none
How do I put a 'logoff' and 'switch user' icon on desktop??? RRS feed

• Question

• the most common functions used are hidden behind a little arrow in the start menu. the system I am setting up is constantly being switched between users, and they don't want to know anything about pressing the windows -s keys to switch to their accounts. they want to click on a big icon that is handy to see. while I'm at it they also want a Log Off icon on the desktop and don't want to go clicking around looking for it.

the only command that I can remember is shutdown -r that I can put in a macro, link to the desktop via short cut, and change the icon. what are the commands for fast user switching and logoff?

btw, I had to shut off UAC control because the users had to confirm every icon the clicked on before they can use the program. The red security shield comes up and won't go away so I had to shut that off too. I hope that they still get warnings for the other features that are still active...

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:59 AM

Answers

• You can also make an instant Lock Computer by clicking the
    "Windows Logo Key + L", for further shortcuts, check Help And Support Section in your Windows.

Good luck

Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:29 PM

All replies

• To create a "Switch User" shortcut on the desktop, create a new shortcut on the desktop and put this line into the "Type the location of the item" box:     rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

To create a "Logoff" shortcut on the desktop create a new shortcut on the desktop and put this line into the "Type the location of the item" box:    C:\WINDOWS\system32\logoff.exe

You can change the icons on either shortcut to anything to want.

Vidiat
    Friday, December 8, 2006 8:18 PM
  • Thanks a lot, that's a good start!!!

If I can get LockWorkStation to land on the select user screen it would be great. LockWorkStation does just what it says.

Though one can make a second selection to opt to select a different user, LockWorkStation doesn't take one to the Select User Screen.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 3:08 AM
  • You can also make an instant Lock Computer by clicking the
    "Windows Logo Key + L", for further shortcuts, check Help And Support Section in your Windows.

Good luck

Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:29 PM
  • TweakVI (similar to TweakXP) will create all the buttons, shortcuts and many more tweaks for you by the click of a button...

http://www.totalidea.com/content/tweakvi/tweakvi-index.html

Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:35 PM
  • Review these information regarding TweakVI software "Reply":

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=822758&SiteID=17

Good luck

Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:59 PM
  • I have tried this and it works great. Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:16 PM