issue?
    Monday, October 19, 2015 10:58 AM
  • You can find it in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3085582.

Trevor Seward

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:42 PM
  • FYI the recommended fix did resolve the issue.

I used to be an adventurer too, until I took an arrow to the knee.

Monday, January 04, 2016 7:41 PM