none
Remove Quick Delete button in Outlook 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I've asked this here, but how do I remove the Quick Delete button in the Outlook view, but retain the Flag Status column?

They seem to share the same column.

Thanks.

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:57 AM

All replies

• Yes, this is hard code and we cannot hide it through built-in function. Some users complain that the Quick Delete button is often touched and delete the message mistaken whatever in PC or Surface device.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, March 25, 2013 3:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peter_D503 Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:08 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:10 AM
  • It is and I've given you a helpful vote-up, but it's not an answer - I'd like a fix! :)
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:28 AM
  • There is no official update for this so far. Hope it can be improved in next service pack release.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up Tony.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:03 AM
  • Any update Tony?
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:04 AM
  • I'd also like a fix. This is a very dangerous bug, accidentally deleting without confirmation is unacceptable.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:21 PM
  • I agree. I accidentally delete messages all the time. Part of the problem is that the delete button is so close to the flag button that it's easy to hit the wrong one. Either get rid of the button altogether -- older versions of Outlook handled this just fine -- or ask for a confirmation before deleting. The number of keystrokes is the same each way, so it doesn't matter.
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Ideally the Flag and Delete buttons are separate columns.
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Any update Tony?

Thanks.

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:15 AM
  • For some reason, my button has disappeared. How to get it back?

http://www.wp7.nl

Monday, September 30, 2013 9:16 AM
  • My button has also disappeared and I would like to get it back
    Monday, September 30, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Same here - has some update removed this?

I would like to get it back too

Ian

Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Control - z will undo the accidental click.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:17 PM
  • This is my monthly post asking for an update on this issue. Tony?
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:51 AM
  • IS there an update? i keep deleting emails without getting any sort of alert. Please fix asap
    Monday, November 11, 2013 2:01 PM
  • I missed last month, but this is my Monthly bump to get this issue fixed. Tony?
    Monday, January 20, 2014 2:04 AM
  • We're at the end of March and have had SP1, what news on the Quick Delete button Tony?

(Oh yes, this my 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY of my post DING DING DING DING)

• Edited by Peter_D503 Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:49 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:07 AM
  • The best assistance would be a fix. That button makes me nervous as I use the flag column regularly. Far too easy to hit that quick delete button. 
    Friday, April 4, 2014 3:14 PM
  • I just got asked from one of my users who is using flags a lot, he deleted several emails by mistake.

Removing this "mouse over delete" button would help a lot and/or the possibility to move the flag column.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:38 AM
  • this background is gray.

Any update on this?  Just got this software and this is a bit of a thorn in my side. 
    Monday, May 19, 2014 10:29 PM
  • if you enable touch mode, the delete button is removed from the message list and a touch bar is added to the right side of the reading pane. its less than useful with a mouse, but great on touch devices.  (I don't see the button being removed.)

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

• Proposed as answer by Anthronix Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:00 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 8:48 PM
  • Any update? Asking for a Fiend. 
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Just bumping my post... accidentally deleted another email when I wanted to flag it. The delete key does wonders, I don't need the black X. 
    • Edited by Peter_D503 Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:01 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Just upgraded to Outlook 365, and while this X delete function is a great idea, I'm stunned that it can't be removed, like you can with the dozens of other fields. The trackpad on my Windows 8.1 machine sometimes clicks while I'm in the process of moving the cursor, and losing an email into the trash--then opening the trashing and wading through them all to find the one I just deleted--is a huge pain.

So here's my voice, too, asking for this to be optional.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Also just updated to Outlook 2013 and find this to be a seriously upsetting feature. Can't believe the longevity of this post and still no answer...alas!
    Monday, September 1, 2014 3:54 PM
  • I can't comment on touch but with a mouse the only option this leaves us is to turn off the flag status column and forces every one who uses flags to right click or remember key commands.

If there is always a delete X on the far right, I can live with that...

What's really a problem is that if you alter the view setting > column order and try to move flag status anywhere else that isn't 5 pixels away from the delete X  it  always stays on the far right and it ignores the column settings

that seems like a bug to me.

