none
Office 2010 Activation

Question

• I have about 300 PC's on my network xp and win7 all joined to the 2008 R2 domain.  I setup an image with office 2010 installed and activated with a MAK key.  I pushed the image out to all my clients last week.  Now when a user opens an Office product Office tells them there has been a hardware change and they need to activate it.  When they click on the Next button to proceed to activate a message box opens and tells them that only administrators can perform this action.  When I login as an administrator / open and office product / I get the activation window / I click next and it activates within a few seconds. 

What are my options to activate Office on each pc?  I do not want to go to each pc, login as admin, and activate.  That would take me two-three full days.  I should have used a KMS server, but I think it's too late.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can use a script to activate all of the machines.

cscript ospp.vbs /act <computername>

Details here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624350.aspx

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Thanks Arposh!  Can I run this script from any pc?  Does the pc have to have office 2010 installed?  Could this be a startup script for each pc in GP?  A logon script won't work since the user has to have admin rights to activate Office. 
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Also can I enter multiple computer names?  If so what would I use as a separator?  Sorry for all the questions.  I'm not close to any of these machines to test and I want to tackle this first thing tomorrow.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:02 AM
  • You would have to make a computer startup script (as they run in system context) and use this command:

cscript ospp.vbs /act

If you wanted to run the script remotely against multiple computers, you could always create one batch file and make multiple lines in it

cscript ospp.vbs /act <computername1>
    cscript ospp.vbs /act <computername2>
    cscript ospp.vbs /act <computername3>

Sorry there is not a more elegant answer for MAK keys.  Microsoft recommends KMS keys to avoid issues such as this.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:19 AM
  • You could also download Mircrosoft's Volume Activation Tool and after installing it check this video for how to use it

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/08/06/managing-office-2010-activations-using-the-volume-activation-management-tool-vamt-2-0.aspx

Links for downloading the tool are on the same page.

Regards, ~G MCSE, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:05 AM
  • I added the command as a startup script.  Does everything look right in the image below? What else do I need to do?  Do I need to add the ospp.vbs script to my domain controller where it says "Show Files" in the image below. 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I'm getting closer.  I put the OSPP.VBS in the script directory on the domain controller and changed the Name filed in the image above to OSPP.VBS. 

Now when an XP client computer boots while it runs startup scripts I get the following error:

"Unable to perform operation. OSPP.VBS requires the cscript engine." 

What doesn't have the cscript engine - the domain controller or the client pc?  I am able to run cscript ospp.vbs /act on a client pc when I'm sitting in front of it and Office 2010 activates.  This makes me think the issue is with the DC.  How do I fix this?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:56 PM
  • After setting cscript to be the default host by using the following command: 

cscript //h:cscript
    I then reboot the computer.  When the machine boots and Windows runs the startup scripts an error box opens:
    Unsupported Command Passed.

I'm pulling my hair out!!!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:19 PM
  • have you tried the Volume Activation tool from Microsoft

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/08/06/managing-office-2010-activations-using-the-volume-activation-management-tool-vamt-2-0.aspx

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:47 PM
  • If I have a KMS server setup can I put VAMT on it also?  Is it better to put vamt on a seperate server?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Yes, but it doesnt necessarily need to be installed on a server.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Okay.  It's installed.  I added my MAK product key.  I added a inbound firewall exception in GP and I am able to connect to my win7 clients and activate.  I don't believe that Firewall setting in GP works for XP machines because their status in VAMT says unable to connect to the WMI service. 

Now I think my only issue is getting wmi firewall exception opened for xp clients.  Would you happen to know how to do that?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Yeah!!!!!  It's working - Office 2010 Activation for XP and Win7 clients!  Thanks so much Gandalf50 and Arposh!  I can go home now!
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:42 PM