Error code 0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I facing problem when I try to send e-mail out and I receive the below error message.

This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501].

Anyone know the solution?

Thank you.

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:01 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

The error "0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501" comes from trying to submit a message on the Exchange transport. The code 0x0004b9 is an ecNullObject from Store, indicating that the failure occurred because an object referenced was null. This implies that this user was having some intermittent networking issue that happened to hit at the time the message was submitted.

This behavior is by design and the error is expected when network failures occur. If your computer is connected via wireless or a WAN link, then random failures on the network can be common, and that would explain the behavior. Even on a local area network, RPC failures are not uncommon.

In general, this problem is likely caused by intermittent network connectivity issues, or possibly out-of-resource problem on the client machine.

So I suggest you check your network environment to see if there is something abnormal.

Thanks,

Elvis

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:20 AM
  • ipconfig /flushdns

• Marked as answer by Doreenng Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

The error "0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501" comes from trying to submit a message on the Exchange transport. The code 0x0004b9 is an ecNullObject from Store, indicating that the failure occurred because an object referenced was null. This implies that this user was having some intermittent networking issue that happened to hit at the time the message was submitted.

This behavior is by design and the error is expected when network failures occur. If your computer is connected via wireless or a WAN link, then random failures on the network can be common, and that would explain the behavior. Even on a local area network, RPC failures are not uncommon.

In general, this problem is likely caused by intermittent network connectivity issues, or possibly out-of-resource problem on the client machine.

So I suggest you check your network environment to see if there is something abnormal.

Thanks,

Elvis

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Hi folks

We've got a user with the same issue over here. He got the following Error:

Sent: 05 March 2009 14:36
    Subject: briefcase guide

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:  briefcase guide
          Sent:     05/03/2009 14:36

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

UsernameXY on 05/03/2009 14:36
                This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501].

The Client looks like this:
    Windows XP Prof SP3, Outlook 2003

The Server looks like this:
    Windows 2008 SP1, Exchange 2007 SP1, RollupPackage4

What i found in another Forum is:
    Do a Client-Repair of Outlook and this could work.

Other ideas of mine:
    If not, clear the Caching-Mode and reset it.
    Or Create a new MailProfile and try to do this

Because the problem occures only at one users mailbox and it's not that good reproducable.

Friday, March 6, 2009 9:43 AM
  • First step I would try updating the Offline Address Book (Outlook: Tools -> Send/Receive -> Download Addressbook). Check here: http://anandpv.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AFCCA5892B178862!1993.entry

Anand
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:33 AM
  • When I get this I just send the message again. It almost always works. Sending it twice has never failed. That our network is that flaky seems unlikely, but what Elvis said seems to the usual cause for me. I would only try the more involved repairs and cache clears if the problem remains after sending it twice.

I get the problem every week or 2.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:20 PM
  • ipconfig /flushdns

• Marked as answer by Doreenng Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:51 PM
  • There are a few solutions here for the Outlook add-in when using Outlook 2010 and an exchange server:

1. ensure cached exchange mode is on

2. if it must be off for some reason, then invitations must be sent from 'live meeting transport' rather than from the user account

• Proposed as answer by TXgardener Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:25 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:25 PM
  • http://skype4b.uk/2014/10/07/powershell-scripts-to-export-and-import-legacy-exchange-x500-addresses/

When migrating across AD forests or even performing an offline exchange migration the most over looked process is migrating the user’s legacy X500 address. The reason this is so important is because local email is delivered using the x500 address rather than the SMTP address normally associated with internet email. When you move the user from one unrelated exchange to another the X500 address is not migrated. This means that when users attempt to send an email to a previous contact in their name cache they will receive a bounce back and failed delivery. In order to prevent this situation occurring you can use Powershell to export the legacy X500 address to CSV and then import this into the new AD user object. If you do not have access to Powershell in the legacy domain you can use CSVDE to achieve the same objective.

Export the Legacy X500 Address

Powershell

Get-ADUser -SearchBase “OU=legacyusers,DC=domain,DC=local” -Filter * -Properties SamAccountName,legacyExchangeDN | Select-Object SamAccountName,legacyExchangeDN | Export-CSV C:\UserExport.csv -NoTypeInformation

CSVDE

CSVDE -s <domain controller FQDN> -d “OU=legacyusers,DC=domain,DC=local” -p SubTree -l SamAccountName,legacyExchangeDN -r objectClass=user -f C:\UserExport.csv

Importing the Legacy Exchange X500 Address to New Domain

On a domain controller or a machine with Active Directory Powershell module installed, copy the UserExport.csv to the root of the C:\ drive

Create a Powershell Script file called legacyusers.ps1. In this file type the following code

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

$Input = Import-CSV C:\UserExport.csv

ForEach ($ADUser in $Input){

if ($ADUser.legacyExchangeDN){

Set-ADUser -Identity $ADUser.SamAccountName -add @{proxyAddresses=”X500:$($ADUser.legacyExchangeDN)”}

}

}

Save the file and execute on the domain controller. You can check this has worked by opening an affected AD user object in the new domain and viewing the Attribute proxyAddresses to ensure that this has been added successfully.

Friday, March 25, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Does the user login with his Microsoft account? or is he using his AD acount? I have the same issue here at our office?
    Monday, May 23, 2016 10:29 AM
  • I am having the same issue now and this is nothing to do with connectivity problems as other emails go out without any problems, but just not emails to a specific yahoo email account.
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 10:40 AM
  • I had a user who had this issue because her email was hacked and her address was being used to send hundreds of spam messages. Her sending privileges were blocked by O365 for a time. Office365 places limits on mail to prevent spamming, etc. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx#RecipientLimits

The only reason I found out (since this error message was not helpful whatsoever) is because I had her try to send an email from the Web Outlook and it said that she had reached her sending recipient limit. I then looked in Exchange Admin Center>Mail Flow>Message Trace and looked at her sent messages for that day which were all bogus messages. I had the user change their password and they had to wait out their sending penalty time.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:35 PM
  • I had a user who had this issue because her email was hacked and her address was being used to send hundreds of spam messages. Her sending privileges were blocked by O365 for a time. Office365 places limits on mail to prevent spamming, etc. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx#RecipientLimits

The only reason I found out (since this error message was not helpful whatsoever) is because I had her try to send an email from the Web Outlook and it said that she had reached her sending recipient limit. I then looked in Exchange Admin Center>Mail Flow>Message Trace and looked at her sent messages for that day which were all bogus messages. I had the user change their password and they had to wait out their sending penalty time.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:36 PM