I mean being able to customize for ones needs/taste is one the many things that makes outlook awesome, why take that away?

not to mention this one should be pretty obvious as risky.

i.e. oh this message is important, let me flag it and get back to it, oh crap i deleted it, arrg i'm using imap email like gmail on my non work profile, hitting ctrl + z doesn't really undo a delete ...sure you can manually find in the trash, but I wouldn't label that as a "awesome/helpful UI experience" more like, terrifying you for a few seconds UI. Even worse, if you are in hurry, you might not notice you've deleted it.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:59 PM
  • *bump*
    Friday, September 19, 2014 1:53 AM
  • I agree it would be nice to have the option to remove the delete button, or have flag and delete as separate columns or have a confirmation before the delete occurs. With exchange I find crtl-z does not always work as there are sync issues and it just gives an error message.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:45 AM
  • I swear, Microsoft must see this as an answered thread and thinks the issue is resolved. I managed to stay away from Outlook 2013 for the longest time but had recently been "upgraded" to it. How is it that Microsoft misses such a glaring interface issue and gets away with it? If it were anybody else the issue would have been fixed within days, possibly weeks at most, or the company would be losing users in droves. This is what happens when big companies like Microsoft gets too much clout with big segments of the market.

I would like to add my voice to those who thinks this is a major problem. I would also flag this thread a hundred times to draw Microsoft's attention if Microsoft ever bothers to pay attention. Oh wait, I forgot, flagging = deleting when you use Outlook.

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:15 PM
  • The best answer I've seen is to turn on touch mode instead of mouse mode. This gives you buttons on the right side of your screen, but unlinks the delete x from the flag! Seems to work for me so far.

This link has screenshots: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/2013/outlook-2013-touch-screen-mode/

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:51 AM
  • Had the issue again this morning. It's still annoying, even 18 months later. 
    • Edited by Peter_D503 Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:08 AM
  • Where does the email go?  I can't find it in deleted or trash folders!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Sorry Regina, I don't know - should go to deleted items - do you have multiple Deleted Item folders/accounts?

Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:02 AM
  • I'd also like a fix. This is a very dangerous bug, accidentally deleting without confirmation is unacceptable.

STRONGLY AGREE - the DELETE button is REALLY WRONGLY positioned - and there MUST be a feature to disable it at least on the level of "VIEW creations/adjustment".

FLAGS - often used function for me. Strange that on iOS Outlook 2013 there is no COMPLETE FLAG option as on my LUMIA WP8 device (both using the same corporate exchange).

CATEGORIES - on the iOS/Android  Office 2013 and Windows Phone this feature is missing. as I receive lots of email I would appreciate it.

FYI: I use OUtlook 2013 for its combo feature of Email/Contacts/Calendar rather than e.g. on iOS the 'separate' programs. but in Appl.e's EMAIL the swipe functionality is truly better than 2 option swipe on Outlook. would need some fine tuning to be done MS:)

BR,

m

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:49 AM
  • I think we're due for an update on this issue! 2 Year Anniversary! :)
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:39 AM
  • I really don't understand Microsoft's stupid philosophies.

I actually thought I found a solution: Apparently, the secret delete button is not attached to the Flag column but always to the right-most column. So I introduced a custom column called 'Delete' and wanted to move it right-most...

Would have been too easy of course. It's not possible to put any column right of the Flag column!

By the way, is there an 'Undo delete' function anywhere? Or do I really have to:

1. Go to the 'Deleted Items' Folder

2. Select the deleted mail

3. Right-click to open context menu

4. Go to 'Move'

5. Select 'Inbox'

???

Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:26 PM
  • This is very good to know. I didn't think to try this.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:41 PM
  • I use a Reading Pane to the right side of the message window, so I just slid the Reading Pane window a little to the left to cover up the "quick delete X" icon.  The message window now has a scroll bar at the bottom, but I get a little more space in the Reading Pane and don't accidentally hit the Quick Delete button.  Hope this helps-
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:59 PM
  • We've just upgraded to Outlook 2013 and I've immediately discovered this issue - and I can't believe this discussion has been going on for so long with no resolution!  This is a shockingly poor bit of design and I'm amazed it was ever designed this way in the first place to be honest.

Microsoft you really need to sort this out please.

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:21 AM
  • *bump*
    Monday, August 3, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Simply do the following;

1. Get MFCMAPI . If you have 64 bit office, you need 64 bit MFCMAPI.
    2. Open MFCMAPI, go to Session, Logon
    3. Select your profile
    4. Double-click on the affected data store.
    5. Expand Root - Mailbox
    6. Expand Top of Information Store or IPM_Subtree
    7. Select Inbox
    8. Look for PR_CONTAINER_CLASS in the right pane, double-click on it.
      edit the folder properties
    9. Change IPF.Note to IPF.IMAP then click OK to close the dialog.
      change the container class to ipf.note
    10. Repeat for each folder that was exported from an IMAP data file.
    11. When you are finished, close the MFCMAPI window, click Session, Logoff on the last MFCMAPI window.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Senior Exchange|Lync Administrator

