none
OCS 2007 R2 to Lync 2010 cross forest migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , We have forest A with OCS 2007 R2 .

we are planning to implement new AD forest with 2008 R2 and migrate and coexistense OCS 2007 and Lync 2010 across forest.

both forest will same same sip address , our requirement is when we migrate users usign admt to new forest they should also communicate with old forest ocs.

please confirm how this to be done.

Jsaz
    Monday, September 5, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• A few things you will need to consider :

1.setup federation between the 2 forests: this will allow them to communicate back and forth. I am not sure how the 2 identical sip domains on each forest would behave. I'd think it should be OK. Would recommend testing this in lab first.

2. If you want users to be able to look up each other- setup a sync between the 2 forests, MIIS.

3.Since it would be a cross forest migration of first AD accounts ; would recommend doing a dbimpexp to export\import contacts for the users.

Have a questions:

Is the requirement to move to different forest only because you want to use AD 2008 R2? If thats the case you should be able to upgrade your AD in the same forest itself.

Cheers, Shravan
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:45 PM
  •  same same sip address , our requirement is when we migrate users usign admt to new forest they should also communicate with old forest ocs.

please confirm how this to be done.

Nothing would prevent you from using the same SIP namespace in two different forests, however you won't be able to communicate (and effectively coexist) across the forests.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Hi,Jsaz

I don't think it's possible and it's no supported by Microsoft as far as I know.

In my opinion,the best option is deploying OCS R2 in the new forest and using  DBIMPEXP to backup the contact lists and migrate the users from old forest to new forest,then upgrade OCS R2 to Lync in the new forest.

Some more information about OCS forest migration for your reference.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-MY/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/a165cc3e-2b91-4bfd-9348-b84bce528a66

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/ced126e6-172f-4840-ab28-77ecb431a8f0

Regards,

Sharon 

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:50 AM