Blog: Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by Afaf Ashraf Monday, August 3, 2015 1:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Peter_D503 Monday, September 7, 2015 7:05 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 11:02 AM
  • this is so annoying, i have just upgraded to office 2013 and already 2 very annoying stuff

- delete near the flag message ( outlook ) 

- very very very bright white themes

@Tony Chen any suggestion to solve the problem with the delete problem ? 

ty

• Proposed as answer by ChrisTownsend Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ChrisTownsend Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:52 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Is this a solution to the x delete button ?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Yes Marcus, I wondered that too. I have no idea what Mahmoud's answer is supposed to be about?!
    Monday, September 7, 2015 7:05 AM
  • Microsoft, please allow us to optionally disable the quick delete.  It is likely not a complex fix.  It is a frustrating user experience.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:53 PM
  • I was recently upgraded to Outlook 2013 in the office.

Because of the way I select mails on the screen, I often find my mouse on the right hand side of the window. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was removing e-mails willy nilly.

I delete a few hundred e-mails every day. Having to go into the Deleted Items and hunt down which e-mails I wish to recover is a monumental waste of time. This is an incredibly stupid design flaw, and it's about time that somebody at MS took this seriously and, at the bare minimum, introduced an option to remove the Black X of Death. There's a delete button. There's a delete key.
    We don't need dangerous added extras like this, and most of the people here are complaining about this issue.
    Make it stop.  :(

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:14 AM
  • @Microsoft: please let us remove the X-(delete)-Button.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:27 AM
  • Please add a method to remove this button, without switching to Touch Mode.  This is ludicrous.
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:43 PM
  • I totally support all people that this button is ridiculously stupid. I delete so much important letters with it by mistake. To say more - there is no quick restore button. To restore letters you have to choose a folder. 
    • Proposed as answer by ThePlenkov Friday, November 13, 2015 1:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ThePlenkov Friday, November 13, 2015 1:42 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Guys, try this. It helps in some way.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/2013/outlook-2013-touch-screen-mode/

• Proposed as answer by ThePlenkov Friday, November 13, 2015 1:43 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I hate this button. It is driving several staff members bonkers. A computer mouse frequently makes little quirky moves almost on its own.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:53 PM
  • It seems the button can't be removed, but to avoid accidental clicks, you can just use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

The 'Insert' key will toggle the flag, it's just perfect.

Add a Quick Flag to an unopened message.    Insert

Also,

Display the Flag for Follow Up dialog box.  Ctrl+Shift+G

https://support.office.com/en-au/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-for-Microsoft-Outlook-2013-and-2016-3e1090f6-a616-42db-abf5-269ca3d553ee

Cheers

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:36 PM
  • When you add dangerous features like these (especially ones that consume valuable space in the UI), you need to add an option to disable it as well. The problem with switching to the "Touch" version of the app is that I'm not using a touch device and the display is optimized for touch use. This means that enabling that option will mean that the developers (rightfully so) will then incorporate other touch-related optimizations, which is fine -- if you're using touch.

Sure, it addresses this one issue, but creates a plethora of other issues relating to the fact that it's a broad sweeping change to not only Outlook, but the UI of entire Office suite if you toggle that option. Now Word is in "Touch" mode. That is not a suitable fix!

Asking people to "just use the keyboard" is also completely aside from the point. Nobody is going to use only their keyboard (instead of their mouse) simply to avoid accidentally hitting the delete icon which now consumes (now blank) space. That is also not a suitable fix.

• Edited by chunk_split Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:23 PM
  • I would like to add my name to the list of people who wish some sort of resolution on this.  Preferably, one could remove the "Quick Delete".  However, even just the ability to move it would help.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:21 PM
  • found a solution :

Go to:  View > View Settings > Other Settings > remove tick from 'Automatic Column Sizing' 

You can now adjust the Flag column to such a size where the 'X - delete' button is hidden/out of reach.

• Proposed as answer by RexWest123 Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:59 AM
  • This doesn't work for me (office 2016) - clicking on the flag on the left side of the column then actually does the delete!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:42 AM
  • This is the only answer that is even close to acceptable.

Thanks for this Rex.

Putting the delete button so close to the flag causes accidental deletes.

I would like to know who is in charge of this?

What is the name of the guy at Microsoft who gets paid to make sure that Outlook doesn't suck.

Has anybody asked him if he has to have the delete button in the dumbest place possible?

Have they ever tried not doing it the dumb dumb way?

Steve Jobs would have fired this guy, but not before making him cry like a little girl.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for this idea.

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:08 PM
  • The issue is not yet fixed.

Sad to see such stupid UX

Who is the UI engineer for this? Please fire them immediately.

Monday, May 8, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Adding further comment and frustration to this 4 YEAR OLD POST.  Please fix this problem Microsoft!  What are we paying for?!?!?
    Friday, June 23, 2017 2:45 PM
  • I also hate this and already deleted some mails by accident. It is ridiculous it is still not fixed.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:09 PM
  • The only thing I've found is to enable Touch mode, there is a drop down at the top right to enable Touch/Mouse Mode, a the pointer finger will then appear.  You then need to click on Touch Mode.  This gets rid of the Red X but also enlarges the options in your top ribbon slightly.  I don't think anything is removed from the ribbon but I haven't compared the differences yet but it's a step in the right direction.  4 years for this bug is ridiculous.

• Edited by Butti216 Friday, September 1, 2017 1:44 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 1:39 PM
  • what is the point of allowing you to customize ribbons if hardly anything can be customized. I keep deleting emails accidentally with this idiotic Delete button RIGHT NEXT TO REPLY. How ignorant the developer must have been not seeing this as a potential problem.
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:30 PM
  • I join the crowd of users that find this delete button misplaced. I found one fix acceptable being the one proposed by Rex.
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Sorry - but the answer it is hard coded does Not help with the issues of a Bad design !

Was someone thinking that it would help clean Up mail - by Placing a Delete button beside the Scroll bar ?

Was it the same person that though a Ghost scroll bar in the Folder view was Neat as well ?

Don't let users simply move to the scroll bar and Use It,  Make them wait a moment for it to appear... Its not like they use it all the time !

Same with the Folder redesign - what used to take a one screen on my Laptop is not 8 Screen - who decided that the spacing between Mails Files should be 3 lines ???

Please invite me to you next Product walk though or design review,  I'll do my best to help keep you focused on Improving your products and NOT simply implementing Useless annoying changes because your Bored and need to make us Hunt for where things have gone to Keep our productivity Down !

Don

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:14 PM
  • This hardcoded issue need to be fixed (waiting 4+ years) and it's clear it affects a lot of people.

This is a calamity UX experience.

André Melancia | Developer / DBA / Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) | Andy.PT

Friday, February 2, 2018 12:31 PM
  • I just spent several minutes looking for a very important email I swear I had flagged. WHY DID I FIND IT IN THE DELETE FOLDER?
    Friday, February 16, 2018 3:45 PM
  • found a solution :

Go to:  View > View Settings > Other Settings > remove tick from 'Automatic Column Sizing' 

You can now adjust the Flag column to such a size where the 'X - delete' button is hidden/out of reach.

The flag seems to be always on the right side along with and before the X button, and we couldn't even customize the width of the Flag Status column. To make things misleadingly worse, if the position of the flag replaces that of the X button's, pressing the flag functions as if you still press the X button anyway. (Office Pro Plus 2016)

By the way, is there an 'Undo delete' function anywhere? Or do I really have to:

1. Go to the 'Deleted Items' Folder

2. Select the deleted mail

3. Right-click to open context menu

4. Go to 'Move'

5. Select 'Inbox'

???

A simple CTRL + Z seems to be able to do that...at least if you haven't done any other action yet.

Monday, March 19, 2018 1:00 PM
  • This thread has already 5 years anniversary and there's still no god damn change on that X button . . . 
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:27 PM
  • Yep, Rebe, this is my 63 month anniversary reply. I'd still like a fix. Thanks for the idea of hiding the column be manual resizing, but I'd still like a genuine divorce of the buttons. 
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:58 AM
  • I can confirm that this issue STILL PERSISTS in Outlook 2019. What a horrible HORRIBLE design choice. So too with the "New Email" button atop the list of folders on the left hand side. What a waste of valuable screen real estate. Oh, and don't get me started with the "header status" column continually reappearing after deleting an email. MORE wasted screen space. Just not efficient Microsoft! Let the users decide how their information should be presented.
    Monday, December 17, 2018 4:45 PM
  • This is so damn frustrating. I like Rex's solution except that the Touch vs. Mouse settings are global across the Office suite which is too stupid. I should be able to enable specifically Touch mode just for Outlook.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:55 PM
  • This is crazy to have no fix.

I use a laptop, with different external displays in different environments, so need to resize each time to avoid accidental deleting.

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:06 AM
  • I'm not happy with Office 2016.My productivity has decreased, really!

I spend a lot of time doing clicks, and many functionalities get worse. A lot of screen space wasted: but my laptop still has a 17" screen, not a 42" !!!!

And this is the worst functionality of all!!!!

• Edited by FedericoC2 Monday, April 15, 2019 10:50 AM a
    Monday, April 15, 2019 10:48 AM